View Full Version : Best Food Ever!

Alexires
March 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Well, I decided to be completely random. I just have to ask, what do you guys think is the best food?

Personally, right now, I think the greatest tasting thing ever (I was shocked) is bread with butter, honey and peanut butter. Then again, a nice schnitzel with gravy is always nice.

Anyway, what do you think is an awesome food. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know pizza is the best, but besides that....

explosive_boy
March 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I love to eat BBQ ribs from a nice resturant. Im getting hungry now. :D

Hirudinea
March 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
The still beating heart of your enemy! Either that or a good piece of Tandoori Chicken.

Jacks Complete
March 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM
LOL. Nice one. I suggest you curry it first, though.

My local curry house is brilliant, and there is an all-you-can-eat Chinese that rocks, too.

Alexires
March 26th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Damn, forgot about that. Curry is pretty damn good, especially that Thai Green Curry. I'm a fan of chicken really. BBQ chicken pizza is awesome, chicken soup, anything with chicken is awesome. Bacon isnt too bad either.....

My Kung Fu master is also a cook, so if you ever find yourself at the training hall at lunch, and you help Sifu prepare food, you get fed, and damn does he make nice food.

Sushi is always nice, as well as Miso Soup. I have no idea why it is so good, but Miso soup is awesome. If I'm depressed, miso soup always does the trick....

Damn those japanese! Ive worked it out. They impregnate tofu with a gene that makes it synthesis prozac!!! You bastards! :p

Kamisama
April 1st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Tofu. :D and spirutein. I'm pretty sure someone could live off those two things for a very long time.

Oldamn
April 1st, 2006, 06:52 PM
Best ordinary food is maybe a good steak. If we are talking about fast-food, then my favourite is some big meal from Burger King. :)

festergrump
April 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
Steak and potatos or peppersteak are my favorites. Nothing beats a grill or open fire to cook with, either. (Tin foil wrapped on an engine block during long trips works in a pinch when you've no time to cook, ask me how I know).

For an occasional desert (not too big on sweets, though) I prefer a bowl of generic mint-chocolate chip ice cream either softened and spread into an Oreo pie crust or covered in a bowl with whole milk (like a bowl of breakfast cereal)... Makes the milk all crunchy! YUM!

nbk2000
April 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
A hot pastrami on rye sandwich, with swiss chess and spicy mustard, and cold dill pickle chips. Drool! :)

shooter3
April 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Boiled Maine lobster/w melted butter and steamed clams/w butter, free from the sea!

Down Under
April 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
2" thick beef fillet steak served ' blue ', with garlic butter and fresh field mushrooms

meselfs
April 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Basmati rice + Elk meat.

East meets west, the result is food from heaven.

Alexires
April 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
...Its only hot enough when it burns going in and burns coming out. Chilli paste stuff goes with almost everything. Rice, with cubed spam kind of fried and chilli paste. You can only taste burning, but I bet burning never tasted so good.

Sick idea for future RogueSci get togethers (next to the "hottest nitrating mix of nitroglycerine" stand and the "rabbit tag" (you wanna hope that rabbit with C4 strapped to its back runs AWAY from you)) is the "Annual RogueSci Cook Fest" stand (that lovely braised steak with KNO3 and sugar)

Silentnite
April 7th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Ah food. The way to everyman's heart may not be through his stomach, but at least it works with me.

After a long absence of work and work and growing up(not there yet), I find that anything I cook with my own hands to be about as good as its going to get. I enjoy fried rice though, and can make a mean glazed ham.

I daresay I eat more americanized chinese food then anything else though. Long live Seseme chicken. Or, at least Full Plate Always.

CRAB
April 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I've really been digging Pesto lately. The stuff is delicious.

knowledgehungry
April 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Stromboli with pepperoni, green peppers, onions, mozzarella cheese, sphagetti sauce and sausage. (I know that was specific, but complete ingredient lists are important for this forum, in case anyone wants to experiment for themselves :D )

Bert
April 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Barque's root beer and Haagen Daaz coffee ice cream root beer float.

