View Full Version : Is KMnO4 good as KClO4?

kababz
August 23rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
In the place Where I come from I have access to Potassium Permangenate [KMnO4] but not to Potassium Perchlorate [KClO4].
But are very strong Oxidants, which release same amounts of Oxygen when heated. Now I know that KMnO4 is a bit more sensetive and stains everything, but the question refears to Pyro uses.

-Will I get same resaults, in terms of powder, light, color, temp. and etc?
-When I use KMnO4 instead of KClO4, should I put same amount of KMnO4 as I whould put KClO4 (70/30 KMnO4/Al for instans)?

Please help!

Skean Dhu
August 23rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Please search!

They are two totally different chemical compounds, thus they will behave in completely different manners when exposed to the same chemicals and stimuli.
-No you will get different results
-you shouldn't use them interchangably find formulae that specify the chemicals you have on hand. This link below that is being spoonfed to you will help some
http://members.shaw.ca/gryphon223/PFP/

If the only things that mattered in pyrotechnic compounds was available oxygen then you could use a nitrate (adjusted for equivolent molar oxygen content of course) in place of any other oxidiser, but it's not that simple.

In closing, UTFSE both the board's, google, yahoo, metacrawler, altavista and whatever other engines you can think of

nbk2000
August 24th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Lets not forget the presence of the Chlorine radical acting as a catalyst for a lot of reactions.

This was madfags crime...thinking that chemistry is a simply matter of 1+1, when it's not.

Zajcek
August 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM
You must calculate the oxygen balance if you use different chemical mixtures and the weight of the replacement chemical needed.

And you can not always replace KMnO4 with KClO4 and opposite.

I agree with NBK2000.

Do not forget that KMnO4 mixtures are usually more unstable than with KClO4,not a rule tough.

And do not forget that some chemicals are not compatible with KMnO4 or KClO4 so you must be careful when replacing one with another.