View Full Version : Oxyliquits

tylerni7
June 19th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I am suprised that no one has mentioned oxyliquits on this forum (at least I can't find any when I search). They are high explosives that are incredibly easy to create. As you can see I am a n00b, so I have not tried this yet, although I have made some liquid oxygen. I was hoping some of you more experienced pyros might be able to share your experiences, or those of you who could do this safely could tell me how it is (I realize that I shouldn't post a tutorial without having tried it first, but it seems logical that more experienced users should share their experiences or try it before I kill myself with it...) At the least, you might be able to use this tutorial to help make liquid oxygen...

The first step is to make sure you have the materials. While it is easy to create, you will need some things that you might not all have.

1. Fuel (such as charcol, soot, aluminum powder, etc)
2. Liquid oxygen (this is hard to come by so instead you can use a strong glass bottle, liquid nitrogen(a few liters), a rubber stopper, oxygen(a tank would speed things up), and rubber tubing)
3. Appropriate safety gear

Steps (assuming you don't have liquid oxygen if so skip to step 4)

1. If you have an oxygen tank, attach it to the rubber tube, and have it lead into one end of the rubber stopper, another rubber tube should come out of the stopper, it is not necessary, but is helpful. Put the rubber stopper on a strong glass bottle, other materials with better heat conduction will work better.

2. Carefully place the bottle in a bath of liquid nitrogen. It should be at least 3/4 covered. Do this slowly, so the bottle doesn't crack (duh). Start either pumping O2 through one tube, or blowing air through it with a fan. Try to keep the bottle cold to make sure the oxygen will condense. Keep this up for an hour or so, or more if you are using a fan.

3. There should be a bluish liquid at the bottom of the glass. This is liquid oxygen! :D

4. Soak the fuel in the liquid oxygen. Use tongs so you don't freeze your hands. After the fuel is soaked throughly, you won't have very long until the oxygen evaporates again, so try to detonate it quickly, and from a safe distance.

That's it! according to the Wikipedia article on oxyliquits (found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyliquit)), these have a detonation velocity of about 3000m/s and can be 4%-12% more powerful than dynamite.

Reply back with any experiences you have with this, or any questions about it.
(Both liquid nitrogen and gaseous oxygen can be bought from a local welding supply store, some won't sell liquid nitrogen to you unless you have a special dewar...)

rsgpit
June 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I've heard that Charcoal briquettes are very powerful explosives when soaked in liquid nitrogen. I imagine that activated carbon would be even more powerful because of the surface area. Supposedly the strongest explosive is porus silicon soaked in liquid oxygen.

FUTI
June 20th, 2006, 03:25 PM
IIRC that is old (or maybe even still used?) explosive composition for mines. IIRC it suposed to be very good and safe composition.

Also I think I found couple years ago a story about video feed with burning of coal in air, then stream of pure oxygen and ligthing the same soaked with liquid oxygen...chem demo that should teach them the basics of chemical kinetics...and we are suposedly distributing dangerous information for rag-heads to use? write your representative to take some other pot, this one they use right now make them go into bad trip...

Bert
June 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Try searching under Sprengel explosives.

The_Duke
June 20th, 2006, 04:45 PM
IIRC that is old (or maybe even still used?) explosive composition for mines. IIRC it suposed to be very good and safe composition.

No! They are extremely inflammable and very unsafe! Not to mention they are troublesome to use and uneconomical for commercial blasting. You are right though, such explosives were used at one time for mining and other commercial purposes. But this was by the Germans during the second world war, and only because all Nitrate and Nitro explosives were being used for the war effort.

tylerni7
June 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I know that oxyliquits are classified as sprengel explosives, but didn't think to search for that. Sorry. But yea thank you for your input, if these are fairly safe I will try it out in a week or so...

akinrog
June 21st, 2006, 05:47 AM
I know that oxyliquits are classified as sprengel explosives, but didn't think to search for that. Sorry. But yea thank you for your input, if these are fairly safe I will try it out in a week or so...

I believe you must take warnings into consideration. They are unsafe and most importantly unpredictable. I watched an explosive related documentary in which the narrator was stating why sprengel explosives are not used. They are very unpredictable, which means they may go off without no apparent reason and even statics may cause an initiation.

Oxygen is a bad thing even in terms of occupational safety. I don't know what is the case in other countries, but in my country Oxygen bottles of oxy-acetylene welders have a warning label stating that grease must be kept away from the bottle. If you touch the bottle with your greasy hands, it may start fireworks. :eek:. Regards.