Omnius02
May 1st, 2006, 08:49 AM
The best food I’ve ever eaten was at “yum cha” (I think that’s how its spell). Its one of those Chinese restaurants where they bring around fresh dishes usually steamed in bamboo baskets.

All of it is fantastic but there is one that steps over all the others making them look like processed shit which has been rotting for a few weeks, fresh duck egg custard tarts, the rich and creamy custard melts in your mouth whiles you feel the crisp pastry break apart.

There are many of these restaurants around but nothing comes close to the one I’m talking about, this 2 story giant must have the best chefs in Australia.

Another good food that my friends and I love is fresh chocolate croissants from the bakery between 1 and 4am, when we have nothing better to do than wait whilst stoned or drunk watching the odd car drive past, it is the most relieving feeling when you take your first bite into their soft steaming bread with molten chocolate, it makes me feel that I’m in heaven.

Typing this has made me the hungriest I’ve been in a while, I’m going to go make instant noodles! :D Always good when hunger strikes.

Slinger
May 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Buffalo Hump (American Bison), for me.

Cooked over hot coals on a spit, with no added seasonings or salt. You know how the thick strip of fat on a well-done steak tastes? Imagine about ten pounds of that, dripping hot grease...

You simply slice hunks off, and devour.

Maniak
May 3rd, 2006, 02:55 PM
My best - roasted sirloin beef with cream sauce and dumplings (European - old and good:) ), all homemade by my mum;) But...right explosion-lover's or pyrochemist's food should be some beans, peas or lentils, thought...

corrosive
May 3rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
The best food ever has to be 2 fatty hamburgers and corn on the cob with that "I cant believe its not butter"....that usually does the trick for me.

festergrump
May 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
You know how the thick strip of fat on a well-done steak tastes? (SNIP)...You simply slice hunks off, and devour.
LOL! I've heard of rendering fat before, as in tallow candles, but eating it? You kind of caught me by surprise there.

You like your women "fat, humpy, and dripping grease", too? :p (Ah, I'm just kiddin' ya! Buffalo STEAKS are awesome, now. I'll save all my fat trimmings for you, though!). ;)

Slinger
May 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
festergrump,

Actually, my wife is... oh, nevermind :D

To be truthful, any edible portion of a buffalo is delicious. I should have just said "buffalo", and covered the entire animal. :)

Chris The Great
May 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
I love the fat as well... it soaks up a lot of the flavour and spices, is soft and tender, and also has a good deal of tasty grease!

But I don't like my women like I like my food. However, if I can eat them that's fine :p

My favourite foods... hmm, pizza since it is good anytime with nearly anything on it, peanut butter, BBQ'd ribs (any kind of animal will do), chili, pancakes, bacon (especially with eggs fried in the bacon grease!), jerky (esp. homemade stuff), Miss Vickie's brand potato chips, chicken chow-mein (chinese noodles), roast lamb... hmmm.... I like a lot of foods.

Oh right, and roast sheeple. The ignorance just gives it that irresitable flavouring!
:D

Alexires
May 4th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Thats really weird isnt it? When something so simple as some meat cooked over hot coals tastes absolutely awesome.

Seriously, after being at an all night lan for 7-8 hours (about 2am) nothing better than yiros. Hell, that stuff is good.

I gotta say, anything that makes it burn coming in and burn going out is good. Also, wasabi is ace. Gotta love da pain!

That how I like women. Hot, sizzling....dripping.....uh.....green? Right, I'm gonna leave that right there.

How about the weirdest combination of food that you've had (its gotta taste good)?

Pear and cheese. Or apple and cheese. Thats just fucking strange I think, but it tastes pretty good.

Zach730
May 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I have to agree with about everyone here. But the best tasting thing is meat from your own kill.

Try deer jerky or any other animal and be amazed. Oh, and you have to kill it first, thats the secret to spice.

MetalHead
May 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Any kind of game meat, cooked in lots of red wine and garlic. My favourite would have to be a juicy Kangaroo steak, seasoned with fresh cracked black pepper and thyme.

