View Full Version : The Road to Furazans

Microtek
March 24th, 2006, 04:36 PM
For the last few months, I have been undertaking a low-intensity study to establish a workable route to the very attractive nitro furazans. As a group they contain almost all the desirable properties that energetic materials can have: Insensitivity, high density, high heat of formation, thermal stability, melt castability and ( not least ) some of the highest VODs ever achieved.

Not all these properties are present in a single compound obviously, but the furazans remain a very interesting group of compounds.

The precursor to most furazan compounds is diaminofurazan ( DAF ), so my work has been concentrated on synthesizing this chemical.
The synthesis goes as follows:

nitromethane --> hydroxylamine --glyoxal--> glyoxime ---> diaminoglyoxime
--KOH--> diaminofurazan

Hydroxylamine:

20 ml nitromethane and 30 ml HCl, 30 % was placed in a flask with a screw lid. The cap was protected with teflon tape and was screwed firmly onto the flask.
The flask was then placed on a hotplate and heated to ca. 100 C. This temp was held thermostatically until homogenous, which required about 20 hrs.
Most of the liquid ( water, HCl and formic acid ) was distilled off and then the remains was allowed to cool very slowly. This caused large crystals to precipitate. When cooled to 0 C, the supernatant was decanted and reconcentrated. This process was repeated until only about 5 ml remained and this was discarded.
The crystals where washed with a small amount of isopropanol and dried over CaCl2 for two days. Yield was roughly 15 g, but this can undoubtedly be done better.

Glyoxime:

6.32 g hydroxylamineHCl was dissolved in 10 ml water along with 2.5 g NaOH at 0 C. 40 % glyoxal ( 5.1 ml, 44.6 mmol ) was added dropwise with stirring, maintaining temp at 0 C.
Temp was kept at that level for 15-20 min and was then allowed to rise to room temp. It was left to stand overnight covered with a watchglass.
Precipitate quickly began to form ( perhaps 10 min after end of glyoxal addition ) and the next day the mix was a thick slurry.
The precipitate was suction filtered, washed with a little water on the filter and dried over CaCl2 for several days. Yield was 3.247 g or 82 % ( crude product ).

Diaminoglyoxime:

3,7 g NaOH was dissolved in water and diluted to 18.5 ml.
3.25 g glyoxime was added in one portion and quickly dissolved.
Then solid hydroxylamineHCl ( 5.13 g ) was added in one portion and immediately produced a tan precipitate similar in appearance to solid glyoxime.
A reflux condenser was attached to the flask which was then heated to slow reflux. This caused the precipitate to dissolve almost completely.
The reflux was maintained for 6 hrs and then the mix was allowed to cool down very slowly. This caused yellow-orange needle-like crystals to precipitate. These were filtered off and washed with 5 ml cold water and were then dried over CaCl2, giving 1.4996 g or 34 %.

That's as far as I have gotten until now. The next step calls for aqueous KOH at 175 C which means an autoclave... I'm a bit worried at the thought of a homemade autoclave/pipebomb exploding in my kitchen.

nbk2000
March 29th, 2006, 02:17 AM
A potential 'autoclave' that should be very safe to use would be the CO2 tanks for paintball guns.

They're designed to contain 3000PSI of pressure, and are made of steel, so should be more than adequate for your purpose.

If you buy the disposable CO2 cartridges for paintball guns (look like giant version of the pellet gun type), than a simple cap fitting would be all you'd need to make to use it as such. Only cost about $7 for two.

Microtek
April 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I was thinking about using a piece of pipe used for plumbing it's made of galvanized mild steel, 3 mm wall thickness with threaded caps at both ends and has a 25 mm internal diameter. It has the advantage that I could place an open test tube inside to hold the reactants, thus avoiding corrosion and contamination. A steel tube would probably passivate in the alkaline environment, but may cause contamination.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find pressure ratings for this exact type of pipe, so I'm going to have to do a test in a safe location...

nbk2000
April 17th, 2006, 01:44 AM
If it's schedule 40 galvanized, either continuous weld or seamless, than it's rated for 700 PSI.