View Full Version : A Rather good day.

Red Beret
May 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM
The following story is completely fiction, it does not reflect on any actual events in any manner, all parts of this story are fictional, as are any characters involved.

Today was rather good.

For the first time in a while I spent the whole day on pyro. I made about half a kilo of quality granulated blackpowder, (quite a feat with my small mill) some nitrocellulose, using the H2S04 + KN03 method, and some MEKP. The night before I also made some MEKP.

I am going to use the blackpowder in a large device, along with some smokeless (shotgun) powder, it should make quite a crater.....

I'll probably dispose of the MEKP, I wont have time to use it, but I will store the NC until I have a large quantity, and then use it to propel something from a disposable cardboard launcher. Or I might use it for gelignite, nitroglycerine is my next project, MEKP is good but it bugs me having to keep it cool for 24hrs. I'm planning on a sizeable ANFO charge soon, the only thing I really have to do is make the AP cap, which I hate doing, then just powder and dry the AN.

Anyway, thats what I've been doing in my hobby lately. :D

The_Duke
May 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM
...well aren't you special.:p

nbk2000
May 27th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Here, everyone is special. ;)

Bert
May 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I would suggest that using NC for propellant from a cardboard tube is not the best method available, particularly if you have just made "half a kilo of quality granulated blackpowder". The NC is much touchier for this use, the BP will function acceptably over a much wider range of backpressure/clearance of projectile to tube.

NoltaiR
May 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
As utterly basic and simple as it is, homemade black powder has always been one of my favorites. Very safe to handle, and very easy to produce in large quantities. I always used the "CIA method" of crystalizing the KNO3 to very finely powdered charcoal and sulfur grains.

Even in small amounts (like 75-100g) it makes for devestating explosions when very well contained. We used to take aluminum conduit (used for electrical work) and cut it into about 8" tubes (they had about a 1" diameter). One side was squeezed shut and folded over using a press. The tube was loosely filled at about 3/4 full and the other end was squeezed shut and folded over.

Absolutely no opening in or out, so for ignition we had to heat the tube itself. We would make a small pile of KNO3/sugar and set it on top. An electrical igniter was embedded in the pile and we stood back very far. It didn't take long at all for the flame on the outside of the tube to heat the BP to ignition on the inside.

The shockwaves were incredible not to mention the bang that echoed for a couple miles.

Bert
May 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
To make a traditional black powder banger:

First, make a cube shaped box of thin cardboard and tape. This is best done by cutting out a cross shaped piece composed of six squares... 4 in a row, and two on either side at the second square from one end. It will look like that Christian symbol when cut out. Fold up the box, leaving the last flap open for loading, and tape all the seams. Fill the box with fine grained black powder. Make a thin tube, just wide enough inside for a piece of black match and perhaps two inches long. Plug the end with a scrap of tissue, and place it in one corner of your filled box. Close the last flap, and secure all seams with tape.

You now have a cardboard cube filled with black powder, with the tube for your fuse sticking out of one corner at an angle.

Get some strong natural fiber string. Plastic string melts and doesn't take glue well, it will not serve for this. The string should be strong enough so you can't easily break it with you bare hands.

Wrap the box with the string, around and around in a tight spiral so that each turn contacts the last turn tightly. When you've done this so the box is completely wrapped so that only the two cardboard ends are visible, turn the box 90* and repeat. Then turn it 90* again, on the other axis and wrap it again. When you've done this, you will have a cube with two layers of string at 90* to each other on every side. Take the string wrapped cube and dip it in carpenter's glue, holding it by the tube. Hang it up by the tube to dry. When dry, remove the bit of tissue paper from the end of the tube and insert your fuse. Fire and enjoy... A nice strong case with no flying metal bits to find you.

Red Beret
June 2nd, 2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks Bert, I know that, I just want to do something kick ass with my NC.;)

Hmm old school blackpowder banger.....I love anything old school.

What would you guys do with you NC, or blackpowder for that matter? Something different or oldschool....I think I will just put all my NC into a pipe (metal or PVC) and bury it a foot or so down. Most of my BP stuff has been small bangers, cobs, a rocket or two and star mines.

Yes we are special.:D

Bert
June 3rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
It's time you made an aerial star shell, prefferably cylindrical. Good uses for BP, shell lift and burst core, propellant for hummers or tourbilion inserts in shells.

NC dissolved in acetone or amyl acetate is a very useful binder for many pyro applications. It's kind of a waste to just burn it. Unless you inititate it, you won't likely get much of a bang even. Take some thick acetone/NC lacquer and mix it with fine BP dust for slurry prime to paint on hard to light things, then dip the freshly slurried fuse or device in more fine grained BP to make SURE it's gonna take fire this time- Pyrotechnic shake-n-bake.