View Full Version : What would you put in an emergency kit

ImagineReality
January 31st, 2006, 07:46 AM
Ok so you have got to leave for some reason. Maybe you have been accused of something you didn't do, maybe you did do something, maybe you just want to leave or maybe the end is nie. Whatever the reason the question I am asking is what would your kit contain? Obviously different kits will contain different things, but this is just a kit to be used for basic problem situations as listed above.

Ok well my kit would I think contain:

A decent backpack of medium size
Lockpicks
A basic small tool kit
Money
Clothing of varies kinds (Would have to be changed with the season)
Small amount of food and water
Sleeping Bag
Laptop with wireless internet
Torch

Well that's my basic emergency kit. I have probably missed all sorts of things, so anyone who can suggest a better one please do.

If this thread is no good for this forum then please delete it.

nbk2000
January 31st, 2006, 08:43 PM
Well now, let's get an idea of your scenario, eh?

If it's the end of civilization as we know it, then a laptop and money are pointless, as they'll be no internet or power, nor commerce, to use either of these things.

Now, if it's running from the piggies, you should have the cache buried somewhere away from anywhere you normally frequent, otherwise they might have the place staked out and catch you when you go to get your stuff.

Since it's to be buried for a long time, and not something you need (or want) to be getting into except in dire emergency, you must plan accordingly.

Weapons:

Pistol w/ silencer + 100 rounds
Rifle + 10 magazines + 1,000 rounds
Knife
Explosive (castable), 10+ pounds in 1lb blocks, plus detonators (several dozen of both fuse and electric), and ancillary accessories such as liners/wire/safety fuse/etc.

Grenade shells, ready for loading, with fuzes.

Ballistic Armor, IIA, cheap. Plus helmet.

Tools:

Flashlight, hi-power (like a surefire) + spare lamps + lithium batteries (10+ year storage life)

Night Vision Scope. The cheap $100 that uses a squeeze generator for power.

Money, in the form of shrink-wrapped $10 rolls of quarters, at least a thousand dollars worth. Oh, and a shitload of gold bullion coins, in 1oz. size.

Clothes, both camo and 'civilian', for both hot and cold weather, vacuum bagged. No need for underwear nor shoes, as you don't need underwear, nor are you presumably going to fleeing barefoot. If you are barefoot, you've got money and a gun so getting shoes shouldn't be an issue. ;)

A knapsack/duffel to carry it all in.

And it's all in a properly sealed, deoxygenated, and dissicated cache tube.

Weapons to fight, tools to move at night, clothes to blend in either country or city, plus money to buy what you need. That's about all you need, really.

Anything else you need you can either buy or take with what you have on hand.

Anything that's not going to last a decade underground is not included, so that means food, water, medicines, and other perishables.

Reason for the money being in quarters is that you never know when they'll have a currency recall and make the current money obsolete, like they have several times already. But that can't do that with the coinage, as it's too built-in to be replaced. Plus, paper rots, so coins it is.

Gold...self-explainatory.

ImagineReality
February 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM
Ok well my idea was not a permanent cache, it was more a sort of impromptu throw together bag. All the same your list is very complete, although i think lock picks should always be included. Also I thought money was made of cotton paper now as there were problems with the paper stuff getting destroyed in the wash. At least I thought money in the UK was like that, but America must be different.

teshilo
February 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM
You can ha TWO emergensy kit .Second as described NBK ,first in yours pockets or other places ON YOURS, in How to Kill vol 1-6 by Minnery present device used in prison this short metal tube contain short blade hidden in ass:) :) , money and lockpick ,.More modern version can contain compact device for quick killing: as poison needle,money: few hard banknotes and lockpick for standart locks ,also "shims" for hand cuffs.All packed in short tube this can hidden it in:belt ,wrists,legs,...Hmm for tube you can use plastic...

meselfs
February 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Hmnn...

I'd take:

Inconel can of Chlorine trifluoride
Magnesium firestarter kit
Lighter
Space blanket & cocoon
Water container, steel so that it can double as a pot for cooking
Plastic sheet, clear
Aluminium foil
Diamond file, fine
Steel file, medium, bastard cut
Chain saw chain, broken so that it's not a loop
Lots of high quality cordage
CA glue
Perhaps a blasting kit...

I'm not counting wrench, Swiss knife, saw kite, and other tools because I already have those in my pocket everywhere I go :->.

A laptop? You've got to be kidding me... or is this urban survival?

ImagineReality
February 3rd, 2006, 03:53 AM
A laptop? You've got to be kidding me... or is this urban survival?

Lol yeah for me this was more running away from the cops sort of survival. I mean you have to keep up with the news and it can be used for many other things. With a wireless connection you can get internet all over the place. Right now I can turn my laptop on and just near my house there are 3 unsecured home networks, and the only one that is secured is using the default router password from netgear.

