View Full Version : Private forum and the downfall of Rapidshare links.

c.Tech
August 31st, 2006, 07:43 AM
As the forum is now private I’ve been worrying about the Rapidshare links and how long they will still stay valid.

Even when the forum was public some files exceed the 30-day no download limit and got deleted. Now we will have substantially less people signing up to the forum to download the files.

There are a few things we can do:

Nothing – let the files get deleted one by one. Then the files will need to constantly re-uploaded clogging the forum with old useless posts.

Let the mods repair the previous posts – every time a file is found to be deleted in a old post get the mods to repair that post, putting a new link in.

Assign download teams – many users can be elected, each given a group of rapid share links they need to keep active. I am offering to be one of them.

Either way we must come to some decision.

nbk2000
August 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM
Let the mods repair the previous posts – every time a file is found to be deleted in a old post get the mods to repair that post, putting a new link in.

In the army, the guy who complained about something was the one the sargent would assign to take care of it.

Guess what you just volunteered for. :D

Something I've wondered about the 30 day limit was, did it require a completed download to reset the clock, or would someone just starting a download and immediately canceling it be sufficient to extend the time again?

Because if it's a completed download, that'd be a major hassle. If it's just a started download, then I'm sure it'd be easy enough to run through the links every 3 weeks.

Other options include a paid Rapidshare account to host the files on, or posting the links in boards like projectw and rapidshared, where others would do the needed downloading to keep the files alive. :)

c.Tech
August 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
In the army, the guy who complained about something was the one the sargent would assign to take care of it.

Guess what you just volunteered for. :D
I knew that the 2nd choice wouldn’t be an option, you, mega and jack are probably busy enough. I have more time on my hands that can be used to keep the files active.

Something I've wondered about the 30 day limit was, did it require a completed download to reset the clock, or would someone just starting a download and immediately canceling it be sufficient to extend the time again?

Because if it's a completed download, that'd be a major hassle. If it's just a started download, then I'm sure it'd be easy enough to run through the links every 3 weeks.

It doesn’t really matter, I have the bandwidth just not the time, this lets me be able to do most. Soon I will do a 30 day test to see if they need to be fully downloaded.

You will need to find more people to help me keep them alive.

If you prepare a list of the links I will help keep them alive, I have already started to collect my own personal library/backup for personal use and a possible crash of the forum.

For all members: If anything ever happens to the forum please e-mail me at c.Tech_@hotmail.com EDIT: Note: There is an underscore if you cant see.

Please write it down somewhere.

Hitech_Hillbilly
August 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM
c.Tech,

I'll help out. When you get the list started, PM a section to me, and I'll keep those downloaded.

chemdude1999
August 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM

Today, while uploading some files, I clicked on one of my own links. I then went back to my main RapidShare page to find the file showing a download. All I did was simply click the link to the "Save As" window. I stopped short of commencing the download. I did it again and the file showed two downloads.

Now, I'm not sure if this is sufficient for extending the 30-day period, but it looks promising.

megalomania
August 31st, 2006, 11:01 PM
Perhaps an experiment is in order, yes? Someone, or several someones upload a random file to rapidshare. Do not tell anyone what this file is, just keep it between yourself. Attempt to download the file without actually completing the transfer. Record the time and date of the original upload, and any subsequent download attempts. Attempt to download the file about once a week. If after 30 days the file is still valid, we will have confirmed just the attempt is necessary.

I'll be hearing back from someone in mid October I hope?

Also, The Forum is not private, I am just tinkering with something and left it like that for a few days. Guests can't see the links anyway, so they still need to sign up. Memberships actually increase with the board going private since many leechers and lurkers are now forced to register to view what they want.

c.Tech
September 1st, 2006, 04:46 AM
Memberships actually increase with the board going private since many leechers and lurkers are now forced to register to view what they want.

But over time the forum going private would have actually paid off, less people coming through google would reduce the kewl signup because they wouldn’t be able to find the forum in the first place.

My opinion, make the forum private but only the homepage public, so anybody who finds the forum actually knows what it is.

Guests can't see the links anyway, so they still need to sign up.

But the title of the link would still be in google’s search results causing many leeches to signup and download the file.

I'm going to start that download experiment with Rapidshare now, if anybody is doing this too, name your file a bunch of random numbers and letters so people cant use different Rapidshare search sites to find the file you uploaded.

Sausagemit
September 1st, 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm pretty shure I'm allready testing this out by accident.

On the 27th of last month I uploaded a file to rapidshare with the intent of it only being downloaded once, and it has only been downloaded once by the intended recipient of that file on the 27th of August. And to make it even more perfect the name of the file is "VTS_01_0.VOB".

So yes, I just volunteered by accident.

nbk2000
September 1st, 2006, 06:31 AM
Now the test is to start the transfer of VTS_01, and stop it almost as soon as it has started.

Then, don't use the URL for that file for 3 weeks.

