View Full Version : A new explosive

NITROMETHANE
February 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Can I detonate a mixture of potassium permanganate and vaseline because potassium permanganate is a very powerful oxidiser?

malzraa
February 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
You are lucky you posted this in the water cooler.

Ropik
February 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
See, most explosives you can realistically dream about making in home lab are already invented and described somewhere. If you cannot find some mixture in books and neither you can find it here on EWF, chances that this explosive is useable are pretty slim.
To answer your question: no, with normal means, that mix is undetonatable. It will burn well, though, so take advantage of that and use it to start campfires.

NITROMETHANE
February 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Thank you for your answers.

nbk2000
February 13th, 2006, 03:26 AM
He posted this in H.E. section as well as a duplicate post elsewhere, but I took pity on the newbie and moved one of them here. :)

malzraa
February 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
He posted this in H.E. section as well as a duplicate post elsewhere, but I took pity on the newbie and moved one of them here. :)

Wow, nbk does have a heart. And just in time for Valentines Day. Awwww.

Jacks Complete
February 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
This reminds me of being about eight...

I must admit, I tried this when I was a kid, my dad assured me it worked, but he said glycerine instead of vaseline. Place it on the floor, leave it to dry, and it becomes a contact explosive. Sadly, it didn't work.

Anyone know what the real formula was? (Or might have been?)

Ropik
February 15th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Permanganate and glycerine is spontaneous ignition miture, isn't it? It was when I made it last time... Anyway, I don't know any contact explosive using permanganate, except mixing it with sulphur, something(I cannot remember) and ground glass, which is mixture used in some old impact-explosive fireworks(no, I don't mean chlorate and sulphur). Mayber your father mistaken iodine for permanganate and ammonia for glycerine? I know, doesn't sound too probable.

meselfs
February 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
A much cheaper alternative to permanganate is HTH. It "ignites" (eventually) on contact with glycerine, and releases some poisonous gasses (possibly a little phosgene).