Jacks Complete
February 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
So you are going to sit and post on a forum while the police close on you? Bizarre. The Lithium batteries in a mobile or laptop are the rechargable kind, and they die after about two months of not being used.

I'd add a traceless mobile phone and a few sims that could be used as needed, with a small handheld recharger, of the winding type. It would also double as a blasting box.

If you have plans with others, add a pair of radios. Stash a few dozen long life AA & AAA batteries, too, for power for things like torches, phones, NVG, etc. that you can scavenger as you go.

I'd also suggest a good knife - a machete type of thing. I can't see many people cutting a tree down with a swiss army knife, at least, not more than once!

Grab one of those little survival tins, too. The wire saw makes a great garrotte. Fishing line can feed you, or tripwire. Fish hooks hurt and are easily hidden as needed.

A light water proof, two colour reversible jacket - dark colour one side (black or navy) and light the other side (beige or light grey) - is likely to be a lifesaver. If being chased, run around a corner, and reverse it. Then walk off in a second direction. Your followers are likely chasing the running man in the dark jacket, ID'd as John Doe, not the man walking along in a pale jacket. It also lets you select the general colour for the majority of situations, making you less likely to be made, but not obvious like actual cammo would be.

Chris The Great
February 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
With the laptop, you can pull out information on making some trap perfect for the situation you are in. I know most people can't remember every detail, the laptop allows you to have all that information when you need it.

Plus, you can alert the rest of us when the crackdown starts, and give us all a head start over the police headed our way.

Jacks Complete
February 5th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Since the UK police tend to co-ordinate these things, everyone would be jumped on at the same time. They do a series of raids on (suspected) terrorists, pedophiles, etc. every so often, often taking 30 houses at once.

It has been shown that too much information makes you a bad leader and decision maker. A good small team always beats an average but larger team when the small team knows *less* about the situation than the bigger team. Knowing too much leads to a failure to act, or act late, or to keep the forces split because of some other aspect. The smaller team, however, goes all out towards the one objective, and wins.

Setting a trap that you are reading from a laptop would be a damned silly thing to do. Odds are, you wouldn't have the bits you needed anyway! Just read and learn now, and you can improvise when the time comes.

cyclonite4
March 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM
How large is the storage capacity on a PDA these days? Surely they could hold more than enough information in raw text format?

A laptop is bulky, and is rarely worth the space and wieght in consumes in such a stiuation. As NBK said, if you need one, steal one when your on the run (that way you get the latest in technology too, rather than having yours be a peice of shit in a decade :P).

Also, if you've got the piggies chasing you, they can probably have your ISP disconnect your wireless service, or use it to track you!

cyclosarin
January 17th, 2007, 07:17 AM
How do you move? Would you want a car/motorcycle/mountain bike stashed away to avoid the attention of stealing a car or using one you own?

Also some kind of (false) identification that you could use if you needed to throw someone off, something common that's easily faked.

QzarBaron
January 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
My kit for all out war/nuclear meltdown/uprising/natural disaster/zombie outbreak/etc. includes:

Medical:
Simple military surplus field dressings
First aid materials
Desinfectants
Potassium Iodide
etc.

Weapons related:
1000 rounds .22 ammo
4 Ruger 10/22 30 round magazines
250 rounds .41 ammo
4 Khar Micro magazines
Knife

Assorted items:
Gold (brilliant idea NBK)
Lock picks
Wire cutters
Storm matches
Lighter
Rope
Survival clothes (rugged pants, wool jackets, etc.)
And anything I might have at the time in my lab (no way am I storing unstable materials in my closet).

As for transportation I have my car as well as several vehicles in the nearby area that I could... borrow if the situation called for it.

And obviously fake IDs/Passports

tiac03
January 24th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Personally if I was preparing for "End of Civilization" / Escape. I'd Focus my efforts on Hiding place preparation.

Underground Bunker in the middle of the woods sound's right. Generator and battery power For lighting. Stores of nonperishable foods and clothing. I'd be armed to the teeth and some sort of small and quick transportation for quick fuel/food raids.

If Running from the law?

I'd just stay in the area but get disguised. Cops are looking for a "enter description here", dye/cut/grow your hair, age yourself with makeup and blend into the heards of sheeple. They won't stop everyone in a big city to ask for ID.

First thing they will do is block off exit points, and they will assume you have run off anyways.

Get an under the table job.

Biggest issue would be to find a reasonably comfortable place to live.

So my kit would include
-Cash
-clothes
-makeup kit
-Basic first aid
-hair dye

Then once you get settled in you can find a job and keep living like that until the dust has settled.

Then either continue to live like that or get out of town once they stop watching as closely and get "lost" in another city/country.

