View Full Version : NJ3 with potassium jodine

Viper III
January 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
does it work if I take 9% ammoniak and potassium jodine instead of normal jodine ?

and yess , i know...its dangerous like hell...

festergrump
January 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
What is ammoniak and what is jodine? Why do we not have these chemicals here in the USA? Why do they not have shift keys on the computer keyboards in your area of the world? Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that YOU may be dangerous as hell?

meselfs
January 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Ammoniak is probably ammonia, and jodine is iodine. As a bonus, here's a photo of me:http://www.urbandictionary.com/images.php?imageid=30189

Anyway, potassium iodide will not work. The triiodide ion will not work either. It's not really that dangerous since it's not appalingly powerful, but it's sensitivity is simply obnoxious to the point that very few people will waste their iodine on it.

Are you Dutch?

Viper III
January 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Are you dutsh ? ...is this the same meaning like "are you nuts? " ??

I live in Austria....and I am just interestet if it work because my chemistry teacher told me that he makes NI3 with potassium jodine...

whatever, maybe he talked nonsense.

hereno
January 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM
No you want I2, simply dissolve KI in HCl (creating HI) then oxidize with H2O2, I2 precipitates.

meselfs
January 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Oh no, Dutch means "Of Netherlands".

"Are you Dutch" means "Are you from the Netherlands?"

hereno, there's a nice way to make iodine.

kurtz
January 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM
more obviousness:

expect flames when using German chemical language on an English board. (its iodine, I, in English)

> The triiodide ion will not work either

Brauer: "For lecture demonstrations the explosive nitrogen triiodide is
prepared more simply by precipitating a KI3 solution with concentrated
ammonia and washing the precipitate with alcohol and
ether on a suction filter."

meselfs
January 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the correction, kurtz.