View Full Version : (EMW) 3. 10-16 MHz

simply RED
May 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM
10-16 MHz strip is the most useful part of HF. It offers all-over-the world range espacially at day hours.

1. Used Apparature

Usually good HF transciever is impossible to be made at home.
If I am wrong I welcome everybody to offer schematics!
Anyway, (usually expensive) models like this : DX-77T
http://www.alinco.com/usa.html
Are available on the market.

2.Modulation

Amplitude Modulation (AM)

AM is a form of modulation in which the amplitude of a carrier wave is varied in direct proportion to that of the modulating signal. In AM you have carrier weave (F), carrier plus modulating (F+m) and carrier minus modulating (F-m).
Example:
Carrier wave 10MHz, modulating - 3~5 kHz (for sound signal) .
== (10000 - 3)kHz; 10000kHz; (10000 + 3)kHz
AM is a standard for short waves broadcast.

Single-sideband Modulation (SSB)

One method of producing an SSB signal is to remove one of the sidebands via
filtering, leaving only either the upper sideband (USB) or less commonly the lower sideband (LSB). Most often, the carrier is reduced (suppressed) or removed entirely.
With other words (10000 + 3)kHz is left.
Assuming both sidebands are symmetric, no information is lost in the process. Since the final RF amplification is now concentrated in a single sideband, the effective power output is greater than in normal AM (the carrier and redundant sideband account for well over half of the power output of an AM transmitter). Though SSB uses substantially less bandwidth and power, it cannot be demodulated by a simple envelope detector like standard AM.

SSB is the modulation - most often used for short waves radio telephony.
Most modern transcievers work on SSB.

Frequency Modulation (FM)

In FM, frequency of the carrier wave is varied by the amplitude of the modulating signal. FM is not used for short waves. Wherever used for VHF the depth of the modulation usually varies from 5 to 100kHz.

On FM, AM or SSB it is possible to encode digital signals - which is an interesting alternative of radio telephony.

3. Antennas

As a rule - the antennas for 10-16 used by non-government enthusiasts are home-made. Yaggies are possible choice for long distance work. Nadenenko dipole has wide spectrum (O,78l < length of the wave < 2l) (l = dipole length) but is quite easily spotted (your neighbours are going to "dislike" such weird thing on the roof :) ).
Half-wave or 1/4 wave dipols are often used.
Practically the length of the antenna could be less than 1/4 wave, for adjustment of the resistance in this case - a coil is placed in the base of the antenna - (2-4 cm in diameter - 10-50 winds). (The number of the winds is adjusted experimentally).
Anyway, do not expect very much from such antenna...
HF antennas are generally horizontal because horizontal dipols have directed emission - very useful for ionosphere reflection.

HF communication is very difficult to be untracable. Size of the antennas, powers used for reliable work (no less than 50-100W) and the short spectrum are majour drawbacks. Anyway, if very directed antanna is used - which does not emit towards the ground - it will be impossible (in theory) to catch without airborn assistance...

ShadowMyGeekSpace
May 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Anyway, if very directed antanna is used - which does not emit towards the ground - it will be impossible (in theory) to catch without airborn assistance...One word: Multilateration.

simply RED
May 17th, 2006, 06:38 AM
If you are on a high altitude spot and emit only upwards, there is not a chance to be detected by ground receiving stations.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
May 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
If you are on a high altitude spot and emit only upwards, there is not a chance to be detected by ground receiving stations.Even if you're bouncing off of the ionosphere, multiple recievers can be used to pinpoint your location, the only difference the ionosphere makes is you have to do a little bit more geometry, and spread out the recievers a little more. You have the fact that you are stationary working against you. If the transmitter was moving, I would totally agree.

simply RED
May 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Bouncing from the ionosphere gives 800 km "silent" radius. So, the first one who is going to "detect" you is at least 800 km away.
Not to mention the fact that when you vary the angle of the directed antenna (yaggie for example), you vary the length of the silent zone...
And the processes in the ionosphere are "sporadic" - it is not a perfect mirror...

But you are RIGHT! Working on stationary short waves station is a sitting duck!

Do you understand wireless computer communication and help write the 7.1 - by the way :) .

ShadowMyGeekSpace
May 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Bouncing from the ionosphere gives 800 km "silent" radius. So, the first one who is going to "detect" you is at least 800 km away.
Not to mention the fact that when you vary the angle of the directed antenna (yaggie for example), you vary the length of the silent zone...
And the processes in the ionosphere are "sporadic" - it is not a perfect mirror...
The silent radius really isnt a problem, because the tracking would be done from the area you're transmitting to anyways, its a moot point. I'm assuming they already nailed the reciever and are now working on locating the transmitter

But you are RIGHT! Working on stationary short waves station is a sitting duck!
And bingo was his name-o.

Do you understand wireless computer communicationBe more specific, are we talking generic WiFi(2.4 and 5ghz), or packet over HAM radio? I understand the fundamentals of both, but the protocols are two different things, and my understanding of packet over ham radio's protocol (half duplex) is not very good.

and help write the 7.1 - by the way :) .I'd be glad to help where ever I can, what is the 7.1? Are you referring to http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/75932-post3.html ? I could do that over the next day or so.

simply RED
May 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM
WiFi(2.4 and 5ghz) (are there other?) - professional systems only .
The ham packet is not very interesting (to my mind)...

7.1 is exactly what you spotted. Why don't you write the whole article!
(only name it
~ (EMW) 7.1 {Your Title Here} ~
so all the radio threads are easily available)

Don't worry if it takes more than a few days to write a good article ...

ShadowMyGeekSpace
May 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
WiFi(2.4 and 5ghz) (are there other?) - professional systems only .
The ham packet is not very interesting (to my mind)...

7.1 is exactly what you spotted. Why don't you write the whole article!
(only name it
~ (EMW) 7.1 {Your Title Here} ~
so all the radio threads are easily available)

Don't worry if it takes more than a few days to write a good article ...
Alright. I'll work on that tomorrow. Expect it up in 1 to 3 days.