.... But thats just crazy talk... and it's late so I may really be getting slightly nutty...

stupid939
January 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
If you read the book "Bulletproof Privacy: How to Live Hidden, Happy, and Free" you would find what to do if you all of a sudden need to leave.

It is kind of an absurd idea, but basically you should set up a house/apartment at least an hour from where you live, and start paying for gas, water, electricity, etc. You should always spend cash, and if you started paying everything off a few months ahead of time (including phone bills) you would not be on any of the lists of newly activated phone accounts or anything, and it would be hard to find you. You would most likely want to get a new identity, but since you never know when you are going to get in trouble, this is kind of useless.

It is actually a good book, but it would take a lot of money and time to set all this up.

Personally, I would agree with something like what cyclosarin and just take some money and hit the road.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Also, if you've got the piggies chasing you, they can probably have your ISP disconnect your wireless service, or use it to track you!
Wifi is not controlled by your ISP. Wireless access points/routers are consumer owned, and only have a range of ~300 feet, so if you're on the run and using the wifi card, you're on someone elses wireless network(assuming one's even in range.)

You'd need to be using a PCMCIA/ExpressCard/USB CDMA/GSM/3G card for them to turn anything off, and at that point they'd be using it to track you since the card gets you online via the cellphone networks.

jellywerker
January 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM
My kit would be small and efficient, and very personalized to my area. Something of a size that I could shove into the bottom of a messenger bag under my normal stuff (think about it, if they stop you, they might be about to let you go and then they see you are carrying a backpack filled with food and tools, it'll raise some eyebrows, and you might just have to go down to the station for "questioning") So I'd probably take something like this:

nalgene waterbottle + some aqua-mira taped to the inside of the lid
small set of picks (maybe just a bogata duo, diamond+rake+wrench = all you need :) )
a few "powerbar" type food bars
reversible jacket (waterproof of course)
beanie, I go no where without it, and it makes sleeping outside so much more bearable. I can always flip it inside out if the color becomes a clue to any pursuers
cell phone (seperate use one, probably s smartphone for web access and gps and such, they only run about $200 now, +3-4 sim cards from the trash and a few batteries)
map of my area
small powerful flashlight
cash, about $500 or so, in $10's and $20's
lighter
knife
multitool (pliers, screwdrivers, hammer if need be, etc...)
some antibacterial ointment+a roll of cloth medical tape (so much better than a bandaid or gauze)

I'd shove all this in the nalgene and just leave it in the bottom of my bag, ready and on hand when needed.

Meawoppl
January 24th, 2007, 11:48 PM
When it comes to the last resort kit, having a headlamp is great. My gf (now xgf) got me this one from the discovery store:
http://shopping.discovery.com/product-59466.html

Very Sweet! Very small! Very lightweight! Great brightness too. The only downside is that it takes weird thin batteries. On the plus side though, you could store a ton of the batteries in a small place.

augoldminer
January 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM
End of civilization.
Gold and silver will be useless as money as there will be a over supply of it from body's, electronics, safe deposit boxes, bling from the useless people, dug from grave yards, fort Knox. and many other sources.

Bows and Arrows and the know how to make them. Bows are a good backup for guns. They are silent, They do not give away your location. And if you need a gun having a bow makes it easy to take guns from the useless people.
In some areas that gun ownership is outlawed, A bow is a good self defence option. And you can always trade a arrow [in the body]for a gun.

Military bases near where you live. Find out where they store there equipment . guns, ammo, heavy weapons, mre's. explosives. Also where the cops keep the the guns that they take from the useless people. Find out where the cops live. These homes are a good place to look for guns and ammo after the end of civilization. Learn how to do a compleat house search many people have one or more guns put away where they are real hard to find.

paroxysm
January 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
In this situation, where civilisation has ended, I would take one item, a knife, and thats it, if we survived before modern civilisation, we can still survive without it, if you know how.

If you need meat, snares or traps, If you need carbs, roots. fibre; plant material , its all about recovering lost knowledge, once recovered its easy. And if you know how to hide then you do not need a gun, or ammo, or money, just a place to stay, with resources such as national parks etc.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Knife, pistol, spare mags, spare ammo, lockpicks, jacket, wallet, lighters... probably some sterno fuel and ramen/spam/other good "camping food".

anonymous411
January 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Flexibility, adaptability and creativity will do more to see you through an emergency than the best checklist in the world.

