View Full Version : Candy Bar "Bomb"

w22shadow
September 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I was unable to find any reference to this (http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3240/chocoloategrenadecp5.jpg) using the search engine and I thought it might get a few laughs. There is a larger version of this picture here (http://www.mi5.gov.uk/files/images/exploding_choc_large.jpg).

Interestingly, I found a scaled-down version of this picture in a B.B.C. article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4304192.stm) through Google. :p

syfilius
September 16th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Why put a picture like this on a news like that ???

nbk2000
September 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
A WW2 boobytrap created by the Nazis to be left behind and picked up by unwary GI's.

If it was being shown in the context of a terrorist weapon, it's massive misdirection and ignorance.

Hirudinea
September 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Why would an American G.I. pick up a crappy German chocolate bar? Now if it was a Hershey...

Anyway this reminds me of another sabotague device I saw somewhere (I wish I could remember where), it was an explosive disguised to look like a piece of coal, a resistance member would sneek it into the coal box of a train.

When the bomb was shoveled into the firebox of the train, the "coal" would explode rupturing the boiler and disabling the train (or that was the idea anyway.)

Actually not a bad idea, if it worked.

Blow-UpDoll
September 17th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Seven seconds to detonation time? Seems like plenty of time to see what it is and get rid of it, no? The chocolate part does look delicious though.

akinrog
September 17th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Why would an American G.I. pick up a crappy German chocolate bar? Now if it was a Hershey...

Assume that you are in the war and all you eat is thin soup or tasteless biscuits or canned food. What will you do when you see a tasty looking chocolate bar? :D

Ropik
September 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
The only thing that is confusing me is why these things had the seven second delay. Weren't they intended like a mean of smuggling explosive through checkpoints, rather than boobytraps? Unsuspecting chocolate breaker would have more than enough time to realize that there is something funny about a chocolate which has a canvas strip inside and throw it away.

sbovisjb1
September 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Actually Germany makes some of the best chocolate in the world. Along with Switzerland and Austria. When my mom brought me some, I was in heaven, it was so creamy and silky and WAY BETTER than any hershey.

Hirudinea
September 17th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Actually Germany makes some of the best chocolate in the world. Along with Switzerland and Austria. When my mom brought me some, I was in heaven, it was so creamy and silky and WAY BETTER than any hershey.

Agreed, in peacetime, but during the war when the Germans were putting sawdust in their bread and burnt beats in their coffee the quality of Chocolate droped markedly, hell after the war a G.I. could buy a small castle on the Rhine for a Hershey bar and a pack of smokes! :D

nbk2000
September 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Other sources I've read said that there was no delay, hence boobytrap.

What good would it do to have such a small bomb as a sabotage device if you only had seven seconds to get away from the scene? You'd get 50 feet before the explosion got every enemy soldier in the area on your ass. Not very good for continued resistance.

Ropik
September 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that was bugging me. It was certainly too small to have a decent amount of explosive in it, so the boobytrap usage is the only one which makes sense.

cutefix
September 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Indeed Europe had lots of good chocolates if compared to America.But the main difference lies with the longer processing time which greatly affects the flavor.

nbk2000
September 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM
There are plenty of fine chocalate makers in America too, equal to anything in europe, not just the mass-produced Hersey's.

megalomania
September 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Chocolate is a matter of ingredients and preparation, not geography. The rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. I dislike Hershey’s chocolate, or rather I should say I will not buy it when I can get much better for a little bit more. I have eaten some very delicious Austrian chocolate, and some Belgian truffles. I usually get Dove chocolate since it tastes so much better than anything else at the store.

I consider my favorite food to be chocolate covered almonds, a rather hard to come by commodity in the retail stores. My favorite chocolate is from a small shop on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. At $16 a pound, and several states away, it is not something I get all the time, but sometimes you feel like steak instead of hamburger.

But I digress… You don’t have to be a starving GI to pick up a strange candy bar and eat it. I am well fed and I would chomp a free candy bar down in a heart beat (as long as the wrapping was intact), of course I love chocolate…

nbk2000
September 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM
And knowing this is common with most people, is why it's part of the Random Terror section of my PDF.

Everyone loves candy. And who'd pass up eating a sealed candy-bar they found on the bust? ;)

(Actually, I meant 'bus', but the typo is even more true! :D)

c.Tech
September 20th, 2006, 02:30 AM
But if you were a starving GI you probably wouldn’t think twice about shoving it down your hole.

You would probably just bite right into it rather than breaking off the row, hitting the metal and warning you that something isn’t right.

teshilo
September 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
This "bomb" described in FM 5-31 "Boobytraps" not detailed, only image and few words ...In her design used friction igniter...More modern idea use flattened electric blasting cap and pressure sensor...

megalomania
September 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Chocolate sauce licked off naked titties, now there is a boobie trap :D