View Full Version : Potassium Chloride

ddog
August 11th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Sorry bout that last message I posted, "rocket" but since Potassium Chlorate is a oxidizer, does Potassium Chloride have any oxidizing/explosive properties?

cutefix
August 11th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Potassium chloride is inert for pyrotechnic composition,but you can create a violet colored flame by dipping metal needle in its solution,and placing in the Bunsen flame.(basic chemistry lesson?).
Indeed that salt was deceiving,when I was still a boy in grade school,and ignorant about pyrotechnics.I was asking older pyro enthusiast neighbor, about the white powder that flashes if he placed a small lump on burning coal..He told me .it was just potassium chloride ,.I was pleased to know because,there was salt of similar level in the medicine cabinet(table salt replacer).I tried putting a pinch of that material on the coals in the fire place but got no similar result.I repeated it many times.There was no expected flash but I burned my fingers instead in these process and scorched my nose too….Ironically, that painful experience,increased my interest on fireworks and explosives .It took me sometime to realize that ,the powder my neighbor was using is potassium chlorate

kingspaz
August 11th, 2001, 11:15 AM
ok, potassium chloride = KCl, thats potassium and clorine
potassium chlorate = KClO3, thats potassium, chlorine and oxygen.

the IDE part of Cloride indicates no oxygen atoms.
the ATE part of chlorate indicates 3 oxygen atoms.

Lagen
August 11th, 2001, 01:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the ATE part of chlorate indicates 3 oxygen atoms.</font>
So, according to you, potassium sulfate, phosphate, silicate and chromate molecules all contain 3 oxygen atoms?

The general rules for naming polyatomic anions can be briefly summarized as follows:
-ide no oxygen -ate a common form, containing oxygen, as in chlorate ClO<sub>3</sub><sup>-</sup>, silicate SiO<sub>4</sub><sup>4-</sup>, sulfate SO<sub>4</sub><sup>2-</sup> -ite one less oxygen than -ate form, as in chlorite ClO<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup>, sulfite SO<sub>3</sub><sup>2-</sup>, nitrite NO<sub>2</sub><sup>-</sup> per-, -ate same charge, but contains one more oxygen than -ate form, as in perchlorate ClO<sub>4</sub><sup>-</sup>, perbromate BrO<sub>4</sub><sup>-</sup> hypo-, -ite same charge, but contains one less oxygen than the -ite form, as in hypochlorite ClO<sup>-</sup>, hypobromite BrO<sup>-</sup> thio- ~ replace an O with an S, as in thiosulfate S<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub><sup>2-</sup>, thiosulfite S<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub><sup>2-</sup>

kingspaz
August 11th, 2001, 05:44 PM
ooops sorry!!!
big mistake hey?...sorry. i forgot about the other ates and ides...sorry again!!!!
thanks for correcting me http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kingspaz (edited August 11, 2001).]

ddog
August 12th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Thanx alot for the info. I heard that potassium chlorate is really unstable, would Potassium perchlorate be the next best thing? Its for flash powder. BTW, what common names is Potassium perchlorate known as in supermarkets and such?

Lagen
August 12th, 2001, 08:36 AM
ddog, I think you should really really start searching this forum and the Internet for info, questions about subjects that have been discussed 100 times may be tolerated on Weirdpier (this ensures they have 1000's "worth" of posts there) but not here. And no, you cannot buy KClO4 in any supermarket in the world (except possibly some illegal cover installation for terrorist and weapons dealer use...)