View Full Version : Women, Pyro & Related Hobbies

quicksilver
April 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have, on occation, wondered why so few women post on usenet or discussion boards (like this one) in subjects like pyro, firearms, explosives, survivalism, etc.
Take this and related discussion boards as an example; I doubt there are many female hobbiests here....a no-brainer, but it seems to beg the question as to why.
At my work I have the opportunity to interact with a large number of women from many walks of life. In a delicate way I have asked some of them if they ever had any hobbies that they considerd masculine. One or two were avid shooters. They owned firearms and shot them with some degree of frequency. One even was interested in archery as a modality of hunting. But that was 3 women out of several dozen that I have asked over the course of half a year. Many women believe that hobbies like "pyrotechnics" are related to some element of destruction; that there is an elemental destructive quality to anything that "burns or explodes". When pointing out that fireworks have an essential display quality to them, therefore an aspect of beauty and creativity the brighter amongt them agree but have no actual base-line answer as to why women don't seek out that as a pastime.
I also have some young Sorority girls in our office. When asking them this question I have to take my time to communitcate exactly what I mean as they appear to not understand a great deal of things....
I had thought that it was the chemicals that put them off however it seems that women certainly enjoy hobbies that entail gettings one's hand's dirty (pottery for instance); but this appears to me a masculine entertainment and I really don't know why...Christ the USMC has women in it's ranks today....

alyks
April 4th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Well, do you have any feminine hobbys? If not, why?

nbk2000
April 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Quicksilver isn't going to be able to reply to your query, as that user is no more. :)

RalphRussell
April 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think quicksilver raises an interesting question. My family (including my wife and daughter) have been getting together with another family on July 4th for at least 20 years.

In a rural setting, we set off small fireworks all day and into the night. For the most part, the women have always enjoyed it. The exception is explosions. The guys, myself included, like firecrackers. When we set those off, the women go inside. When we do the sparklers, fountains and rockets, they're out watching and enjoying.

Conclusion: Women like colorful and artistic fireworks but they don't like explosions!

Also, if there are women in this forum, they probably don't want anyone to know. They would be afraid of wierdos hitting on them with PM's.

Chris The Great
April 6th, 2006, 02:30 AM
http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060331/NEWS01/603310302/1002

Too bad she's a kewl.