View Full Version : Benzoyl Peroxide

Alchemist
January 26th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Hello all,
I have seen threads asking about this on and off so hear it is!

PREPARATION OF BENZOYL PEROXIDE

Place 1 ml. Of Benzoyl Chloride into a 125-ml. Erlenmeyer flask containing 25 ml. of distilled water and about 20 grams of crushed ice. Weigh 1.5 to 2 grams of SODIUM PEROXIDE on a piece of paper and add it in small portions to the contents of the flask over a period of about 2 minutes. Shack the flask constantly and rather vigorously to bring the Benzoyl Chloride into fine suspension. Within a few minutes the order of the Benzoyl Chloride will have nearly disappeared and the Benzoyl Peroxide will separate as a white solid. Collect the Benzoyl Peroxide on a filter, wash with distilled water and spread on a clean porous surface to dry. CAUTION: Although Benzoyl Peroxide is ordinarily free from danger, it should be handled carefully because it may EXPLODE when heated or when rubbed vigorously.

P.S.1, Note the use of Sodium Peroxide and NOT Hydrogen Peroxide.
P.S.2, I have not made this myself as I do not have the chemicals, but know those that have and it works as discribed!
Also check this msds out! http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/b1831.htm

------------------

MacCleod
January 26th, 2001, 01:43 AM
Hey,Alchemist:have you ever tried to purify/seperate the benzoyl peroxide from body putty hardener?.

------------------
"That which does not kill us,makes us stronger"

SafetyLast
January 26th, 2001, 11:03 AM
I have a couple tubes of that stuff.
when you squeeze the tube a red paste and a clear liquid come out, the red paste contains Benzoyl Peroxide
(I think its 20% by weight) and the clear liquid is Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide
(I don't know the %)

MacCleod
January 26th, 2001, 11:20 PM
The kind I have is a gritty white cream;I think it's 'Bondo' brand.I might try drying it,dissolving it in acetone to remove any binders that may be in it(?).

------------------

10fingers
January 27th, 2001, 12:16 AM
Let me know if you figure out how to separate this stuff. I have noticed it separates somewhat in the tube. The red stuff is just a dye so that you can tell when it is evenly mixed in the Bondo. Wal-Mart sells just the tubes of hardener for about a buck.

MacCleod
January 27th, 2001, 06:24 AM
I got mine at Lowe's.It's a larger tube than some;I think it's one ounce(for two something).I'll keep ya' posted.

MacCleod
February 3rd, 2001, 08:05 PM
I didn't get a chance to try to seperate the peroxide out,but I did find some info in "Guide for Safety in the Chemical Laboratory"-"Benzoyl peroxide has been reported to explode for no apparent reason.Other explosions,presumably due to friction,have occurred while opening bottles containing benzoyl peroxide.Precautions :Do not allow bottles of benzoyl peroxide open or allow contamination with organic matter.Store in containers having tops which minimize friction on opening.In the standard directions for the preperation of perbenzoic acid,it is stated that impure benzoyl peroxide should be recrystallized from a small amount of hot chloroform.Several attempts at such crystallizations have resulted in explosions.Precautions:Benzoyl peroxide can be recrystallized without danger by the addition of methanol to a solution of benzoyl peroxide in chloroform at room temperature."This might be worth a try with the hardener paste,except I've got no chloroform!.BTW,the tube I got at Lowes was actually 2.75 oz.,for around $2.80 .

------------------

[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited February 03, 2001).]

SofaKing
February 4th, 2001, 02:08 PM
The NBK file has a procedure to make chloroform that's super simple.

MacCleod
February 4th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Thanks,SofaKing!.

------------------

mr.evil
October 10th, 2001, 05:32 AM
a question:

I'm wondering if Benzoyl Peroxide (the active ingredient in most acne medication) can be used as a substitute for H2O2 in the manufacture of AP. I haven't been able to find any stores that sell H2O2 in concentrations greater than 3%, but I have no trouble obtaining Benzoyl Peroxide. Any information on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

------------------
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down"
Wherner von Braun

Hex
October 10th, 2001, 06:15 AM
You could try it, but I don't think so..
H2O2 partially splits into H+ and OOH- in water, and it's the OOH- that does the business.
Benzoyl peroxide's normal function is to split to 2Ph-COO. radicals, hence it's common use as a chain reaction initiator. Perhaps in aqueous solution (assuming it's soluble) it would end up as benzoic acid and hydrogen peroxide, or even benzoic acid and peroxybenzoic acid (which might work for AP)but I'm not sure.

mr.evil
October 10th, 2001, 06:54 AM
mmmm i see.

i just try it.

------------------
Wherner von Braun

SofaKing
October 18th, 2001, 10:58 AM
3% works I know it works. So what the hell is the problem. Even if you could extract/make benzoyl peroxide you don't know if it's going to work, so that's a lot of wated effort for what ? You could try concentrating the 3%, that might get you somewhere. Or you could just wait 3 days knowing that everthing is kosher.

------------------
With Knowledge we find Truth - With Truth we find Freedom

bombman
October 19th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Ive recently found out that lots of acne medacations uses benzoyl peroxide. Dose any one have any ideas on how to extract it.

[This message has been edited by bombman (edited October 20, 2001).]

mark
October 20th, 2001, 02:47 PM
If your having problems with 3% peroxide, then use 30%. 2 in 1 furniture bleach contains a quart of 30% and a quart of sodium scilicate. Its 9 bucks a box at hardware stores.

MacCleod
October 21st, 2001, 09:57 PM
If you can't find furn. bleach look for a beauty supply store or beauty parlor and get 40 volume hair bleach-it's 12% peroxide.

mr.evil
October 22nd, 2001, 11:37 AM
never mind...

i got 12% 1ltr. and 300ml. 35% H2O2.
anyway thanx everybody for his help.

------------------
Wherner von Braun

vulture
November 25th, 2001, 06:13 AM
http://search.be.acros.com/search?server=www.acros.be&search=benzoyl+peroxide&for=acros&sup=acros&pri=BEF&lang=NL&rid=t&stock=t