View Full Version : Info sought on Destruction Technologies for Munitions

shrikantsk
February 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Hi friends This topic is very interesting,thought of starting a thread to share info & other resources.Hope you will all join & share your views.
Shrikant

tomu
February 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
It depends on what type of Munitions had to be destroyed.

UXO (duds) are the most dangerous type, today it will often be blown up in place. Sometimes it's defuzed and carried away to a diposal site.

Unfired Ordnance will be defuzed most of the time and then disposed off.

To dispose off, the Ordnance can be savely detonated at a disposal site or it can simply be burned. Small caliber Ammo will usually be burned in special armored ovens. Sometimes it will simply be dumped into the sea, deep lakes or even big rivers (rarely nowadays).

Also recycling of the explosive and NC-Powder of the Ammo or Ordnance is sometimes done. This depends on the type and age of the munitions and the purpose why it should be destroyed. It depends also on who is doing the disposal/recycling and where it is done (legalities and facilities).

shrikantsk
February 23rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Basically I was keen on knowing about various technologies on which I am doing R & D.Extraction of fuses,explosive materials & recovery of metal are of primary interest to me.Are you interested to continue discussion on this topic?
Thanks for responding,regards
Shrikant

nbk2000
March 9th, 2006, 03:11 AM
So you want to recover UXO's and extract the explosives and components?

DANGEROUS! :eek:

This is the sort of thing best left to guerilla armies desperate for explosives, not hobbiests.

Only exception would be WW1 or WW2 CW UXO's, since it'd be safer to extract the filling than to attempt making it from scratch.

shrikantsk
March 17th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Hi nbk2000,
I am associated with these activities for quite some time. Due to the nature of work involved there is a lot of secracy & procedures followed & problems encountered are never discussed.I thought forum members with some background can interact on such issues.If I am permitted & if any one else has interest in this topic I will post some info which I have collected from net.:)