View Full Version : The Crucible

Chris The Great
December 17th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Since alot of you can't post, (or are afraid to post), and browsing thing forum is a real pain (turn off Javascript), I'd like to share that The Crucible, a forum dealing with E&W but with a stronger interesting in chemistry and technology, and science in general, has reopened.

http://xsorbit29.com/users5/crucible/index.php

This isn't a plug, come if you want, if not then we don't care. We are not trying to replace RS, as has been stated many times RS is THE place for E&W. It is not the place for chemistry and technology, so a new forum was created that focused on both of these things as well as E&W, which sciencemadness lacks.

Marvin
December 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Risky move :D

Fair enough, but if we want a closer focus on chemistry and technology why would we go there rather than sciencemadness (for example)?

Chris The Great
December 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Sciencemadness doesn't allow weapons discussion of any sort, so anything related to that is not allowed at all. Also, sciencemadness focuses mostly on chemistry, we're hoping to have the crucible focus on a broader range of technical aspects, such as electronics, metalwork, etc. in addition. If you want, you can go to sciencemadness, it's still the best forum for chemistry discussion. And RS is the best site for reading E&W discussions (not much actual discussion going on at the moment).

Marvin
December 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
The tech section at SM is weak, in the same way non explosive chemistry here is weak. The more forums overlap though the more areas are going to get diluted rather than reinforced. I can see why weapons/explosives and electronics would make sense but to the outside world that equates to 'bomb' and 'timer'.

simply RED
December 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Over 90% of the internet providers in Bulgaria have blocked the forum adress.
In some cases it gives error in some cases only the first page is visible and noth more.
The Bulgarian phohe operator finally blocked the adress too...

Marvin
December 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
What error do you get from a blocked IP?

I get a "Forbidden" but that comes from the roguesci server itself.

Jacks Complete
December 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM
A spoof 403 could come from anywhere on the route. Don't take it as an idication that it's the RS server.

Marvin
January 4th, 2006, 08:56 AM
A spoof 404 could come from anywhere on the route. Don't take it as an indication that the file is really missing.

The 403 has happened before for my IP range and its turned out to be an IP ban at the RS end. Short of a message from an admin telling me my range isnt banned, but my packets never reach the server I don't see the need to look for other explanations.

megalomania
January 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Try it now. I have removed almost all banned IP addresses. It looks like the list got screwy and added wildcards to addresses that in turn blocked a bit more than it should have. Hopefully that's one more fire out, one more leak plugged, on to the next crisis on my list.

me234
January 30th, 2006, 04:18 AM
What I'm wondering about, is the issue of double posting, i.e. posting the same thing, but on both forums. The way I see it, is that discussions are going to overlap, it's unavoidable. But I'll feel like a bit of a shit if I'm going around posting the same thing on two closely related, and somewhat collaborated, sites.
As for now I'm treating the Crucible as a backup for Home (i.e. here), that if RogueSci goes down again, then discussion on all the same topics can simply continue, but on a different forum.
That being said, if I have anything to say pertinent to a Crucible discussion that doesn't come up here, I'm definitely going to post it there. What I'm then worried about is that people might not know to go look at the Crucible for this info because it isn't as well known yet. Perhaps some mutual advertising may come in handy somewhere on both sites???
Do any admin folk have a problem with this approach to things? Mega? NBK? Chris? Jacks?

nbk2000
January 31st, 2006, 12:22 AM
What you do on other boards doesn't concern us here.

However, posting the same thing at two different places that have common interests and shared membership could cause discussion to be fragmented across the two boards, rather than unified under one.

If RS.org is down, go to the crucible for discussion, otherwise keep it here so it's all unified.