Try putting a pinch of chilli powder in a cup of hot chocolate. It's one of those weird combinations that works.

Zajcek
June 28th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I like spicy, hot Mexican food ;)

But what I like the most is the pizza with nacho cheese,hot chili(a lot of them),spicy salami,corn and some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Since you mentioned chili powder in a cup of hot chocolate, my girlfriend's uncle owns a pub where they serve (in winter) hot chocolate with chili (among other 40 different types). I tried that chili mix once and it was the weirdest thing I have ever tasted! :)

Sausagemit
July 2nd, 2006, 04:25 AM
One of my favorite foods is a mexinese (mexican and chinese) special. I have no idea how I came up with this mix but it's freakin delicious.

First make some egg fried rice, then take a tortilla and cover it in shredded cheese, then put your tortilla in the toaster oven for a while untill all the cheese gets nice and melted. Put your rice on, some nice hot green chili (tastes the best if you make your own out of fresh roasted anahiem pepers and fresh roasted jalapenoes rather then from a can). Fold it up like a burrito and devour.

And cougar stew is interesting because it tastes like no stew I have ever had before because cougar is one of those meats that tastes like a mixture of about 4 meats.

FUTI
July 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
This is kind a OT and Zajcek has "precipitate" this info in a way. I eat almost anything (one or two vegetables are on the dislike list allthough but...) so I won't state my favorite meal as it is "mood modulated". Anyway I have read somewhere that some Russian factory that makes specially designed sweets has made a new product - box of candies, btw candy is bullet shaped (why do you think I post this on this forum ;)). Name of the product is something like Russian rullet...(I can't possibly know is it name of that game is the same in English - kind of hazard game where you you place one bullet inside revolver and place your skull in a harms way ). Joke is...there a 12 candies, 11 have various ussual fruity, sweet taste, but 12th candy has some kind of pepper or chilli paprika taste

sdjsdj
July 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Heh (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=604&src_t=cat&src_id=edible). . .
Looks like . . .
Uh . . .
. . . fun?

Dank$taVegas
July 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
The best food... well all the post sound great, but I wont eat nothing but wild meats that I hunt and butcher my self & fresh food grown in my garden; (Grizzly & Black bears, Cougars, Moose, Elk, Deer, turkey, pheasants, ducks etc) while all these taste great cooked over the nice hot coals of a camp fire, nothing I mean nothing compares to a B.C/Alberta freshly killed rack of ribs from a Mt.Goat that you have just field dressed and cooked where you shot and killed it. Bring along some freshly grown green beans, peas, carrots and some potatoes and you have one hell of a good meal to feast on after the hunt! The meat this fresh just falls off the bones and melts in your mouth. The only things I bring from a super store are some lip tons gravy (damn good stuff) , Salt and pepper (the 3 store bought items are only used on the smashed taters) no need to ruin such good meat with stuff like that.

Once you have tasted wild meat, (Not grain fed animals raised for the average person) you will never go back to that so called steak, ribs, roast you buy in a super market. They taste inferior to wild game that feeds on natural foods.

c.Tech
July 5th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Try putting a pinch of chilli powder in a cup of hot chocolate. It's one of those weird combinations that works.

mmmm... :) not bad I’m drinking it as I type now.

My favorite foods are Mexican, Chinese (especially steamed, delicate dishes), Indian and Italian.

I have an excellent Indian recipe from a book called ‘a taste of India’ by Madhur Jaffrey, I have made a spicy leg twice before, once for my family and once when I was away with a couple of friends in a cottage far from the city.

I will put the recipe in a quote for anybody who wants to try it, (copied word for word from the book).

It’s best to have the correct ingredients but if some can’t be found it should turn out all right without a couple, or so it did for me. If you can’t find whole ingredients just use already ground ones.

