View Full Version : Detonating ANFO - my research

Surferus
July 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Dear gentlemen,

There was a long time I've been trying to find the best way to detonate the mix of granulated AN with 4-5% of diesel fuel added.
I started my research in the area of this explosive because it is cheap and easy to prepare.

The detonation wave is formed by the local increases of the density of substance. Of course as many of us know from school, the speed of the wave depends on two things: density of the substance and the Jung module of the given substance (often refered to as E). After writing some quite easy formulas, one can conclude that V ~ sqrt(E/d), where d is density, V is the speed of detonation wave.

Again, the equation above gives us a simple understanding of why, for example, the speed of detonation for granulated explosives is lower than that for ground explosives, like ammonal or ground and pressed TNT.

The main reason is that E module for granulated explosives is lower. When a pressure is applied to granulated material, granulas change their shape and become ellipsoids with considerable eccentricity rather than spheres. When the size of granulas is big, this leads to sharp decrease of volume and the smaller the granulas are, the less considerable this decrease is.

Even when the container with explosive is weak (plastic or paper), detonation wave reflects on it (or even on the surface of the charge), and thus our main goal is (roughly speaking) to make the wave maximums of reflected wave to be just in the places where maximums of the original wave were. Thus even if our ANFO charge doesn't detonate completely from the original detonation wave, refelected wave accomplishes the business.

Yes, matching the needed maximums at least requires us to know the exact speed of detonation wave in the substance. But look at the first two paragraphs of my post. The speed can be deducted from measuring the size of granulas, because, to our happiness, manufactures make AN granulas shape very close to spherical. I tried to write a numerical simulation progam that would calculate the approximate detonation speed for material which consists of spherical particles of given E, but I am only partly sucessfull so far.

I am now going to conduct at least 4 tests to check if my theory works.
I guess there is a place where many professionals gather to share the knowledge, thus I would be very glad if someone of them told me if simular works have ever been performed and what the results were.

megalomania
July 19th, 2006, 06:30 AM
If there has been any prior research on ANFO detonation characteristics, it is either scattered out in a few journals, or reserved for in-house use by engineering corporations. There are very few journals that would discuss such things, in relative abundance to all of the other scientific journals, so that might narrow your search a bit. Try looking in Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics first, then try Combustion and Flame, the Journal of Hazardous Materials, and quite possibly any journal on mining or oil geology.

simply RED
July 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Consider that the commercial ammonium nitrate fertilizer is coated and does not absorb hydrocarbon fuels.
Directly mix prilled fertilizer AN with 5% diesel and try to detonate it with 20g pentolite booster. It does not detonate.

Surferus
July 19th, 2006, 07:56 AM
As I know, the commercial AN is especially designed to be easily soluble in water, so granules should not be covered by anything water-resistant.

However I haven't ever tried to detonate this mix in practice, I am just going to. You mean you tried to use 20 g pentolite cap yourself? If what you say is true, then I guess there is no way to make granulated ANFO of the commercial ammonium nitrate.

I have an access to laboratory ammonium nitrate, but I don't have as much of it as I will need for tests.

strongwbow
August 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Commercial ammonium nitrate prills can be washed in denatured alcohol to remove the plasticized coating. The prills can then be fine ground between two heavy oak boards. The resulting powder can them be used for mixing with fuel oil etc or my fav mononitrobenzene. Percolate mixture for 30 min and attach detonator. Try the ignition cap from an automotive air bag. Just like Kine Pak

almazzan
August 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I am a beginner in this beautiful forum, I would want to know if is possible to replace ammonium nitrate with potassium nitrate in the anfo mixture ?

+++++++++

Yes.

But the Devil is in the details. I leave that to you to find by UTFSE. :)

NBK

badpelican
September 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I came across this ANFO information online. Mixing of the Ammonium nitrate and FO and recommended ratios of each are discussed.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/explosives-anfo.htm