View Full Version : FileZilla Instructions

tmp
August 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
DOWNLOAD FILEZILLA

1) Type www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla in your browser's address box.
2) Click the green bar that says "Download Filezilla"
3) Click the green "Download" tab for FileZilla 2.2.18
4) Click the file "FileZilla_2_2_18_setup.exe"
5) Click the blue "Download" box on the mirror closest to you.
6) If you're running Internet Explorer, a status bar may appear telling you it blocked
the download. If this happens, click on that bar and click "Download..." from the
popup menu that appears.
7) You should then be prompted if you want to run, save, or cancel. Click the "Save" button.
If something goes wrong during installation, you can rerun without downloading
again. You will prompted as to where to save the download. I recommend C:\,
the root directory on your hard drive as it will be easier to find the file.

INSTALL FILEZILLA

1) Click the "start" button, bottom-left corner of your screen.
2) Click "Run..." from the menu that appears.
3) Click the "Browse..." button.
4) Browse to the directory where you saved the downloaded file and click
"FileZilla_2_2_18_setup".
5) Click the "Open" button.
6) Click the "OK" button.
7) If you get a warning asking:
"Are you sure you want to run this software ?", click the "Run" button.
8) The license agreement will appear. Click the "I Agree" button.
9) Under "Choose Components" click the "Next" button.
10) Under "Choose Install Location" click the "Next" button.
11) Under "Choose Start Menu Folder" click the "Next" button.
12) Under "General settings" click the "Install" button.

RUN FILEZILLA

Connect to the FTP

1) Start FileZilla by whatever method is most comfortable to you.
2) I recommend maximizing the program window for an easier view of the program.
3) There are 4 boxes at the top for the connection information.
4) Enter "ftp://imgtf.no-ip.org" into the address box.
5) Enter your USERNAME and PASSWORD in the appropiate boxes.
6) For the port box enter either 21 or 80.
7) Click on the "Quickconnect" button.
8) In the status window immediately below a series of messages will appear.
The last one should read "Directory listing successful".
9) If the message "Unable to retrieve directory listing" appears there are some
steps that can be taken to reconnect.
9.1) Close FileZilla and restart.
9.2) Try a different port. If 21 doesn't work then use 80, or 21 if 80 doesn't work.
9.3) Sometimes passive mode is necessary to connect.
9.3.1) From the menu bar on top Click "Edit".
9.3.2) From the pulldown menu click "Settings...".
9.3.3) Under the "Connection" tree click "Firewall settings".
9.3.4) Click the checkbox for "Passive Mode".
9.3.5) Click the "OK" button.
9.4) Click the "Quickconnect" button.
9.5) Sometimes you have to try a combination of ports with or without Passive Mode to
properly connect.

Transfers

1) There are 2 windows below the status window:
1.1) On left is "Local Site:". This is YOUR computer and where you will upload from or
download to. It shows your directory structure, current directory in the box and a list
of subdirectories and files.
1.2) On right is "Remote Site:". This is the FTP and where you will upload to or download
from. Like the "Local Site:" it shows the current directory and a list of subdirectories
and files.
2) To upload a file to the FTP, scroll down the file list in the "Local Site:" to the file.
Place the mouse pointer on the file and RIGHT click. From the popup menu click on
"Upload".
3) To download a file to YOUR computer, scroll down the file list in the "Remote Site:"
to the file. Place the mouse pointer on the file and RIGHT click. From the popup menu
click on "Download".
4) In either case, the status of the transfer will be indicated in the bottom window
with a time indicator and a progress bar.
5) A note on directories in the "Remote Site:".
5.1) To go to the file list in a subdirectory on the FTP, double-click that subdirectory.
5.2) To back out of a subdirectory, scroll to the top of the file list and double-click the subdirectory that has no name but with 3 dots "..." appearing next to it.
6) When you're done click "File" on the top menu bar, then click "Exit" from the
pulldown menu.

Credit for these instructions goes to one of my fellow ftp administrators and associate.

vod8750
November 22nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
What username and password do you have to use? Is there a special one or do you have to set one up yourself? If so where do you do it?

sbovisjb1
November 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM
It is a user name and password given to you by the grace of tmp.

hydra
April 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Filezilla has a lot going for it compared to, say, WS_FTP-lite... :D

But it's been showing some odd quirks too. I have some questions for the Filezilla experts....maybe you can help me make it less irritating/frustrating, and more efficient to use...

(fyi, win2K, 28k dialup, FZ version 2.2.31, set to 2k bw-limit, leaving 1k/sec for command-channel and getting email etc; and I've been hooked to tmp's server while learning FZ)

1) Which mode requires the least continual handshaking? Active or Passive?

I've googled "passive mode", and found good descriptions of the difference between active and passive, as far as how they use different ports; but nobody ever seems to get into WHY one would choose one over the other.

On dialup, the constant handshaking, including that for constantly switching modes, takes a noticeable amount of time. Since it happens for virtually every action I take, it adds up rapidly. For instance, to drill down several levels in the UPloads directory, it takes almost 10 seconds of handshaking total, over dialup. Since that's an action that one does over and over while searching for something; it'd be VERY nice to know how to set up FZ to minimize it.

2) FZ keeps losing the connection. The most common message in the log is:

421 No-transfer-time exceeded. Closing control connection.
Disconnected from server

I have the 'keep alive' on, and have tried settings from 60sec down to the minimum 15sec. Doesn't seem to make much difference. I do see the 'fake' commands going by on the log, and the ftp responding to them properly. But still, just about ever minute or two, I get the disconnect.

The weird thing is, there virtually always IS a transfer going on when it says "no transfer timeout" !

I've been through the settings menu pretty thoroughly; and I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas on fixing these repetitive disconnects?

3) Every time the above happens (disconnect), FZ blanks the remote-directory pane! I have NO idea why the programmer thought this was a good idea... :D

I could still be usefully scrolling and looking for a file while FZ was reestablishing the connection...but with the listing blanked, all I can do is sit and wait.

And of course, this is happening every minute or so; because of the disconnects...and each disconnect takes 5-10 seconds to 'fix', before it displays the directory again....and when it finally does, it has lost my position in the directory-scroll....argghh! :D

Any way to shut this annoying behaviour OFF ??

Any way to set FZ so that when it repaints the listing, it positions itself where I was ??

4) When I click the top 'folder' in a sub-folder, to go back up a level, it puts me at top of listing; instead of where I WAS. This is SO irritating. Any way to set FZ so it returns me to the position in the listing where I was when I clicked the subfolder that I just backed out of?

5) And when I click another sub-folder, it paints that listing with the scroll positioned halfway down, instead of at the beginning/top!

Is this a setting? Or is something wrong with my copy of FZ ? Or is this bizarre behaviour actually by design??

6) In the queue pane at the bottom; it seems like every time I glance down at it, FZ has moved the scroll so that I'm looking at some files partway down the list...instead of the one at the top, with the progress-bar, that's currently downloading. So to check the progress, I have to constantly reposition the queue-scroll. Anyone know why it's doing this?

7) Changing 'priority': The program's "help" does describe how the type of "arrow" in the queue-pane indicates whether a file is 'low' or 'high' priority, but it doesn't say a damn thing about how the priority got set to high or low in the first place, and worse, it doesn't even mention how to CHANGE the priority....arghh... Does anyone know?

FZ could be a very cool program, with some of the irritation-factors worked out of it. If anyone has encountered any of these oddities, and has figured out how to fix them, I'd be very grateful to see the fixes posted. As a program that gets run basically all day every day, it's well worth the effort to me to optimize the setup/operation.

thanks!