View Full Version : Condone Providone?

sd1904
August 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
It is the only iodine seen around these parts. (San Diego) So the question is .... Is providone able to produce iodine crystals. Or is it possible to condence down to a % that it will be?

megalomania
August 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM
I believe there used to be a procedure floating around on the Hive about doing this, but since their demise I can't direct you there.

The product is called povidone by the way, or more precisely povidone-iodine. Povidone is actually an organic polymer used to disperse other chemicals. The iodine is bound to the povione, which is in turn dissolved in alcohol or other compounds depending on the manufacturer.

I would suggest you research various reactions of iodine to see what kinds of reactions you might be able to do with the compound. You should try bromine and chlorine too since they have very similar reactivity in many ways.

Just off the top of my head I would say the povidone-iodine may react with some compound to form a salt you can isolate and further process for elemental iodine.

lacrimachemist
August 27th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I believe it may be possible to collect the iodine by sublimation. Maybe by heating, and collecting the iodine on something cold.

c.Tech
August 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Condense it in a metal pipe surrounded by a water jacket constantly pumping water. When the pipe fills up the crystals could be pushed or washed out, then purified.

Purification here (http://www.frogfot.com/synthesis/iodine.html).

megalomania
August 29th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Yes, yes, that's how you collect and purify pure iodine, but the iodine in povidone-iodine is chemically bound in some way. It needs to be reacted to free the iodine; that's what we are after here.

lacrimachemist
August 29th, 2006, 11:09 PM
So, I'm guessing that means that it's not really Iodine, but an Iodine containing molecule.

If that is the case, then maybe find out what else is in the solution, and maybe go from there.