In the end, skills, mental fortitude, and presence of mind are worth FAR more than supplies and money. For example, have you learned (and practiced) SERE basics? Do you know where to dumpster dive for high-quality, unspoiled food and water--and how to cache it once you find it? Are you a quick study at blending in with your environment? Can you array yourself and your belongings to look as much like an "average, normal citizen" as possible to avoid attracting attention? Would you know how to recognize a six-point surveillance team--and could you shake it? I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but the more you read, the better off you'll be. That said, here are a few tips you won't necessarily read everywhere else that I learned from experience:

* The ability to improvise multiple cache points and safe rooms is crucial. Don't be afraid to let it go: if this isn't a SHTF scenario, you can get food, water, supplies and clothing anywhere. And I can assure you that come crunch time, you aren't going to be that particular. Remember, when on the run, ABC: Always Be Caching.

* Best backpack food: a case of protein bars and a bottle of high-potency vitamins. Your adrenals are going to be stressed to the limit, so avoid junk food and caffeine. (Do I really need to mention staying away from drugs and alcohol?) I think Datrex ration bars taste the best of any "survival food", but ordinary protein bars are easier to find, cheaper, more nutritious, and allow you to blend in with the general population. Why sit around gnawing on a cube when you could be enjoying a Detour or a MetRx Big 100?

* If you're broke, in a hurry, and don't want to worry about finding food for a while, get yourself a jar of peanut butter for your backpack and a big-ass spoon. With 56 servings at 190 calories each, that's a lot of meals in a concentrated space. (And for what it's worth, protein bars and peanut butter go really well together).

* Easy, free way to cache water in an urban environment: refill empty two-liter bottles (or one-liters or 20 oz. bottles, for that matter) scooped from curbside recycling bins. Store water everywhere you think you might hole up. Store water in places you won't hole up. Think like a squirrel...ABC.

* Strengthen your back to the point that you're comfortable sleeping on the floor with your pack as a pillow and no padding whatsoever. If you're used to this kind of Spartan conditioning, it makes things a lot easier. In a crisis, you're going to need all the good-quality rest you can get, so you can't afford to have a finicky constitution.

* In some cases, a briefcase or messenger bag will blend in better than a backpack. Learn to travel light, and cache the rest. Once again, ABC.

* If you plan on staying in the same area for a few weeks, free trial memberships at gyms are awesome ways to inject an element of normalcy back into your life. It's great to be able to work out and shower whenever you want. Nobody's going to notice if you discreetly wash a few of your clothes in the bathroom sink of a handicapped stall, and hang them to dry in your locker. If you need to, blow dry them with the complimentary hair dryer. Nap on the gym roof in the day--and if you get caught, pass yourself off as a sunbather. Nothing wrong with a gym member getting a good-old fashioned suntan, is there?

* And speaking of showers, take care of yourself and STAY CLEAN. This is as much a morale booster/sign of self-respect as anything. Even if you're normally a slob, this is the one time in your life when you seriously need to stay neat and get some discipline. Keep your pack and cache sites as well-organized and tidy as possible.

* Items I used the most:
tiny LED flashlight attached to my jacket's zipper.
padlocks for my gym locker (and other appropriated storage lockers).
small Gerber multi-tool (or Leatherman Wave).
small battery-operated AM/FM radio from the 99 cent store
package of wet wipes and mini-bottle of hand sanitizer

* Good source of instant cash income if you're anywhere near a university: clinical trials and psychology research experiments. The rates are anywhere from $10 for a 20-minute survey, $100 for getting your teeth examined by a dental student as part of their final exams, $200 for a three-hour marketing focus group, and $3100 for an overnight four-day inpatient experimental medication trial. Not bad money at all! Passing for a "healthy normal" can be worth a lot, but even if you're messed up, you can probably find a study to treat what ails you.

* There's nothing quite like carrying around your entire life savings in cash to make you appreciate the value of a good money belt (or fanny-pack "cash pouch"). And whatever you do, never, EVER take it off--not even when you're sleeping, working out, or in the shower. Backpacks and their contents come and go, but the cash pack is forever. I used a small, stylish one made for i-pods, so I looked like your average yuppie out on a spree. Little did they know.

* DO NOT CARRY A PHONE. Not even a so-called anonymous one. Why? If I were hunting you down, all I'd need to do is monitor the call records of all your known associates, data-mine the common number out, get your location, and track your ass faster than James Kim's wife stranded on a snowed-in highway. Think about it.

* Likewise, if you're on the run, DO NOT LOG INTO YOUR E-MAIL. Read the above and think about it for two seconds.

