View Full Version : Rogue Servers

nbk2000
January 28th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Found an interesting article on the construction of a 'stealth' fileserver that resides inside a modified UPS casing.

Hmmm....trying to think of how many public libraries, universities, and businesses have static IP's with broadband connections, and how hard would it be to give them a free UPS? ;)

http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/projectsilver/projectsilver.aspx

Naturally prices will have to come down a bit more before they become disposable, but I think it's possible that, one day, RS.org could exist not on any one server that can be shut down, but on a TOR'ified distributed network of stealth servers around the world.

Members would run a client application that would let them view and post, with the changes being distributed on an ad hoc basis to the various servers around the world.

Other possibilities are VoIP phones, since they require a broadband connection. Hell, maybe one day microwave ovens and refrigerators could server as RS servers (since everything is getting wired nowadays) having had modified chips installed at the factory by a member. :)

Try shutting THAT down JBTs! :p

I've seen HTML servers on a chip that cost about $5 that could be hooked up to payphone lines and used as dial-up hosts. Slow as fuck, but any port in a storm, and could serve as a means of getting the log-in info for a faster node of the RS blacknet.

bipolar
January 28th, 2006, 05:37 PM
good idea.

Also check out i2p.net they have an anonymous network that is different from most others, it allows a host to run any type of server with a .i2p domain running the i2p software yet remain anonymous then anyone else running the i2p software just points their proxy settings to their local host and it will connect to .12p domains the the secure anonymous network. They already have it working. It is still slow, they say all they need are lots of users in the system to boost anonimity and speed when it is officially ready for release.

Also as network seperate from the internet there is FIDOnet(google it) which is a modem based network independant from the internet for sending email messages.

Ive been reading more about Packet Radio and PSK(phased key shifting) for data modes over ameteur radio. With this new PSK method you just connect a sound card on a computer to a transceiver(or scanner just to receive) and with just a 5 watt transmitter(like a handheld one) you can transmit ascii text messages 200-300 miles easily. if you use directional antennas and terrain masking and other radio security methods you can remain untracable.

You could also set up some kind of encryption system(which is illegal in the US). Of course you wouldnt want to register for a ham license. But it would be possible to create some kind of relaying network to distibute information even in a SHTF scenario untracably

PSK is suppost to be pretty resistant to jamming also.

Definently something to look into.

FUTI
February 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
I have trouble to reply to this thread so I will try to post just this sentence and if it goes through do and edit after.

Good Lord it worked.
to NBK2000: awesome link as always. Just curious how did you find it? Did you search for lockpicking tool or server since both thing can be found on that site, or that spy scandal in Russia ring your bell.
to bipolar: I like the packet radio idea. I read some thing about it in the past but gained impresion it is slow as hell. For buletin board type forum would be OK, or maybe some version of crude text-based page viewable under Lynx. What about NBK server mounted on mobile platform with mobile phone hooked up to it. Conection would be over PC to phone program. Kewlish style scrambling would be merging usable transferable data with some voice file generated with text-to-voice program (use Bible for example as text file;)) with some program. Just dial the phone to get the forum if its down! PSK is beyond my knowledge so I take your word it is better..

Jacks Complete
February 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I've read an idea for a micro-sat system that does roughly this.

You launch a solar-powered microsat over the heads of everyone, and it acts as a server system for whatever you wish to put on it. Obviously, since it is directly overhead some of the time, it will always be there, but not, due to orbital mechanics. This is why you use a network, to ensure coverage. They could each transmit on a different frequency, or range of frequencies, including visible light or IR, and stay in a RAID network through updates whenever they had line of sight to one another. Data uplinks would be more tricky, of course, but the majority of data would be sent up on the disks beforehand, to prevent the possibility of the CIA remotely turning the whole system off!

Sightly more expensive than subverting a regular household utensil/appliance, though.