RASHID’S COOK, NASEEM, MAKES
LUCKNOW’S WHOLE LEG OF LAMB
Lucknavi Raan

Many of the meats in North India are tenderized with green papaya before they are cooked. This gives them a soft and uniquely Indian texture. In my effort to try and get the same texture, I discovered than an ‘all natural’ meat tenderizer found in US supermarkets contains papain from the papaya fruit. It contains salt as well, which works quite well for this recipe as the meat is supposed to be rubbed with both green papaya and salt at the same time.

If you happen to have a papaya tree and want to use its fruit for this recipe, pick a small 3-4in/7.5-10cm long, unripe, hard green fruit and use about half of it, skin and all, ground up first in a blender or food processor.

Rather like a pot roast, this leg may be served with rice, potatoes and vegetables, or with Flaky Oven Bread, vegetables and relishes.

Serves 4-6
5 lb/2.3 kg leg of lamb with the H-bone removed or 5 lb/2.3 kg from the slimmer half of a very large 8-9 lb/3.6-4 kg leg of lamb
2 tsp/10 ml meat tenderizer mixed with 4 tbs/60 ml/1/4 cup plain yoghurt
2 tbs/30 ml whole cumin seeds
2 tbs/30 ml whole white poppy seeds or blanched, silver almonds
1 oz/25 g/3 tablespoons chickpea flour (gram flour/besan)
1 whole nutmeg, lightly crushed
2 in/5 cm cinnamon stick, broken up
9 whole cardamom pods
1 tbs/15 ml black peppercorns
1½ tsp/7.5 ml whole cloves
1½ tsp/7.5 ml whole mace
4-5 whole, large black cardamom pods (omit if unavailable)
5-6 whole dried hot red chillies (use more or less, as desired)
¾ pint/450 ml/2 cups plain yoghurt
1 tbs/15 ml bright red paprika
good ¼ pint/good 150 ml/good 2/3 cup vegetable oil
8 oz/255 g, 2 large onions, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into very fine half rings

Trim off all the outside fat from the leg and cut or pull off the parchment like fell that covers some of it. Cut many deep gashes in the meat – about ½ in/1 cm apart – with the point of a sharp knife, and then push the meat tenderizer-yogurt mixture deep into these gashes. Cover the leg with the same mixture and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Meanwhile, put the cumin seeds into a small, cast iron frying pan over a medium flame. Stir and roast the seeds until they are a shade darker and give off a lovely, roasted aroma. Put the seeds into the container of a clean coffee grinder or other spice grinder and grind as finely as possible. Empty into a large bowl.

Put the poppy seeds into the same frying pan and roast in the same way as the cumin seeds. Grind and put with the ground cumin seeds.

Put the chickpea flour into the same frying pan. Stir and roast over a medium-low flame until pale brown in colour. Put with the ground seeds.

Now put the nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves, mace, large black cardamom pods and red chillies into the coffee grinder or other spice grinder. Grind as finely as possible. Empty into the bowl with the other seasonings. Add the yoghurt and the paprika to the spices as well and mix. Rest the leg of lamb in the bowl and stuff as much of the spice mixture as is possible into the gashes. Cover the leg with the remaining spice mixture and set aside, covered, for 3-4 hours.

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan (that is large enough to hold the meat) over a medium flame. When hot, put in the onions. Stir fry until brown. Then put in the leg and all the spice mixture. Let the leg brown lightly on one side. Then turn it over using two kitchen spoons and brown the second side. The sauce will stick to the bottom of the pan. There is no avoiding this. Patiently scrape it off with a spatula and keep frying. When the oil separates from the spices and the leg is lightly browned, add 12 fl oz/350 ml/1½ cups of water and bring to a simmer. Scrape loose whatever is stuck to the bottom of the pan and mix it in. cover tightly and cook for about 50 minutes, turning the leg over a few times during this cooking period.

The meat should be quite tender by now. Remove the cover and, over the next 10-15 minutes, boil away enough of the liquid to leave you with a thick sauce.

When you get ready to serve, lift the leg out of the sauce and place it in the centre of a platter. Spoon the sauce over the meat, leaving all of the oil behind.