* And finally, just because it's an emergency doesn't mean you can't be creative and keep your sense of humor. I once spent a weekend making a safe house out of a large concrete storage building on the roof of some random condominium complex in DC. Not only did I organize it, clean it, and lay up about a months' worth of food and water, I actually decorated it with stuff I found lying around in the boxes. My pieces de resistance of decor were: an improvised futon made from two pallets and foam insulation tightly wrapped in lovely pale green plastic sheeting, various National Geographic maps of the world, a huge, almost "Patton"-sized American flag on one wall, twinkling Christmas lights hung along all the rafters, and a disco ball hung smack-dab in the center of the room. PAR-TAY!! ROTFLOL I ended up moving on relatively soon, but what the hell....why not? It was grand while it lasted. I think someday I'll go back and take a picture, it's absolutely glorious.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM
* Likewise, if you're on the run, DO NOT LOG INTO YOUR E-MAIL. Read the above and think about it for two seconds.If it was of true importance, wifi rules ;)

I should point out its not like hollywood, it's not so simple to assosiate a single IP with an account at any given time (even with timestamps) due to the huge amount DHCP leases and logs ISPs have. If you really wanted to be a jackass, an uncapped modem from http://www.tcniso.net/ can go a long way since you can spoof it's MAC address as another customer's.

* DO NOT CARRY A PHONE. Not even a so-called anonymous one. Why? If I were hunting you down, all I'd need to do is monitor the call records of all your known associates, data-mine the common number out, get your location, and track your ass faster than James Kim's wife stranded on a snowed-in highway. Think about it.If a phone was really needed, then you could easily use a decent GSM phone such as a Motorola Razr and switch sim cards/change the IMEI(hacked firmware needed), and then remove the battery when not in use. You even can pick up prepaid TracPhones from Target for like $99 with 8 free hours of airtime.

Thinking harder, as for the tracking part, you don't have that capability. You neither work for the phone company nor are you a LEO. Tracking people's phones isn't a fast proccess, and it isn't very accurate unless there's a GPS transciever in the phone. Infact, someone who was informed could even totally eliminate tracking by using a uni-directional antenna. Hell, bounce the signal off of a building a few miles away.

Like I said, life isn't hollywood. People can't track you if you're informed ahead of time. It's sort of disappointing sometimes coming here and hearing people give such exaggerated examples. Misinformation helps noone.

nbk2000
January 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM
It all depends on who's tracking you down.

If it's the government, unlimited financial, technical, and manpower resources can be brought to bear on finding your ass.

This isn't to say that you'll get picked up the first day, simply to say that the odds are very much against you permanently evading capture.

If it's someone rich, they can hire people who can do a decent job with finding 99% of people.

If they're not rich, but like me, they could still do the job with search skills and social engineering for the majority of people, since most people make mistakes that can get them caught if they're not hip to them, like mobile phones.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
If they're not rich, but like me, they could still do the job with search skills and social engineering for the majority of people, since most people make mistakes that can get them caught if they're not hip to them, like mobile phones.While the information(for example a triangulation on a cellphone) can be SEd, there's still technical limitations to what can be done. It takes time to search through the secondary nodes surrounding the primary tower for the specific customer.... but after that it's just a few milliseconds to compare the signal levels and do the math part.

As for evading, I have confidence that someone who thought before acting such as yourself or me would have decent chances of not being caught as long as we got out of the primary perimeter.

anonymous411
January 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
"I should point out its not like hollywood, it's not so simple to assosiate a single IP with an account at any given time (even with timestamps) due to the huge amount DHCP leases and logs ISPs have."

I'm a former FFRDC research analyst who did contract work for JTF-CNO (CNA), a corporate intelligence HUMINT collection specialist, and a licensed private investigator. Trust me, I know what can and can't be done. "Simple" and "possible" are two different animals... if you're smart, you aren't going to take any chances whatsoever. As I've said, nine out of ten it won't matter because you aren't important enough to invest the resources in, but why risk it?

Using other people's wireless is a relatively good bet in normal circumstances, but in a life-or-death emergency when the heat is already on? I'm sorry, but FUCK having a computer. If you aren't willing to radically change everything about your lifestyle, you're as good as caught.

Not only should you not be using old e-mails, phone numbers, and mail drops, you shouldn't be communicating with anyone you ever knew. Because if you really matter, as sure as I'm sitting here, some bastard like me is going to be sitting square on top of it--monitoring your girlfriend, your employer, your mom, your dealer, your friends.

But hey, go ahead and feel "informed" and safe if you want. It's your ass.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm a former FFRDC research analyst who did contract work for JTF-CNO (CNA), a corporate intelligence HUMINT collection specialist, and a licensed private investigator.Would you mind proving this?

"Simple" and "possible" are two different animals.Did I say otherwise?

Using other people's wireless is a relatively good bet in normal circumstances, but in a life-or-death emergency when the heat is already on? I'm sorry, but FUCK having a computer.A laptop can be a very handy tool, I don't leave home without it.

Not only should you not be using old e-mails, phone numbers, and mail drops, you shouldn't be communicating with anyone you ever knew.I don't know about you, but if I was in trouble I'd make it my buisness to get my public key revoked to all the servers I have access to, I'd inform a few of my friends that they'd better pack their bags.

