View Full Version : Flashbang

stanfield
August 12th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Do you think there is a way to make flashbang grenade like in Counterstrike ? http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

ALENGOSVIG1
August 12th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Ofcourse. i posted a formula before. and there was a whole thread about making flashbangs. maccleod told me that he used to fill very small cat food cans with potassium nitrate and aluminum and glue the lid back on. he told me it would flash very brightly. but like i said i posted an actual flashbang formula designed for that purpose. Before you ask a question, seach first.

------------------
How much power will you lose if you do not know what they already know?

Explosives Archive (http://surf.to/alexplo)

Victim
August 16th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Not really anything to do with the actual making of a flashbang, but thought i'd put them in anyways.

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/thevictim/images/flashbang1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/thevictim/images/bang.JPG

------------------
"Death, The End Of Hope, The Friend Of The Friendless..."

Wedge
August 16th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Terrorists Win!

cutefix
August 16th, 2001, 06:28 AM
There is a patent forFlashbang,check this out if it can be improvised;US Patent 4,947,753-Stun Grenade….

vulture
June 25th, 2002, 11:48 AM
This afternoon, I succesfully set off a homemade flashbang. :D
I made one of my regular crackers filled with KMnO4/Al/S and then put a second tube around it which I filled with the same flash. There was no contact between the two compartiments. I sett it off under some dirt because I can not make much noise here.
Of course the bang was rather weak, but despite it being covered, it still produced a bright flash in daylight.

S. Toppholzer
June 25th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Maybe you guys remember my "exploding dogpile" experiment :p
Well, I developed it further. Let me give you a short description of this particular flashbang which is a tad dangerous to the object thrown at since it is terribly loud and - ah, well, you decide for yourselves.
firstly, make some NC laquer with a high content of acetone and just a little NC. Then add this to an amount of HMTD and form a small ball (the amount I used was about the size of a cherry). Squeeze it enough so the HMTD will stick together. Next, use some thick NC laquer and coat this "cherry" several times until the coating is about one mm thick. Now take about three big spoonful of magesium powder, mix it with enough NC lacqer so it will stick together and form this mass around the "cherry". The next step might be omitted - coating this ball with thick NC laquer again.
After this, put this ball at the (closed) bottom of the carton of a toilet paper roll. fill this with thermite - press it.
Add some chlorate/sugar mix at the top, close the cylinder. Finally, make a small hole and insert a fuse so that the end will ignite the sugar/chlorate mix. affix the fuse with hot glue and you're set.
This "flashbang" will have the effect of a small incendiary grenade plus it will detonate with an extremely loud noise.

[edited some typos]

<small>[ June 25, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: S. Toppholzer ]</small>

Zambosan
June 25th, 2002, 04:36 PM
GAAA.. I think you'd be better off calling that a "slag-slinger"!!!

S. Toppholzer
June 25th, 2002, 04:42 PM
as I said - a tad dangerous to the object thrown at...

xoo1246
June 25th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Check my last post in the videos and pictures post and you'll see images of a small improvised diversionary device.(basicly a plastic shell with flash powder, lol) This time it was electrically fired, but could easiely be fitted with a fuse. Gave a nice bang, a flash, a muchroom cloud and no fragments.
Another idea idea would be using a plastic pipe, with large holes drilled in it, in that a paper tube filled with flash(within the plastic pipe). Sealed in both ends and fitted with a fuse. Possibly you could make a core with flash in it that had too little oxidiser in it and another layer with pure very small particled aluminum (or better Mg)around that. That way aluminium(or Mg, possibly Ti) would be pushed out of the holes at the same time it's beeing ignited, and then burning in oxygen from air and also from hot oxygen from the first flash charge. That was only a theory.

<small>[ June 25, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: xoo1246 ]</small>

spydamonkee
August 27th, 2002, 05:13 PM
i would suggest never mixing ap/hmtd with other chems with the exception of dry AN as that seems to be faily stable
i understand toppholzer had a <a href="http://www.roguesci.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000449" target="_blank">hmtd accident</a> requiring surgery, thus i would advise againt his previous post, but hey its up to ya'll to decide ya own fate.

Madog555
August 27th, 2002, 07:01 PM
AP can be mixed with NC to make AP putty and i have never heard of this going off for no reason. it is very powrful too. i do not use it tho. i have made it a couple times

never mix HMTD with anything. so far i have heard 2 stories of HMTD/NC going off spontaniously

CodeMason
August 29th, 2002, 11:46 AM
This sounds easy enough. Go about making a nap-charge, wherein a primary rapidly deflagrating or explosive charge disperses and ignites a flammable solid mixture, from usually the compartment above it, in the air. However, in this case, make the payload fine flake Al or (preferably) Mg, instead of the usual naphthalene. If you're concerned about it not igniting (and remember that fine Al and Mg tend to be quite pyrophoric!), simply add in some standard fuel/oxidizer mix (compensating for incompatibilities of course.)