Enjoy. :D

minty
July 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM
My favorite food.... I have a lot, but nobody can resist a big mac from McDonalds.

Jack2k2
July 6th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Yeh, I am eating a Big Mac while watching Supersize Me. ;)

As for my favorite foods, I as well like Mexican, Italian, and Chinese. There is this awesome restaurant in my town, Chinese Gardens, their Sweet and Sour Pork is amazing, along with the Almond Chicken, Egg Rolls, Fried Rice, and Red Pork.

One of the oddest things though, is that they have one of the greatest Cheeseburgers I have ever tasted. I actually get one everytime I go there with my family, and then eat some Chinese food. ( I really get stuffed when going there.)

As for my Italian foods, I am Italian, and my grandparents are amazing cooks. Nothing can beat Fugasa bread and their amazing Raviolis (Of course they are spinach and meat filled, not that nasty cheese filling.)

Here is the recipe for fugasa, it is one of the simplest to make, but it is very addictive.

Grab from your supermarket those frozen dough loafs, take one and let it sit out to defrost. Once it has, roll it out into a rectangular pan, the type used for brownies etc, the size isn't that important, so long as you can fit the fugasa in it. Cover this with a cloth towel, and just slightly warm the oven and let it sit in there for 30 minutes to rise. (Check to make sure it isn't cooking while rising.) After this period, it should have risen to about an inch tall. Now take some olive oil and rub it over the bread, and generously salt it. Now put it in the oven at 375 degrees F. Take it out every 5 minutes or so and put more olive oil on it and re-salt it. Stop baking it once it is golden brown. If you made it correctly, it should be a salty crunchy outside with a soft but not doughy inside.

I really suggest you try this, it is an awesome food.

c.Tech
July 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I have recently stumbled upon really good way of cooking mushrooms. While this isn’t my favorite dish it’s still delicious.

My favorite mushroom dish.
Take a green cardamom pod and crush the seeds. Add them to a small pot. I stress small because it could be hard getting the butter out at the end.

Take a small slice of onion, some fresh chilli, ¼ clove of garlic and dice these up. Add them to the pot. Remember not to over do these.

Now add some thyme, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt. Slice about 1cm off a regular block of butter and add this to the pot.

Heat these and cook the flavors from all the herbs, spices and other ingredients into the butter.

Now take a large white mushroom (the ones with the grey gills but not those little small shitty ones you can buy too) and poke holes in the top of the mushroom with a skewer or similar device.

Put this into a steamer (gills side up), add the butter on top, removing the bulk of the herbs onion garlic etc.

Steam until cooked (about 5-10 minutes)

Now add the same sized slice of butter to a frying pan. Heat until melted then put the mushroom on and fry for about 5 minutes or until almost cooked turning a few times during this process. I press the mushroom so it looses its excess water and juices, I don’t actually know what it would taste like if I didn’t do this, but I’m thinking the same.

In the final time of its cooking turn your shroom, gills side up and put cheese on top, cook until melted and serve.

I’m sure there are probably better combinations of herbs and spices one could use but these seem to be my favorites.

billybobjoe
July 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
My favorite food would probably be a thick rib eye steak, grilled with lots of butter, and smothered in hp and home made barbeque sauces. Twice baked potato on the side (it’s baked, then scooped out and mixed with sour cream, chives, cheese, and bacon, then put back in and baked till crispy.) Also a generous helping of pepper corns onto of my steak. For dessert a piece of chocolate pound cake smothered in the 38% cream with raspberry jam on it. Yum.

DarkSupreme
July 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM
The best food is probably the one, that you have when you are hungry.

Anira
July 13th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Best food? Well technicaly I would say rice.. but...

My favorite.. by far it would be avacado.

Avacado on toast (with some lemon pepper on top)
Avacado in a sandwitch with hummus, letice, onion and some lemon pepper
Chips and guacamole ...mm..
Burrito with guacamole.
California rolls (sushi rolls with avacado, carrot and, red bellpeper)
Enchalada casserole with guacamole on top.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
July 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
General Tso's Chicken.