But hey, go ahead and feel "informed" and safe if you want. It's your ass.I've been in the scene for over 10 years now, and have a verifiable backround that proves I'm not talking out of my ass. I know the limitations of industry standard equipment, and the limitations of the actual software, protocols, and lines taking my data and getting it to you. I will feel threatened when you provide some proof that my understanding of the different communications layers(and the pieces of software managing them) involved are wrong, and that the government has magical tracking capabilities.

Sausagemit
January 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I can't belive nobody has mentioned a sling shot yet. They are extremely handy for killing rabbits, squirrels and other small meaty animals. They are virtually silent, have an unlimited ammount of amunition and can last a really long time if well taken care of. Hell, just keep a bunch of pre-cut surgical tubing in a bottle of olive oil in your stash.

Super Glue is another really handy item to have. It can be used to repair cuts that would normaly require stiches or at least some trouble to keep clean. I've glued my hands back together numerous times with that stuff with absoloutly no feeling of the cut within an hour and full use of my hand within a day with absouloutly no worries of infection. The only thing is you have to make shure the cut is clean and almost dry (usually the worst part) before application. The cool part about it is on the wide ones you can see the nerves growing across the gap the first day.

Truck stops (Petros, TAs, Flying Js) are exelent places to stop, take a shower, do your laundry and stock up on supplies. It doesn't matter if you shave in the bathroom, it doesn't matter if you stink because you havn't showered in a few days and most of all it doesn't matter what you look like/are wearing because I can garuntee there will be at least one person in that truck stop that will draw all the attention away from you. Pretty much all you have to know is the lingo wich isn't hard at all to pick up. I've never seen any wanted posters in a truck stop. Very rarely is there local news on the TV, usually just national news. The type of news that wouldn't worry about a thug of even NBK's stature.

Penut butter mixed with whey protien powder spread on a bannana or apple will last you all day if you only have time for one quick meal a day.

I would probabbly also keep a full small propane bottle for my torch tip. Makes it really easy to start fires. Would probabbly also keep a stash of gelled alcohol for starting fires and also as a distraction. Squirt some of that stuff on a tree and light it up.;)

Nihilist
January 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Another item that I haven't heard anyone mention is false identification, birth certificates, driver's license, passports, etc...All of these things could serve very useful if you needed to get out of the country or for any number of other reasons.

anonymous411
January 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM
"Would you mind proving this?"

What do you want? Copies of my FOUO research monographs, pay stubs, and my license number? LOL

Having a "verifiable background" around a forum like this doesn't strike me as a particularly brilliant idea. I don't have anything to prove, and neither should you--because for the most part, your posts speak for themselves. In all, you strike me as a highly intelligent, well-informed contributor who's very much worth reading. If I haven't established that kind of credibility yet, well, too bad for me. If you can think of some sort of test that doesn't involve revealing my identity or violating my NDAs, let me know.

"Simple" and "possible" are two different animals."
"Did I say otherwise?"

It certainly seemed that way when you equated "extreme examples" with "misinformation". Sure I was using an extreme example, but there's nothing misinformative about it. You are 100% correct that the average person has little to none of these capabilities. But I'm not an average person, and I'm not interested in the average person-- and I daresay neither are many of the fine gentlemen lurking around this forum.

"I will feel threatened when you provide some proof that my understanding of the different communications layers(and the pieces of software managing them) involved are wrong, and that the government has magical tracking capabilities."

There's nothing magical about it. But if you assume the sum total of technical capabilities of the United States government are a matter of public record, you're just plain wrong. Were you aware of everything outlined in the European Parliament's STOA report before it came out in 1998? If not, what makes you so certain our analysts haven't come up with anything new in the last nine years?

At this point, all I feel comfortable saying is this: for the love of Christ, stay away from the Tracphones.

Alexires
January 28th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Nihilist - While Novelty ID is a good idea, you must make sure that you don't get caught with two DIFFERENT ID's on you, cause that can suck balls very quickly.

Also, on the same topic, a friend of mine got a 6am door knock from the AFP (Aus Fedral Police) cause the idiot had been playing around with some ID on his work computer, got fired, and left it there.

Remember, PGP wipe is your friend. If you are making novelty ID, do it somewhere that is safe, and that you can cover your tracks afterwards.

Lucky for him, to be done for forgery, you need to have an intent to use it and he was just fucking around. If you are caught with it on you, I doubt you will be so lucky.

A laptop is a good idea, but personally I would go with a PDA, or, if you're cheap, a small handheld radio for news and whatever.

As well as that, I would take tooth floss with me too. The waxed cotton type (I don't know if there are any others). You'd be suprised how strong that stuff is, and it hurts to try and break out of if you are tied up. Also useful for good dental hygene *wink*.