Holotex
September 4th, 2002, 07:12 PM
For creating an exteme blinding effect the strenght of the container is crucial. The foto energy must be released in the shortest amount of time possible. Then the blinding effect will be optimum,and a minumum of flash powder is needed.
The best material (I think) would be a small aluminium pipe,diam. 28mm,length max.12 cm,1mm thick plate,(not thicker for fragmentation
danger). The ends both bent at 4 points,(like a shotgun shell) on one site leaving a little hole for the fuze. The flashpowder consist of an optimum mix of KNO3 and Mg with 5% red P or S instead of Mg. This mix was time stabillity tested for 12 months and proved OK. This device is small,easy to carry,but has a big potential for distraction/defensive purpose.

kingspaz
September 5th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Holotex, 1mm Al WILL make decent shrapnel. what is needed is something that will 'vapourise' upon deflagration into microscopic particles.

Holotex
September 5th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Yes you're right,within a certain radius it could make bad injuries.
No tests were done to find out a safe distance for this device.
Only a "safer" version was tested,consisting of a Al container 100ml
just a little stronger than a hair-/deo spray can. This one proved to have no dangerous shrapnel at a distance of 5 meters. The Al fragments are thin and relatively large, just like leaves from a tree. But as usual for an optimum effect it's extra important to have a very fine powder.

NoltaiR
September 6th, 2002, 12:04 AM
I don't mean to be the one to input the lame idea, but simple acetylene/oxygen mixes in work well in strong balloons (meaning balloons that would cause a fair amount of pressure on the gas within; 'twisty balloons' work terrificly for this job). They can be made at little to nothing for cost (if you know someone who is a welder) and they are enough to keep your ears ringing for a few minutes if you are anywhere near one. They most definetly are known to draw attention...

kanbayat
September 21st, 2002, 10:22 PM
Years ago I tried to make a "flash bang device".
what I came up with was an extremly quetw flash and no bang..it was fairly bright though.

The formula was something like this..equal parts by weight of zinc dust, zinc oxide, and sulphur.

I rolled a very loose tube around a pencil, folded both ends over and taped with scotch tape, and fused in the middle.

Upon lighting the mixture gives a very queite sorta poof with bright flash..I think I used some al in place of the zinc dust..but I dont remember for sure...it gives off a greenish smoke whebn ignited. because zinc oxide has relativly little o2..the paper tube must be very loose.

By the way..acetylene/oxygen in baloons makes a very loud boomer indeed. We used to make marble sized baloons and throw them under our friends while they were welding..and it makes quite a boom..scaring the shit outa the intended. A regular baloon filled with this mix sounds like..what used to be called m-100's or so.

It's simple with a torch head..fill the balloon about 90% capacity with gas..and a squirt of oxygen..and tie it off..tape a fuse to it..and tie a helium balloon to the mess and send it up.

A friend of mine got overzealous one summer and was filling garbage bags with the stuff...he blew all the windows out of his house before the arrest..be careful children..acetylene can spontaneously blow at 15% in the atmosphere.
peace people.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You'll notice a few changes have been made your post. Such things as proper capitalization of the letter "I" when referring to yourself, Capitalizing the first letter in a sentence, and paragraph breaks between sentences instead of one run-on sentence.

Also, your last post was deleted and added into this one. We prefer that people edit their replies to add any additional thought if their post is the last one in a thread, rather than pumping up their post count by adding additional posts as "after thoughts".

NBK

<small>[ September 21, 2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>

Bubba
December 5th, 2002, 01:22 AM
I have the Paladin Press book on makeing Flashbangs.

Shows the M116 Grenade "simulator" filler is:
40% AL powder
30% Potassium Perchlorate
30% Barium Nitrate

They call it "Photoflash"

For a "Expedient" Flash Bang they recommend:
(below amounts are by weight)
20% AL shavings
20% Magnesium shavings
30% Potassium Perchlorate
30% Barium Nitrate

DarKPhoeniX
September 29th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hi all, i'm french & new on this website.
I'm sure that your explications are very interesting but I've got little difficulties to traduce some of your abbreviations. :S

Then could you tell me please what does HTMD, AP (aceton peroxyd i guess), AL & the others abbreviations helpful mean ?

Thank you very much :)

DBSP
September 29th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Dude you really need to start reading up on the subjects discussed on this forum before posting questions like that. Before you know what HMTD is you shouldn't start making explosives!!

Your quiestion is really easy, the answer at least. Start reading up on the existing topics before posting there kind of quiestion again. If not then you won't be staying here very long.

AND this post is in the wrong section and the reply is totally off topic (OT).

You shouldn't have posted this question at all, but if you really had to do it you should have posted it in the water cooler.

Isn't the waiting period active now?

If it is and you have had two full weaks to learn how this place works and still not got tha hang of it, there is little hope for you remaingin on this board any longer period of time...

Wydarr
October 15th, 2003, 04:24 PM
I used to make a kind of flashbang we used to pop as home-made firecrackers. Before telling you how it's done I must state that because of a lack of a decent weighting balance the amounts are not very precise. This leaves room to a lot of experimenting. This is the original recipe:

Four spoonfulls of KMnO4 and four of aluminum powder (very fine mesh) are mixed together in a jar. Also one can add some Mg powder if there is some around. If not.... we can very well manage without it.
After a very thorough shaking of the respective jar when the two chemicals are fairly mixed the next step is to go outside and get some flint rocks (the ones that spark when you hit them and have a funny smell afterwards. THey also look translucent) They have to be about three cm in diameter because it it a fair compromise between their weight, the surface that will trigger the reaction and the weight of the final product a.k.a. home made flashbang.

