View Full Version : nitric acid from different salts

bobo
March 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
A while ago I made some nitric acid of decent enough quality, in smal amounts. The salt I used was first potassium and then sodium nitrate, all ground up pretty small. Still, both would clump up badly, and beyond the skills of a magnetic stirrer to handle. Not that clumping (and bumping) is that much of a problem, really, if you take enough time, but the mass should at least behave like a liquid. In small amounts it can all be handled due to free convection of the liquids, but on a larger scale, viscosity must be low and there must be some sort of mechanical stirrer. Metal is ruled out, so it has to be a thick sheet of teflon, cut to form.

To get the stirrer into the vessel, there are limits to vessel and stirrer shape. You can bend the stirrer, but that will only go so far in stirring as to widen the effective range of the stirrer a little bit. The best thing would be a glass vessel with a top cover like you have them with exsiccators, and three or four necks in it. Since everyone who is into the making of clandestine chemicals wants such glassware, the next best thing would be to use an exsiccator with a NS29 T-branch connected to it as your reaction vessel and cut the teflon in such a way that it is nearly airtight at the neck where the bar goes to the motor while leaving room in another neck for the vapors. Some wax will make it airtight enough for reasonable vacuum and lubricate the hole.

The problem with stirring is, the more viscous it gets the less effect the stirring has. (in sulfuric acid and salt mixes, this would mean it's virtually dead space a few inches from the maximum reach of the stirring bit) This can be compensated by enhancing the stirring surface, but that comes at the price of mechanical torque on the bar (can the motor handle it? Can the bar handle it? So, I can see little other solution for upscaling the process than to decrease the viscosity.

Right here, the commonly available fertilizers are the following.

NaNO3
KNO3
NH4NO3
CaNO3

... and mixtures of said types. It's easier to obtain a mixture of NH4NO3 with CaNO3 than either pure compound, but I could care less. The question now becomes which fertilizer gives the best results. I want it to be nicely liquid in mixture with sulfuric. Also, the sulfate salt should not be problematic either by clogging or by making it even more viscous (do we want it to be more or less soluble? I can't figure that out). CaNO3 and NH4NO3 are the two fertilizers I haven't really used for this matter yet.

The final approach might be using a cosolvent (or rather nonsolvent) which decreases viscosity. This should be high boiling and inert to the acid mix. Now all the hydrocarbons are difficult to handle because of their density and demixing. Chlorinated HC's are better, but the ones available to me are low boiling. Silicone oils of some kind perhaps?

nbk2000
April 1st, 2006, 03:58 AM
I've used all the nitrate salts, and found Ammonium Nitrate the best. It dissolves in the acid to form a nice yellow limpid syrup. The Na salt, especially, forms a granular clump that's a pain in the ass to clean out of the retort.

Chris The Great
April 1st, 2006, 09:22 PM
I haven't used other nitrate salts, however ammonium nitrate dissolves easily as NBK says.

You can also get two moles of nitric acid per mole sulfuric acid. I saw this discussed at sciencemadness but cannot remember who posted it or where. The first time gives fuming nitric acid, then second batch when more ammonium nitrate is added gives 70% (maybe some water was added, I cann't remember the details).

I have not tried this procedure but hope to do so.

It certainly saves money, if you can get AN by the 25kg sack.

bobo
April 6th, 2006, 04:08 PM
water is needed then most certainly. That'd be good for getting more bang for your buck out of the mess you're left with after you're done and its definitely a good idea for cleanup. Last time I got rid of the boilt clumps it was a mess and I'd rather dispose of some harmless salts.. In my hands, it takes more than 4 liters of sulfuric for 1 liter of 95% white fuming. That's using a water heated exsiccator with a slight vacuum. In my country, sulfuric acid is OTC but at 15 euros per liter or something like that while low level nitric is easily available and cheap so for economy sake it isn't necessary to get it out... For nitric acid production you can use shit quality sulfuric such as you recycle from nitrations.

tmp
April 10th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I've used all the nitrates mentioned but I personally like KNO3. I vacuum
distill at under 50C to minimize decomposition and get a very nice
fuming white HNO3. The worst nitrate I've ever used is Ca(NO3)2. That
shit makes a plaster sludge in the flask which is a pain in the ass to clean !

ETCS (Ret)
August 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
tmp and all,

Ca(NO3)2 works well as you've indicated. To avoid the plaster sludge mess in the distillation flask do this:

Pre-mix the Ca(NO3)2 and H2SO4 in proper quantity and stir to facilitate the reaction to form in-situ HNO3 with the CaSO4 which will precipitate out. This can be done hours or days in advance of the following steps.

Filter or decant the mixture to remove the precipitated CaSO4.

Vacuum distill the filtered liquid. Or, in a pinch, use it as is - it's a pretty good grade of fuming HNO3 if the H2SO4 used above was 95% or better.

DONMAN
December 4th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I have found that the cheapest and best way to do it is with HCl and KNO3. KNO3 devolves easily and the byproduct is just KCl.