Check after three weeks to see if it's still there. If so, then completing a download isn't necessary for the file to stay online. :)

Dank$taVegas
September 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
I was going to bring this up sooner, but haven't mentioned it yet.
Since someone has brought it up here I go..... as of a few weeks ago Rapid Share has added a "Collectors Section" for non premium members. This keeps track of all your uploads,

1)# of Downloads each file receives
2)Last Download Date of each file
3)Links are stored in on easy to find place
4)You collect points for downloads towards a "Premium Account" (I'm well on my way there:D )
5)Offers easy kills for links

So at a glance I can check all my recent uploads in one place, and at a glance I can Keep the links alive by re-downloading the files that have reached their 30 day limit and that are about to be deleted.

It's free to sign up for this service, and in time (10,000 points) you are granted a premium account for all your trouble. There is no need to keep track of your links for they are all compiled in one handy location. So I will be able to keep track of all my recent uploads (From the post with Smuggling Made Easy By Michael Connor) and keep them alive with little trouble at all.

I suggest anyone who is uploading a lot to Rapid Share, to get them self an account (Free) and keep track of their own uploads.

The only bad thing I can see about this service is, if people start complaining about your uploads being copy right, you might get banned from there. So far I haven't had any trouble with this.

c.Tech
September 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a good idea Dank$ta but most people probably wont do this or have no need to do this, others wont even take notice.

We still need to keep them alive, that’s why I opened this thread.

Dank$taVegas
September 1st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I don't see why people would not do this.....

If your spending the time uploading to Rapid Share, for all of 2 minutes it takes to create a "Collectors Account", You are able to monitor your uploads and you get 5 points per 1Meg file downloaded towards a Premium Account.

So far monitoring my recent uploads which are contained on my Collectors section, they are all still active, and all have been downloaded many times a day. All of them (with the exception of 5 files) have been downloaded yesterday by people.

In about the 3 weeks I have been using the Collectors Section, I have generated 5,000 points towards my "FREE PREMIUM Rapid Share Account"

I have also checked a few of my 1st posted links, and the ones I have checked are all still working, some of them with well over 100 + downloads. But it doesn't say when the last download time was…..

The task of going through each link and re-downloading every one, seems like a very time consuming job to say the least, and to be doing this every 3 weeks means a full time job. As there are already 7 page of links contained in the "Lots of Rapid Share Links" Sticky.

In the long run, it might be easier for 1 or MORE (4 people) people who will be staying around the forums for a long time to come, to download every link (working together) that is posted my people, and create their own collectors section on Rapid Share and just monitor their files there, and keep the links alive. This may seem like a lot of work, re-uploading files to Rapid Share, but you will be able to tell at a glance which files need to be downloaded by when…. before they get deleted, as rapid share provides the last download date for each file. And will cut back on the amount of downloads need to keep files alive.

Also you will be given free premium accounts for your troubles, 10,000 points you get a new free account, so they could be spread around the site to worthy members ONLY, and they could also be used to upload files with which will not get deleted with the 30 day rule.

I am currently working on uploading all my previous posts to my collectors section, Since I'm currently at my sisters place, using High Speed (God I hate dial up) it is going rather fast. And I have most of my first 8 posts re-uploaded to my collectors section. (Which I will Re-Post or Maybe we could start a new sticky thread where only the people monitoring the Collectors section of rapid share can post links that are monitored and kept active. Other can post in the current sticky, and the people who monitor the links will download and re-upload to their collectors section, and post links in the monitored section which could be called "The Rogue Science Library" where you can download books that are kept active.)

If there is any one 2-3 people interested in helping me maintain a library for the forums here, and if it is doable (NBK or another mod can set up a post "Rogue Science Library" where only the people monitoring the links can post, we could set up a nice well rounded Library for members here, and we could monitor the links and keep them alive.

If people are interested in keeping rapid share links alive using the "Collectors Section" of Rapid Share, and are willing to re-upload some of peoples previous posts, step up and we will work together to maintain a current and up-to-date links section on the forums here. If we had 2-3 dedicated people working with the Rapid Share collectors Section, we could monitor and keep active thousands of links between a few dedicated people with little trouble at all.

And if your willing to go through hundreds of links every 3 weeks, you should have no problem re-uploading each file/link people post, to a collectors account, where you will only have to monitor it and re-download each link as needed.

Much Less work in the long run if you ask me since you don't have to download every file every 3 weeks, only the ones that need to be.

I'll be one of the 1st to volunteer for this job since I have already started a Collectors Section, but I can't handle all this work by myself, and would need others to lend a hand, 2-3 others would be nice. Currently I'm working on my old uploaded links. And will begin working on other peoples posts after all my old links have been added to my collectors section.

Fell free to jump in, and help out! It's all about the spreading of information & leaning, which is why most of us are here I believe, and this way we can be sure to keep these links active for a long time to come.

