View Full Version : Pure Ammonium Nitrate

Raffikki
August 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi

I have seen there is a lot of ways to make ANFO but i dont know how to get ammonium nitrate in its purest form.I use fertilizer that has loads of crap in it.

Can anyone help?

festergrump
August 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Sure, check out this link:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/search.php

Raffikki
August 28th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Sure, check out this link:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/search.php

ha ha
I Guess thats why its the water cooler:D

nbk2000
August 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Watercooler or not, stupidity and laziness earns a ban. :)

Raffikki
August 29th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Ok I searched and found that you can dissolve it in Methanol and put in a freezer and the crystals will form at the bottom.I dont have that much methanol so I used water which seemed to work.Its long white crystals,the only thing I cant get is how to test it without being blown up?

nbk2000
August 29th, 2006, 08:02 PM
AN is non-explosive in the tiny quantities you'd use for physical properties tests, like melting point or solubility.

Really...how hard is it to heat a few crystals in a spoon?

Speaking of spoons, I'll even give you a bit of spoonfeeding:

Download the "Chemistry like grandpa used to do" PDF file (in the Rapishare links topic) and you'll find your answers within. :)

megalomania
August 31st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Dosen't everybody have a mel-temp apparatus, or is that just me?

Alexires
September 1st, 2006, 04:29 AM
Sorry Mega, I think its just you. The majority of us probably use a spoon and a thermometer.

c.Tech
September 1st, 2006, 04:57 AM
mel-temp apparatus... sounds expensive.

I don’t think it would be easy to get without putting yourself under the spotlight for drug manufacture.

nbk2000
September 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM
A clear plastic stirrer straw and a test tube of mineral oil is adequate for a lot of tests.

megalomania
September 1st, 2006, 09:40 AM
What kind of average street level drug cook even bothers to run analytical tests on his product, let alone a melting point?

I gather just about every college campus in the world must use Meltemps in the lab :)

http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/chem211lab/Orgo_Lab_Manual/Appendix/Instruments/MeltingPoint/melting_point.html

Raffikki
September 2nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanx I have made some AN.This might be a stupid question but what is the minimum amount of AP I can use to detonate AN?and what is the minimum amount of AN you can use?

festergrump
September 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
This might be a stupid question...
This leads me to believe it is, or rather YOU think it is, as much as beginning a sentence with "You're not gonna believe this, but..." or "You might think I'm lying, but..." are telltale signs of what's to come next... Why even ask, then, if the questions seem stupid even to you? :confused:

Truth is, you just don't like the idea of searching, do you? And even after you get on another member's case for not searching in another thread! :mad:

These questions and more are answered here within the pages of RS, I solemnly promise you.

When prompted to search on your own earlier in this thread of yours you managed to come up with the info you needed that AN is soluble and that it can be recrystalized without the impurities using this simple information you found. What else did you learn along the way, I wonder? Lot's more, I am sure.

What can you come up with if you search out the answers to these new questions you have? Likely a lot more information than if the answers to your specific questions are given directly to you. That's the great thing about researching things for yourself...

1) You usually come out with alot more information than what you set out to retrieve from a spoonfeeding.
2) You don't end up pissing off members here who have answered the same questions thousands of times over.
3) You avoid landing in the belly of the Beast in a heap of partially chewed chunks, thus ending your studies here forever.

What better way can I explain this to you to make you understand?

Very few get banned from RS for posts made in the Water Cooler, but it does happen, though rarely (ie: "expect the unexpected";) ).

Watercooler or not, stupidity and laziness earns a ban. :)
I suddenly get the mental image of Bricktop from the movie Snatch and a specific quote comes to mind: "You are on very thin ice, my pedigree chums, and I shall be under it when it breaks!".

Alexires
September 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Bravo festergrump! You posted just before me, hence I don't need to waste my time answering Raffikki's spoonfeed request. A baboon indeed!

Mega, only the imaginary kind care that much for their drug fucked minions.

In the words of the man that holds the record here for a cook, "Thermometers are for pussies"

...Uh huh. I'm glad for his sakes that this man doesn't engage in our hobby....

Raffikki
September 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM
If AP is mixed with ammonium nitrate, it can be used as an effective booster charge. The ratio usually used is about 3:1 AP to ammonium nitrate. This mixture is to be confined and detonated with a blasting cap (cool part is, the cap can be AP as well). This booster charge is powerful enough to detonate significant amounts of ANFO. Usually dynamite or TNT is used to detonate ANFO, but this booster is much easier to get by, and works. If a more powerful cap is used, then the ratio of AP to AN can near 1:1, as this will be more powerful, but more difficult to detonate.

I am quite a Baboon:D

sanguine raptor
September 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
How pure is the ammonium nitrate in instant ice packs?

++++++++++++

Pure enough for anything you'd use it for. NBK