View Full Version : purple smoke

bjornebarn
July 17th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I have read that a mixture of aluminium powder and iodine crystals will produce purple smoke when exposed to a small amount of water. However, I have no idea of the ratio. Can you help me there, and maybe give me more relevant information?

nbk2000
July 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Anyone feel like telling this n00b just exactly why this is a stupid question?

Oh, and not forgetting the fact that this was originally posted in the wrong section.

Anira
July 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I might not know exactly why its a stupid question, I don't know too much about chemisty, but I can clue you in on the reaction.

This reaction produces a lot of smoke that you don't want anywhere near your mouth. I have seen it in a chemistry lab with the use of a vent hood. A couple grams went on for a few minutes and filled the hood with smoke the whole time (the fan was on). You sound as thought you have not taken any sort of chemistry course, this probably would not be a good place to start.

Aluminum has an atomic mass of 26 and Iodine of 127. The reaction requires 3 iodine atoms for every aluminum one, so we need 127*3/26 or 14.5 times as much iodine as aluminum by weight. You only need a couple drops of water.

tomu
July 18th, 2006, 06:40 PM
If you have access to iodine don't waste it on this silly smoke thing.

If you don't know better than this, for all means sell it to people who have better uses for it (and no I'm not talking about Nitrogen Tri-iodide).

nbk2000
July 19th, 2006, 05:07 AM
That's exactly my point!

Convert that iodine to hydriodic acid, and you can sell it at over $1,000/gallon to dope cooks, or use it yourself to make WAY more money making meth, than burning it up for silly colored smoke.

Remember, this 'formula' was from a time when you could buy iodine and other 'drug' chemicals that are now banned, over-the-counter!

Jacks Complete
July 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM
That's interesting. In the UK, a few years ago, I had no trouble buying a brown glass jar with iodine granules in it, from a local chemist. I think it was 200g.They sit in the chemicals collection to this day.

Bert
July 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Up to a couple of years ago, you could buy crystals of Iodine by the pound at agricultural supply stores for treating hoof rot. No more in the US. I have to sign for, and they must record my driver's license and quantity of ephedrine obtained if I buy allergy pills now as well-

nbk2000
July 20th, 2006, 05:08 AM
You can still buy liquid iodine tincture for hoof rot, at ~$40/gallon. I believe it's 7% I, so there's a bit in there, but not a lot.

c.Tech
July 21st, 2006, 10:40 PM
A while ago (2-3 years), I could buy sodium iodide from an agricultural supply store, they probably still sell it.
It was about $50 AUS per kilo.

It can be changed to iodine through this method http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/iodine.html although it would be hard obtaining potassium permanganate for a cheep price and dichromate is carcinogenic, I just know I would get some on my hand ;). http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/kdichromate.html

grendel23
July 22nd, 2006, 03:15 AM
I don't know about OZ, but in the US, KMNO4 is available to recharge filters used to remove iron from well water, $16 per pound at farm supply stores.

nbk2000
July 22nd, 2006, 04:07 AM
To change an iodide to iodine, all you need is Hydrogen Peroxide and Hydrochloric acid, both of which are very readily available, and which has been detailed here before.

UTFSE. :)