View Full Version : Amazon downloading group

Hemisync
August 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
For those that are not aware Amazon.com has scans of 1,000s of entire books.

If you have bought books from Amazon ,and used a credit card, you can access the "Search Inside " feature.

Of course Amazon has put limits on how much of a book you can download.

If several people co-operated it would be easy to download entire books.

For example, I saw the entire chapter on lockpicking from Locks Safes and Security that some one had managed to collect and post on Rapidshare.
That was almost a book in of its self.

Several chapters of Fingertip Firepower: Pen Guns, Knives, And Bombs were also posted to Rapidhare.

If you want to see what I am talking about, go to amazon.com and try a search for authors like J. David Truby, John Minnery, Uncle Fester,and a lot of other authors from Loompanics and Paladin.

Ultimately I would like to join with others who have an account on Amazon.
They could download some material that I wanted, I would in turn download what they wanted. It would be done on a page for page basis. The more you contribute, the more you would get. No one would get access who did not contribute.

Ropik
August 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I bought books only from German Amazon, which is probably of no use. But if somebody would have the Fingertip firepower chapters, I would be very grateful for them. Can I be of any help otherwise than collecting pages? I am not motivated solely by these books; I think it is an excellent idea.

nbk2000
August 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Regarding LSS, why bother with attempting to download a lo-res version when you can buy a hi-res scan from me? :)

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/links-literature/5536-locks-safes-security-2nd-ed.html

I'd only suggest doing Amazon ripping if there was NO other alternative to getting a book, as the time put into it must be enourmous compared to borrowing the book and scanning it in directly.

Unless there's some trick I'm not aware of?

Hemisync
August 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Ok, here is a free sample from Locks Safes and Security

Its Chapter 29 on lockpicking. It was downloaded from Amazon search inside service.

It took about an hour to grab the jpgs and do the pdf file. (104 copied links)

I ask the learned members of this forum.... Is it good enough for sharing ?

http://rapidshare.de/files/29667209/5555274175.pdf.html

pw= www.roguesci.org

nbk2000
August 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM
The password doesn't work for the ###175.pdf file.

Bugger
August 22nd, 2006, 07:39 AM
Ok, here is a free sample from Locks Safes and Security
Its Chapter 29 on lockpicking. It was downloaded from Amazon search inside service. It took about an hour to grab the jpgs and do the pdf file. (104 copied links). I ask the learned members of this forum.... Is it good enough for sharing ?
http://rapidshare.de/files/29667209/5555274175.pdf.html
pw= www.roguesci.org
This link has been broken already, within 5 days. Please re-upload, or I would like to receive an emailed copy.