View Full Version : Edible Rocket Car Completed

Fukineh
December 7th, 2002, 02:49 AM
I have finally completed my entirely Edible Rocket Car which some friends and I took to the Calgary Science Olympics and used in an edible gravity racer competition. Unfortunately, It did not win against some of the gravity powered cars because our ultra-light fragile frame broke while hitting the bottom of the ramp (like many other people’s cars did also). Had the ramp been a curve like we thought it was supposed to be instead of straight, we would have won for both speed and distance because we where the only people who had a car utilizing power other than gravity. We won an award for ingenious edible car design, however.

The good points: the car does propel itself on the flat, and the engines which where very tricky to perfect work at least 70% of the time (I believe this is good for entirely edible engines).

Our car utilized a spaghetti frame held together with ju-jubes,and Oreo wheels. Our engine mixture is 6/4 sucrose to KNO3 (Yes KNO3 is edible, it's and an-aphrodisiac, a "laxitive" and a preservative, as well as other things), and the engines are contained inside large noodles with about 1-1.5 '' diameter. The nozzles are penne noodles, and they are held in and the back of the engine is capped with a cement made from sugar, salt, and flower (We had to melt it with sugar because when we tried just wet salt and flower it cracked the noodle casings while drying).

To light the engines 50/50 sucrose to KNO3 powder was poured down the nozzles and lit with a jet lighter. When the engine has ignition, the car is let down the ramp. Of course we had no success with the ramps at the Science Olympics, but we had success at home. I was pleased that although we had some engines that wouldn't ignite properly, not a single one exploded it's noodle casing.

When my fiend and I finish our web site additional info, pictures, and movies should be available.

<small>[ December 07, 2002, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Fukineh ]</small>

warweed12
December 7th, 2002, 03:26 PM
humm is a 4 post topic allowed ?

oh well i am new but have read the rules have you ?

Machiavelli
December 7th, 2002, 04:02 PM
There's no definite rule on this, as some may have 30-40 post by the time they start their first topic, but only because they always post useless comments and one-liners, some people have just a few posts when they start their first topic and some people come here, start their first topic with their first post and afterwards usually never post again :)
In the end it boils down to personal judgement on our part. And since I find the idea of a working edible rocket propelled car hillariously funny, I think it's ok. If it was just an idea than this post would probably be kewl but with a fully working design it's cool.
Just be sure to get that website up fast :D

Yak
December 7th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Wow well done m8!
Sorry that the ramp broke it :(
but again well done for getting a award!

Fukineh
December 7th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Ya sorry about that but I didn't want to make a bunch of useless posts all over the place just so this one wasn't my 5th. I thought I may as well post it because its something totally new and its not my fist post anyway.

BTW I just posted some picture files here.

<a href="http://4hv.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=662;star t=0#lastPost" target="_blank">http://4hv.org/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=662;star t=0#lastPost</a>

<small>[ December 07, 2002, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Fukineh ]</small>

Arkangel
December 9th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Great pics Fukineh, and I have to say that's one of the coolest things I've ever heard of, what a brilliant idea. I bet the rest of the competitors were jealous as fuck!

A-BOMB
December 9th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Why not next time a noodle jet engine? I bet you could do with spiral noodles, bowties, and butane.

firebreether
December 9th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Is butane edible? You'd have to use alcohol fuel if you wanted to keep within the rules. But I concur, the whole edible car thing is a sweet idea. Plus your rocket engine looked pretty nice for being a noodle and all :D

Fukineh
December 9th, 2002, 07:32 PM
What I really want to see someone make is an edible internal combustion engine, or and you said jet engine or maybe a pulse jet. Now that would be sweet!