View Full Version : AP from O2

Hawk
June 28th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Has anyone attemped to make AP from Bubbling
oxygen through a solution of acetone and HCL? If so did you have any success.

kingspaz
June 28th, 2001, 06:36 PM
the simplest way to make oxygen uses peroxide and a catalyst (yeast, liver, potato) so why do that when you could just use the peroxide directly in the reaction.

PYRO500
June 28th, 2001, 07:58 PM
I think that the peroxide is necessary for the reaction to work, you ned the h atoms to be replaced by C(CH<sub>3</sub>)<sub2</sub> and I think that the acid somehow catalizez the acetone to bond at the points and replace the H or something like that. anyways that is just my guess I could be wrong. I think what he meand is like bubbling air through the solution with a cheap air pump or something. maybee PHILOUZ. could help here.

Mr Cool
July 2nd, 2001, 04:36 PM
The equation for the trimer is:

3 CH3COCH3 + 3 H2O2 + HCl --> HCl + 3 H2O + ((CH3)2CO2)3

I don't see why this wouldn't work as well:

3 CH3COCH3 + 1.5 O2 + HCl --> HCl + ((CH3)2CO2)3

but it'd take longer.

kingspaz
July 2nd, 2001, 05:59 PM
the reason i don't think it would work is because when H2O2 decomposes to H2O and a free oxygen atom. air contains only O2 not O alone. i dunno, i'm doing A level chemistry next year so i'll know more then hopefully http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

Mr Cool
July 2nd, 2001, 07:20 PM
Ether, THF and MANY other things are peroxidised by atmospheric O2, so acetone with a catalyst may very well be able to.

kingspaz
July 3rd, 2001, 06:14 PM
mr cool, thats a good point you have there. something i didn't think of. what might help aid O2 dissolving in water is one of those porous rock things on the end of fish tank pumps which make very small bubbles.

Anthony
July 3rd, 2001, 07:22 PM
I know that bubbling air through water only dissolves a miniscule amount of oxygen, so considering the reactants for AP are mostly water, the reaction using oxygen - if it works would probably take a very long time.

PHILOU Zrealone
July 4th, 2001, 09:22 AM
O2 can peroxydise aceton but you would need strong sun exposure and oxygen stream! Aceton has to be cold since when cold a higher contain of O2 can be acheived.
Of course seed of reaction is low and exposure to sunlight can retroact as soon as the concentration of peroxydes is sufficient...boom.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Mr Cool
July 4th, 2001, 12:44 PM
I was going to suggest UV light, but I thought that would decompose the AP as soon as it was made.
Hey, I've got a great idea - stick to using H2O2!

PYRO500
July 4th, 2001, 03:27 PM
what if you used O<sub>3</sub> ?

Mr Cool
July 4th, 2001, 03:59 PM
I'm sure it'd work, but ask yourself: which would be easier, quicker and cheaper, H2O2 or O3???

Anthony
July 4th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Wouldn't O3 decompose the acetone?

fightclub
July 4th, 2001, 07:07 PM
There is a German patent that mentions Ozone will give peroxides with Acetone, but not the cyclic explosive dimeric and trimeric acetone peroxides you guys are thinking about.

I doubt reaction with oxygen will work, Acetone and hydrochloric acid leads to compounds like Phorone (Diisopropylideneacetone; ((CH3)2C:CHCOCH:C(CH3)2), Mesityl oxide (CH3COCH:C(CH3)2) and other products.

[This message has been edited by fightclub (edited July 04, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
July 23rd, 2001, 08:15 AM
O3 react with cetones to give some unstable compounds way to unstable! The reaction is very common in organic chemistry and takes place at -80C with dilluted O3 (what is explosive on its own); you get ozonides and some weird molecules with cyclic rings of O. They finally split in craboxylic acids.
Aceton will gives formic acid, acetic acid and carbonic acid!

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

CodeMason
October 27th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Phorone will apparently peroxidize to an explosive with a velocity of 9000m/s.

------------------
Visit my website (in development): http://codemason.cjb.net

PHILOU Zrealone
March 13th, 2002, 11:30 AM
9000m/s from what source?