Remember to keep your knives RAZOR sharp and carry a whetstone with you too. Nothing worse than a blunt knife. As well as being able to use your knife to shave, you can use it to pry, cut, eat off of, smash stuff, and if the worse happens, barter.

A good place for wireless is universities/libraries/cafes. In the case of passworded ones, it wouldn't be too hard to social engineer and get it.

Anonymous411 - You don't need to prove to anyone else, other than NBK, Mega or a moderator. You already trust them with your IP, might as well get them to verify your story.

I've seen penut butter mentioned alot. Personally, I like to use penut butter/butter/honey mix. Absolutely awesome with bread and will keep you going forever.

The problem with caches that you have made before you needed to run is that they may trap you.

Imagine if you were under surveillance for 6 months before you needed to run? Personally, I would discard all caches that had been made in the previous year. Food is easy enough to come by, as is water (in an urban environment). All you need to worry about is clothes (still easy to come by), some medical stuff, some money (far too easy to cache), some ID (cache it with the cash) and anything else you should have been able to carry with you.

Interesting story from a place called Broken Hill. This city is 600km from Adelaide and if you stand on the Hill and look out, the town just stops. Roads/houses/power lines just stop in a giant circle. Except for Vegemite Valley. Vegemite Valley is a small section of the city that exceeds the boundary and is soley populated by niggers (if you drive through and aren't a shit skin, they will throw beer/rocks/anything at your car).

Story has it that this lady (not a nigger) was watching TV when a nigger walked into her room. Naturally, she is frightened and asked him where the fuck he came from and why he was in her house. He asked her if he could use the phone to ring an ambulance because his mate had food poisoning.

Not so strange you say, but it turns out these two niggers had been living in her roof for 6 months (without her knowing) and one had eaten old pizza (from her fridge) and had gotten food poisoning.

...What the fuck!

nbk2000
January 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
If you do cache cash, don't use bills, as they can decay/rot. Instead, use coinage. In the US, quarters would be the thing to use, as they're universally accepted by machines and will never rot.

Also, coinage is impervious to currency recalls, as there's too much machinery that accepts coins (like parking meters) that can't be changed to accept new coinage without MAJOR hassle/expense, unlike bill acceptors which just get a new program.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Anonymous411 - You don't need to prove to anyone else, other than NBK, Mega or a moderator. You already trust them with your IP, might as well get them to verify your story.
That's all I ask.

It certainly seemed that way when you equated "extreme examples" with "misinformation". Sure I was using an extreme example, but there's nothing misinformative about it. You are 100% correct that the average person has little to none of these capabilities. But I'm not an average person, and I'm not interested in the average person-- and I daresay neither are many of the fine gentlemen lurking around this forum.You don't understand that not even your ISP has the capability to identify you at the drop of a hat, and they're the ones with the limited pieces of information that can turn your IP into a location.

There is nothing magical about it. But if you assume the sum total of technical capabilities of the United States government are a matter of public record, you're just plain wrong.I assume the government can't magically make the machines with the data work faster than designed. Just because big brother has a playstation 3 doesn't mean little brothers atari can play call of duty 3.

anonymous411
January 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Once again, no magic required. At any rate, we're not disagreeing about that much; it's just a matter of asymmetric information and perspective.

As for being "verified", I can assure you that examining the contents of my hard drive wouldn't prove a thing. I never keep anything juicy around here, and it would be a very simple matter to "seed" it with all sorts of documents that could make me seem like anything. I'd be willing to talk to NBK or Megalomania by phone-- but seeing as how I have professional experience at bullshitting people for a living, technically speaking, here's no absolute guarantees there either. I can't imagine anyone but a Fed would want to meet me for coffee...so however anybody wants to play this is fine. LOL

knowledgehungry
January 29th, 2007, 12:59 AM
At this point, all I feel comfortable saying is this: for the love of Christ, stay away from the Tracphones.

I thought that Tracphones were basically anonymous(obviously if you are calling numbers that are being watched you will go on the list too, or at least the phone number attached to you) are you insinuating that the FedGov has some dirty little tricks they aren't letting us know?

I know that drug dealers(especially 2 bit hustlers) use pre-paids and get a new number every month or so to keep ahead of the police, and it seems to work.

As to having a laptop in my emergency kit, my desire is to have a basic laptop, not hooked up to the internet/never hooked up to the internet with information I have collected, it would ideally be able to be powered via handcrank or other method. That is for more long term survival however after nuclear holocaust etc. Not if I was on the lam, which I never intend to be.

As for being "verified", I can assure you that examining the contents of my hard drive wouldn't prove a thing. I never keep anything juicy around here, and it would be a very simple matter to "seed" it with all sorts of documents that could make me seem like anything. I'd be willing to talk to NBK or Megalomania by phone-- but seeing as how I have professional experience at bullshitting people for a living, technically speaking, here's no absolute guarantees there either. I can't imagine anyone but a Fed would want to meet me for coffee...so however anybody wants to play this is fine.

