View Full Version : Pepper spray deployment

Heat
May 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM
With some research, I figured out how to make my own commercial or police grade pepper spray agent.

I can make the actual solution, but my problem is deployment! I need an effective way to actually spray it. I considered using an empty can of hair spray or whatever, filling it with the solution, and pressurising with butane, but the problem is that the valves on these cans are tiny and don't spray nearly far enough to be useful.

The only effective thing I can think of is a watergun, which looks both stupid and suspicious.

Can anyone here suggest anything?

tomu
May 6th, 2006, 10:19 AM
There are reusable spray bottles on the market, try workshop suplliers or dealers who sell air compressors and/or spray guns for paint work.

These spray bottles can be filled by unscrewing their valves, fill in whatever you want and screw the valve back on. Turn the spray bottle around and pressure rize it through the kind of tire valve that's in the bottom.

nbk2000
May 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM
What size are you looking to spray from?

A small pocket sprayer for anti-mugger? Or a riot size for dispersing a crowd?

Slinger
May 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Heat:

For anti-mugger purposes, one of Kurt Saxon's ideas (if it was indeed his idea) was to use the antihistamine or saline spray type nose spray bottles.

Simply give the bottle a squeeze, dip the nozzle in your acrolein, or whatever you're using, and release the pressure on the bottle, thus drawing the liquid into the bottle.

Although this might not give you the range you desire, at point blank, your attacker would recieve a faceful. :eek:

The more important issue in my opinion is not the delivery device, but getting it out and ready, and using it, all while being attacked.

As for the riot-dispersal type, does anyone remember when high-pressure washers, like those used to wash buildings and such, had their own water tank with pump? Or maybe they still make them like that for big jobs.

With enough spray-dope, one could keep a crowd held off for some time, using a system like this.

As an afterthought, I used to use a back-mounted, pump-up sprayer to apply fly repellant to cattle. A similar product can be found here, if anyone is interested:

http://shop.doitrightonline.com/item.asp?pid=20

Using a sprayer like this seems like something out of a zombie flick, though.

(Was it too late to edit my post? If so, apologies.)

noz
May 9th, 2006, 08:44 AM
My thoughts on this are buy a motorcycle or bicycle repair inflator, those units often have trigger pressure release of the CO2, you can make a plastic bottle to fit onto it and an outlet, does,nt have to be precisely made as the gush of CO2 will drag up any liquid with it even if just a hole in outlet let leads to a separate bottle, sorry would be easier to draw it. Can also use NOZ(nitrous oxide) carts in some bike pumps depends on thread or if push fit.

Could also use this liquid of yours as a bomb using a CO2 generating powder, not much of chemist and have forgotten the names of chemicals but are readily available. All you do is put in weak plasic bottle, so is basically water, CO2(or O2) generating agent, and teargas liqiud in condom or something similar. Just throw it and wallop!.

Good luck...

Red Beret
May 10th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Heat, would you mind sharing the recipe for the spray? Also, super soakers are good for crowds. ;)

Heat
May 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM
Tomu's paint can idea was a good idea, I didn't know you get those. The only problem was that the only things I could find were very big!

NBK: I want it for anti-mugging, and anti-group-of-assholes.

The medicine spray bottles are also a great idea, but they don't spray far, and would only hold enough for maybe 1-2 people. But very inconspicuous, and you could carry 2-3.

I found a nice solution: A small spray bottle, similar to the type used for spraying window cleaner. I found some that are very small, quite capable of being carried easily in the inside pocket of a jacket. They can spray quite a bit despite their small size; easily up to 5-6 feet.

Heat, would you mind sharing the recipe for the spray?
Sure, I'm just using straightforward OC, just like in commercial pepper spray. OC is oleoresin capsicum, it's an oil found in jalapenos, chili peppers, etc. It is the irritant responsible for the "hotness" of peppers; it fools your heat receptor nerves into reporting a lot of heat.

OC dissolves in alcohol. So what I do is, take some ground red pepper powder (I get it here in supermarkets), and dump it into alcohol. I let it mix for a while, and then filter the powder. You are left with a red-orange solution.

