View Full Version : homemade drying oven

DeathBlade
May 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM
Well hello, I have been having problem recently with some of my devices and one of my friends though it might have been the devise was still had some moisture in it.

I thought of use in my oven in my apartment. But then I thought its a Natural gas oven and it might cause the composition to ignite not a good thing, so I searched all over google today to see if anyone had made a electric drying rack/oven. So any ideas how I should start?

Thanks

Chopper
May 21st, 2006, 06:16 AM
Try a search for a dessicator.

One may be made with a large plastic container and it's lid. Inside one places Calcium Chloride, covering the bottom to a depth of an inch or so.

Following that, simply place the item/substance you wish to dry into a glass jar/plastic container. Then place this second container inside the first, close the lid of the first container and away you go. Slower than drying by heating, faster than re-growing facial features &/or fingers :)

You would then use the oven in your apartment for re-drying the Calcium Chloride after each dessication cycle.

tomu
May 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
Look at http://geocities.com/mini_bielecki/drying_box.htm

Btw. do you know what google is? Learn how to use it!

DeathBlade
May 21st, 2006, 01:24 PM
When I searched I found that, and it isn't quite what I meant. that is a box with a fan. I am talking about an actual heated oven or rack. I was thinking about using a hairdrier. I'm still not sure what to insulate it with though.

+++++

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious. Improve RAPIDLY or be banned.

NBK

tomu
May 21st, 2006, 06:39 PM
A drying box or what you like to call 'oven' is just an insulated box with heat source and most of the time with a fan.

For low temps below 50° C styrofoam is a suitable insulating material above that temp. go with glass wool.

You can use a hairdryer for heating, I would use some of these small hot air blowers used for heating small rooms. Some use just a light bulp as heat source.

Be careful not to overheat the box or to dry materials to quickly. If stars for example are dried to hot they may be well dried on the outside but still have a moist core.

DeathBlade
May 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
Well yesterday I was at a estate sale and bought a small kiln, (though the nichrome elements were removed) and a small ancient "heatgun". I was able to attach the heatgun to the top of the unit where a section of the asbestos was cut out. I've had it running for the last 30 minutes and the interior temp it holding around 186* F.

Though I think that might be a bit to hot, so I will take apart the heat gun and check the wiring and see if I can wire in a potentiometers to adjust the the temperature and fan speed.

meselfs
May 22nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Consider purchasing one of those small toaster ovens, eg:

http://isuzu2k.tripod.com/garage/pics_-_14.jpg

(Google image search).

The sun works very, very well for drying; when it's not available a toaster oven is priceless. I like to hold whatever I'm heating in an oil bath if possible, to dampen out the temperature fluctuations and since it'll start boiling if the situation gets too hot.