View Full Version : Is ebay a good idea?

bigblackhole
February 7th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I currently have a grocery list of materials that I'm looking for:

Potassium nitrate - apparently used for fertilizing and can be found at certain "agriculure supply" stores and the like. The problem is that I don't know of too many agriculture supply stores... unless they're interchangeable with nurseries.

Sulfur - apparently used for fertilizing as well and can be found in similar places at about 90% purity (I'm assuming this is pure enough)

Potassium/Sodium nitrite - this is supposed to be the hardest to find.

The one thing that I've found in common with all of these chemicals is that they're available on ebay. It would be great if I could go ahead and buy these knowing that it won't lead to any issues, but I have paranoia--and perhaps rightfully so--that online purchases aren't the best idea for these sorts of chemicals; particularly when they have to cross customs.

Maybe the first two can be found over the counter, but there's a good chance I'll have to order the nitrite and I just want to get another opinion.

tmp
February 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM
To date, the only know cooperation I know of between eBay and LEs is for
anything that might be used as a drug precursor. As for getting KNO3 and
sulfur though agricultural supplies, it will probably be awhile before they get
stocked up for the growing season. I've had no trouble getting sulfur at
these places but as for nitrates all they had were the calcium and sodium
salts.

Jacks Complete
February 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
The issue with eBay is that the history of your account is visible to all. Space out your purchases of Sulphur, KMnO4, etc. by months, unless you want anyone who is prepared to click a few times to be able to connect them, and then, to get your address, they either "honeytrap" you - look at what you are trying to buy, and offer it you cheap, either directly or via auction - or they get eBay to pull your address for them, with a warrant.

If I were LEO, I would put up collection only glassware acutions all the time under various ID's, just to see who bids in "my" area. Easy busting someone who's got a load of illegal glassware, instead of the gang-bangers...

bipolar
February 12th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I don't think using ebay's system is secure. I have heard of DEA "honeytraping" people who buy grow lights on there. The thing is they don't even have to sell it to you.

They definently have access to all the transaction data that goes through ebay's and paypal's system. Remember, once ebay bought paypal, paypal opened all its records to LE voluntarily.

The best thing to do is find a seller on there and message him or get his email address if available and make him a decent offer and tell him you don't want to buy it through the auction system.

Then he can either cancel his aution and not pay the commission to ebay if it sells, or he might have more in stock of the same thing to sell you. Then just send him a money order, and basicly do the transaction off of ebay at least.

Bert
February 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM
ebay makes your complete information, including ALL YOUR SEARCHES available to any agency that asks, with no warrant required.

DirtyDan
February 17th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I found KNO3 through gainans and, surprisingly, there is a sulphur mine in my proximity. You might want to try some nurseries, although that may be risky. Just make sure they don't follow you out to get your plate numbers... Then again, specialized products like that usually have to be ordered out, which may mean they get your identity anyways.

Im not sure about sodium nitrate, but AN is still available in those instant cold packs. If you arn't in need of mass quantities, Wal Mart still sells KNO3 stump remover that works well enough.

Good luck, happy hunting!

Jacks Complete
February 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Sulphur is used for killing pests by burning it in greenhouses. Look for the small "Greenhouse lights" and read the ingredients - 95%+ sulphur!

I kind of dislike using Amazon, due to the "Page you made" that follows you around the place. However, it serves as a great warning as to the amount of data they can link to you, your IP address, and more, once you buy something. eBay is exactly the same.