****Edit****
P.S
Before you start a Collectors Account for the above, we should talk it out over here & through a PM and work out who's downloading what etc, before. We only need a few people to maintain these links, since it will just get confusing if too many people are involved and posting.

c.Tech
September 1st, 2006, 09:24 PM
Good idea Dank$ta, I'll be the 2nd volunteer.

I've got about 10 gig of broadband downloads that are never used so I can get lots of the files downloaded for the library.

Also I have been talking to Hitech_Hillbilly through PM and he seems like he would help out.

When you get a premium account you will need to keep getting points to keep it alive, or paying.

Would Rapidshare accept money orders because I want to keep my identity secret?

EDIT: New thought, if somebody has a Collectors Section they could test to see if the 30 day limit need to be broken with a full download, without the wait.

Check one of your files too see how long since its been downloaded, start downloading it but then cancel within seconds of the download, now re-check the days since last download (hopefully it says 0).

Dank$taVegas
September 2nd, 2006, 01:26 PM
Good idea Dank$ta, I'll be the 2nd volunteer.
Awesome, I'll send you a PM and we can talk some more about it there.

About this idea for a forum Library "Rogue Science Library", I have been thinking it might be a nice touch to do what some members over at SM have done with their post, and link up the the books cover to the post of each link. Would give the library a nice clean look to it, and give downloaders a better Idea of what it was they were downloading. Although it might be a little time consuming to do this, and maybe not worth the effort, if we have hundreds of links; and it will also kill people with slow connections to load up all the covers.

When you get a premium account you will need to keep getting points to keep it alive, or paying.
The amount of people who are downloading these files, will generate enough points to keep the accounts we get active (I think & hope). If every file we have here on the site is linked up to a Correctors Section of Rapid Share, We would generate lots of points towards these premium accounts and can spread them around to some forum members. If my plan dosen't work, then we could make the accounts a shared leaching tool for select forum members.... But some places have already tried this, and it dosen't seem to work too well.... Some one always ends up changing the password and stealing the account.

So we will just have to play it by ear and see what happens in reguards with the free accounts we generate.

Now the test is to start the transfer of VTS_01, and stop it almost as soon as it has started.
I have also uploaded a test file I started the download, and stopped it a few seconds into the download, and will report back with my findings as well in 1 month. (When I refreshed my page, it says the file has been downloaded 1 time.

c.Tech
September 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Some one always ends up changing the password and stealing the account.
That’s why it should only be controlled by trusted people, i.e. mods. There are probably other people apart from mods that can be trusted too.

Maybe email Rapidshare asking them to make sure your password is never changed, but that would be a dead give away that your doing what they don’t want you too and they give warning on it.
Warning: It is NOT allowed to create accounts and spread them in the public. If we see that an account is used by many people, we will close it without warning.
I don’t think it’s worth the risk. Even with careful notification of who is using the account when there could still be slip-ups causing all the files to get deleted.
Also it would be extremely suspicious many IP’s logging in the account from around the world.

I have also uploaded a test file I started the download, and stopped it a few seconds into the download, and will report back with my findings as well in 1 month. (When I refreshed my page, it says the file has been downloaded 1 time.
I did the same test with the same results. If it counts as a full download there is no need to check it in 30 days.

Although this causes a different problem. When the download is stopped and you try to open another it says your IP is already downloading a file. I don’t know how long this would take to go away but it can simply be overcome by changing your IP in command prompt, that’s how I get around download limits.

BTW, if you get a premium account make sure you are and will continue to get more than enough points coming in to support the account. Because if in 30 days you don’t have enough, bye bye account :(.

EDIT: If you got a premium account and the files from your collectors account moved to the premium (I'm assuming that’s what happens) would they all get deleted if the account closes?

Dank$taVegas
September 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe email Rapidshare asking them to make sure your password is never changed, but that would be a dead give away that your doing what they don’t want you too and they give warning on it.
It's best to just keep it between the site here, and not involve Rapid Share, so as not to draw attention to what we do.

Also it would be extremely suspicious many IP’s logging in the account from around the world.
I doubt they really check accounts to monitor who logs in... I couldn't even guess how many people use Rapid Share but it's a lot.

I haven't had a chance to read all the fine print on the Rapid Share page, but I will take a look into it when I get back from my work tour which starts friday, I will be gone for at least 3 weeks +. I won't have any free time from no till then to do this, and the site library will have to wait (at least on my part) till my tour is over and I have time to kick back and bask at home.

If others want to start it, then I can E-mail a list of what I have already uploaded as a referance (some 300+ files). I'll try to check back later tonight, and tomorrow if I have any time.

Crypticglitch
September 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
using paypal for anything is not a good idea they are worthless and will turn you in for anything

MinorFunctionary
October 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Anything that I had to contribute, has already been posted by others. I have only dial up here and my system is almost as antiquated as I, but if I can be of assistance in keeping these links alive, let me know. I am more than happy to help in this worthwile project... I note that a lot of links have gone down as of this writing