If you went through all that work just to make us believe you were what you said you were(and you weren't) that would be pretty pathetic. I personally believe you are who you say you are, but in general nobody likes it when some new guy comes in and says I'm an expert because I worked for so and so.

Regardless of what your career is, it is your posting which garners my respect(which has been goodso far). Hell NBK works retail for minimum wage(so he says) and his reputation for knowing what he is talking about is very high, just because of years of quality posting.

My advice is don't bother trying to prove who you say you are, because I for one don't care.

Nihilist
January 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I thought that Tracphones were basically anonymous(obviously if you are calling numbers that are being watched you will go on the list too, or at least the phone number attached to you) are you insinuating that the FedGov has some dirty little tricks they aren't letting us know?

I know that drug dealers(especially 2 bit hustlers) use pre-paids and get a new number every month or so to keep ahead of the police, and it seems to work.

I agree with you here. The only risk with pre-paid cell phones is triangulation of your signal, and as long as you keep the phone off when you're not using it, and change your position after you do, you should be relatively safe i'd think.

nbk2000
January 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM
When it comes to 'proving' you are something to someone on the internet:

http://www.python.org/~guido/images/internetdog.gif

We don't ask people to prove anything here, because then that would probably entail revealing your real-world identity, and who here would want to do that?

If someone wants to claim to be something they're not, it'll come out eventually when they start talking about things they obviously know nothing about. It always happens with bullshitters. :)

And if they actually are what they claim to be, why risk chasing them off by pressuring them into 'proving' it? It'll show in the depth and breadth of knowledge they post.

Either way, 'proving' is a moot issue.

Alexires
January 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Sorry NBK. I guess it just stems from the whole "dont want to listen to bullshit and get my fingers blown off" complex that I have going.

When it comes to this, while its nice to learn, I don't want to be the poor ass who ends up in prison so that everyone else can learn that someone posted bullshit.

nbk2000
January 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Understandable, but he's not posting HE production processes either, so there's far more latitude given.

wackyykurt88
January 30th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I feel that you all have forgotten that if it was the end of mankind itself, you should probably get a sword or dagger. This would come in handy because the guns that you will use will eventually run up, lose some ammo, missed shots, etc.

And another thing, if you already had this planned out that you were leaving, why wouldn't you bring a set of keys for a car you had parked somehwere, a boat you had near the ocean, or a plane to leave the country?

I personally would think ahead and probably hide some great things and just keep little things (i.e. keys). Most people wouldn't suspect the keys if they were chasing you.

Chaosmark
February 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sword or dagger? The only time those will begin to come in handy is when the gun/ammo supply dries up, which it won't. Ever. Go take a look at the reloading scene. Even if there was a nuclear apocalypse, knowledge is knowledge, and there will still be a large number of people who know how to cast their own bullets, as well as generate makeshift barrels (the hard part would be the rifling). Combined with the ease of making gunpowder (the chinese were doing it for how many years?), accurate guns and weaponry will be around for long after an apocalypse.

Why not bring a set of keys for other modes of transport? Because of a few different things.

1) If you've got the cash to own a private boat or plane, chances are you'll be able to buy off someone to tip you before the raid or whatever happens and won't need to worry about an emergency kit.

2) If you've got a private boat or plane sitting somewhere, that's one of the first places that'll be checked and covered by the more piggish members of society.

Obviously there are ways around that problem, but the point is there. Transportation like that is going to be one of the first things they check for (and potentially sabotage). Why arrest someone when you can have his plane crash after takeoff?

PYRO500
February 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Why not learn impressioning, get a few precision files, a pair of vise grips and the appropriate key blanks. Once you know how, just about any mid 90's (excluding 10 cut keys used on the upper models) and below ford/Mitsubishi/dodge/Toyota/Renault/Fiat/Isuzu/Honda/Datsun/Nissan car is yours. Along with many others.

Being able to prove a car key you used is actually the one that works the car and having a backup key in your wallet will go a long way to convincing someone the car your driving without papers etc is yours. I mean who keeps a key for a car they dont own in their wallet as a backup key. Ideally it should never come to that but a broken ignition on a car and maybe a broken window says "this car is stolen".

In addition to the things listed above I'd include a length of tubing, you cant keep your transport running without gas, and if they rationed gas, or there was no electricity then you arent going to get it even if you had the money to buy it, so include a small fuel pump to your kit if its in a vehicle, simply get an auto parts fuel pump, attach it to the hose, leave enough wire to drop it into one of the in ground tanks at a gas station and run it off the vehicles battery.

nbk2000
February 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.stealthbag.com/

Good to have for evading the helicopter FLIR.