The next step would be to get some polyethylene bags (an adequate bag would have to deform when you pull vigurously, and must not shear all the way when you get past the "breaking point") and you cut them into 10 to 15 cm squares.

On each of these you put three to four rocks and about one and a half to two spoons of the mixture. You join the four corners of the plastic square and here comes the tricky part: using some wide tape (the one I have is about three cm wide) you tape very thorougly the projectile. The tape that I have also slightly deforms when applying a vigorous pull and I do that in order to make sure that the stones are firmly held in place. When you have applied a generous amount of tape and you feel the projectile firm and the rocks not moving you can stop taping and start looking for a target.

For detonating the so called FB you either throw it in the air or against a wall. If you have the right ratio of KMnO4 vs. Al then the result is a VERY bright flash (it stays for minutes one your retina, much longer than in Counterstrike for that matter) and the sound is earblowing. As for shrapnel only once I have been hit by a rock (since you have only four of them the chances are slim) and with no concussion or any phisical sign. Actually it was more of a patting than hitting. The next day after detonating one of these you can asses the amount of KMnO4 you wasted by scouting the blasting area. Too much and everything on a 3 meter radius is violet.

Have fun.

stanfield
October 15th, 2003, 04:28 PM
DarKPhoeniX, I've translated the names of commonly discussed explosives and Al(aluminum powder) into french.

AP = peroxyde d'acétone
HMTD = un autre explosif peroxyde, similaire à l'AP
Al = aluminium, généralement en poudre pour la pyrotechnie.

Anyway, translated from french: Don't ask stuoid easy question or the forum will turn on you...or something like that.

No languages except english is allowed here, therefore I removed the text you wrote the other french guy.

bye !

EDIT: Stanfield, I edited your reply a bit so that no rules are broken.

bloodbob
October 18th, 2003, 05:37 AM
The latest generation of flash bangs are thermobaric( thermobarics are spread PRIOR to ignition/detonation where as fuel air is vaporised/spread via a explosive charge ) weapons using fine aluminium powder and a timed ignitor and are reusable. I don't know the spreading is done via a powered fan/motor or just by the throwing action. The reusablity is good cost cutting in training.

Mr. Yuck
December 30th, 2003, 10:27 AM
The spreading is done by a burst charge. It i called a FAE, or fue-air explosive.

I remember seeing something about a flashbang made of HDPE with large holes in it. The container was lined with paper, or thin plastic. As a filler, DBSP doped with 6-8% dark Al. and detonated with a #6 cap.

warren
January 4th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I have made a flashbang before It didn't work all that well but im sure people could improve upon it. It was a M-80 tube but not as thick and then a bigger tube that could fit over the M-80 tube with roughly 1/8 of an inch I filled it with Flash powder. The results a BANG then a small flash.

me234
February 26th, 2004, 02:26 AM
My plan is this: Take apart a patry popper, those pull strings thing, put a bit of AP down the 'stem' wash it down there properly with a touch of acetone and let dry; once dry fill to about half way with unpressed AP; fill the rest of the way with Al powder; put piece of cardboard from earlier dismantlement over Al and tape in place.
I know for a fact that these poppers will set off AP, no problem there. Now Al powder sprinkled over AP on a sheet of newspaper and lit works fine: The flame reaches the AP and it deflegrates and blows the AL into the air and ignites it , hell you guys know how it works. But herein lies the problem: The party popper DETONATES the AP, it doesn't deflagrate, so especially due to the bad OB a detonation might not set off the Al, I'll do tests to try it out but any suggestions from you guys would be wonderful. I've already tried APPN under the AL, but it just doesn't work as well to ignite the Al.

fire vs. water
February 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I have successfully made a simple flashbang.
It produced more of a flash than a bang, but I'm sure it could be improved.
I only tried it twice so far, and I made it quite small, so I'm sure if it would be bigger, it would make a hell of a flash!

my procedure:
(I don't know the exact amouts I used, but I know the proportions...)

I took a "Kinder Egg" (the choclate eggs which have a suprize in them, I used the plastic egg inside it...), and filled it up to 1/4 full with the following mixture:

25% 30-70 flash powder
75% Whistle mix (extracted from small rockets... It's color was white, but except that I don't have any details about it...)

I poked a tiny hole in the egg, stuck in a visco, and sealed the rest of the hole with superglue.

I then wrapped the egg with 4 layers of aluminium foil, and then taped it with 2 layers of brown packaging tape.

The first one I lit exploded like a regular salute. The plastic egg blew to shreds.

The second one acted like a flashbang when I lit it. When I went to check it out, I saw the egg had just popped open, and only the foil and tape warp were in bits.

I found out the best way to do it is to wrap the egg around the sides with tape and foil, and wrap it with only tape and one layer of foil over the top.
That increases the flash... (but reduces the bang...).

(edit: spelling mistake..)