My only problem is with controlling the concentration of OC. I believe commercial pepper sprays use 10-20% (I wouldn't really know very much, because they're not available here!) One idea I had was to let the alcohol evaporate until I had pure OC, and then dilute it to the desired concentration.

The good thing about OC, is that it's very effective, even on people who are insane, on drugs, or otherwise unable to feel pain, because it also affects the eyes and breathing. The other advantage is that it's nonlethal, and leaves no trace, so it's much easier to escape getting in trouble for using it! Not so for acid, or acrolein. In fact, in some circumstances, I might even get away with denying that I sprayed anything at all, since it leaves no visible proof.

++++++

The lemon juice containers that look like lemons (or limes) are very good for this sort of thing. They carry enough for a dozen hefty squirts, and have good range.

NBK

Alexires
May 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
For concentration issues and chemical stuff, look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale).

Anyone knowledgable in the synthesis department have an idea how to make Capsaicin or Dihydrocapsaicin?

Also here (http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chilli/analysis.htm) gives the procedure used to extract the active ingredient in preperation for High Performance Liquid Chromotography.

"HIGH YIELD METHOD:
if you have a collidal mill, mix the dried peppers with the oil of choice
set the chilller to keep the oil below about 160F and let it grind for a
few hours .. vacuumm filter the oil/pepper mixture through a 25u prefilter
then through a 5u coarse filter and then finally through a 0.5 u absolute
filter maintaining about 150F to keep the oil thin

( the addition of ethyl ether or methyl chloride to the mix would
enhance extraction and would easily be removed by evaporation;
cold extraction with liquid CO2 might also work well)" - http://www.tomstrong.org/recipes/capsaicin.html

This (http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/specialty_crops/publications/reports/2004/ratnasharms_Capsaicin.htm) is an interesting page on extraction performed with Acetone, Ethanol and Acetonitrile.

Another (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=540637) site that says some stuff, mainly about trying NOT to get the final product on yourself.

A site (http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002075348029538.html) about Scoville heat history.

Hope that is some help...

xyz
June 7th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Well, it's possible to get liquid butane by leaving a lighter-refill cannister in a deep freezer over night and then simply pouring the stuff out after puncturing the can. It's probably a more convenient cold extraction solvent than CO2, as it doesn't need much pressure at all to keep it liquid (a small plastic softdrink bottle has worked fine for me - 300mL or so, as the smaller bottles tend to be stronger), and it'll evaporate off nicely.

You could try freezing and puncturing a butane cannister, pouring the butane into a small plastic bottle containing your chilli powder (which had been placed into the freezer as well - to cool it down so it doesn't boil the butane excessivley), sealing it up and putting it back in the deep freezer along with your filtering apparatus, let it all cool down, the open the freezer again, open the bottle, pour the contents into the filter, close the freezer again, wait for the filtration to finish, open the freezer, retreive the filtrate, and then just wait for the butane to boil off at room temperature.

Of course, keep any procedures involving butane away from all sources of ignition boys and girls (even though most of you ARE sources of ignition...), and carry them out in a well ventilated area.

nbk2000
June 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Why evaporate off the butane? Use it as a volatile propellant to disperse the extracted oil. :)

Jacks Complete
June 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
As a thought, the lemon juice bottle full of the original lemon juice might well be enough to put someone out of the fight. Low pH, legal, handy size. And if would sting like fury in the eyes, leave a bad taste in the mouth, be a visible marker and scent for the police should they be involved, and cheap (68p) and easily replaced if you need to drop it someplace. Oh, and it won't trip a metal detector or even mm wave radar.

Perhaps if it was superconcentrated, so it was still lemon juice, but with 50% of the water evaporated off?

I might suggest this to a mate who lost some teeth due to a kicking by pikeys.

Cobalt.45
June 16th, 2006, 09:48 AM
If stealth isn't too much of an issue, the previous suggestion by tomu re a rechargeable, refillable aerosol container can be found at both northerntool.com and harborfreight.com. $16 and $10, respectively.

16 oz. capacity, includes several nozzles, up to 90 psi and chargeable with a hand pump (read- bicycle), if that's all you have, or even a coin- op gas station compressor.