View Full Version : Opening shotgun shells

michaelpops
September 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM
My dad has about 24 lead shotgun shells in the basement and is thinking of throwing them out since you can't hunt with lead shot anymore. I'm thinking of opening them and taking the gun powder to experiment with. The only thing that worries me is how I'll be able to open up the shells without creating a spark or any other ways that could hurt me.
Is there any safe way to open them?
Thanks,
Mike

ShadowMyGeekSpace
September 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
A razor blade works very well.

michaelpops
September 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
But when it cuts through the plastic wouldn't there be a good chance that it would come in contact with the pellets thus causing friction thus sparking? Or am I wrong and over protective?

nbk2000
September 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Oh Christ...cut the end off where it's crimped and dump everything out. :rolleyes:

It's not going to blow up in your hands.

megalomania
September 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Remove the lead shot before you start cutting and the greatest danger is eliminated. Just pry open the top of the shell and dump the shot into a container. If you cut your shell in the right place, you can slice through the paper cap that seperates the powder and shot, thus there are no worries about friction igniting the powder. Depending on the shell, the cap could be 1/4 inch thick. That is more than enough room for a margin of error when cutting. Once you find where the cap is once, as long as the shells are all the same type, it will be in that same spot. Use a hacksaw or razor blade to cut through half way, and then crack it open.

Lead does not spark IIRC.

nbk2000
September 10th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I always just cut it just above the brass base.

That would get it just above the powder charge, in the base of the plastic shot wad, allowing me to keep the pellets neatly contained in the shell, and the powder readily pourable. :)

And lead is non-sparking.