View Full Version : Tetrahydrofuran via dehydration of 1,4-butanediol

immortal02
September 7th, 2006, 02:59 PM
i have been working on project related to Tetrahydrofuran,

i came across various manufacturing routes through encyclopedias, patents and books.........as in i found most simple process for manufacturing THF by dehydration of 1,4-butanediol though BDO is difficult to obtain.........

i got an idea through one of the recent patents that dehydration of BDo and subsequent cyclization in presence of Aluminium Oxide as a catalyst gives THF with high percentage yield and almost 100% conversion along with high selectivity.

Thermodynamic conditions are around 150 degree C and pressure approx 1 bar.

i have quite a few doubts regarding its reaction mechanism.......and catalysts activity and deactivation.........

can anyone please give me some guidance for above issues and certain other similar issues.........

Cobalt.45
September 8th, 2006, 02:51 AM
can anyone please give me some guidance for above issues and certain other similar issues.........

I suspect your gonna get some guidance, alright. I'll go now, I don't want to get any on me.

c.Tech
September 8th, 2006, 03:01 AM
INGSOC NEWSPEAK DICTIONARY;

*Definition*

SPOONFEEDING

A demand (sometimes phrased as a request) for highly detailed procedures and current sources of materials, for a task or process that could otherwise be found if the user could be bothered to UTFSE, rather than asking long-time members to spoonfeed the information to the zero-post n00b like a coddled infant.

It's a bannable offence here

nbk2000
September 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
First of all, mankind has been chasing after the illusionary goal of immortality since the beginning of time, and has yet to achieve it.

So immortal is dead. :)

Then there's the decided lack of grammar skills, indicating a lazy and disorganized mind, incapable of understanding any knowledge that may be imparted to it by the generousity of the existing membership.

So the question is moot.

And as for making THF by breaking down 1,4-Butanediol...:rolleyes:

Talks about doing things bass-ackwards!

THF is very common in PVC glues, in large quantities. 1,4-B, on the otherhand, is very difficult to find (in the US) because of it's use in GHB manufacture or substitution.

There are people who've figured out how to make 1,4-B from THF, but why the fuck would you want to destroy it to make a common solvent? :confused:

Anyways, banned for i/I, Spoonfeeding, and general stupidity. :p

megalomania
September 8th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Talk about doing that the hard way... Dosn't anyone read my stuff?
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/chemistry-related/3258-theory-otc-tetrahydrofuran-thf-synthesis.html?highlight=tetrahydrofuran