View Full Version : Best Gen Chem. Prof Ever! UNL Prof Arrested Over Distributing Explosives

megalomania
September 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
MEREDITH GRUNKE / Daily Nebraskan
September 12, 2006

While U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton prepared to speak at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on Friday, an associate chemistry professor offered homemade explosives to his students.

John Belot Jr., an associate chemistry professor at UNL, was arrested Monday evening at home and transported to the Lancaster County Jail after he allegedly allowed students to take the explosive devices from his General Chemistry II class Friday morning.

Captain Carl Oestmann of University Police said Belot was charged with possession of a destructive device and unlawful sell of explosives, both of which are Class IV felonies. He also was charged with storing explosives in violation of safety regulations, a misdemeanor.

Oestmann explained that "giving away" is covered under the unlawful sell of explosives statute.
Before the arrest, Belot was suspended from the university with pay.

Chancellor Harvey Perlman said he was concerned after hearing about the situation, especially since it put people at risk of bodily harm and occurred on a day when a major guest, Bolton, was scheduled to visit campus. "It's clearly not the kind of thing, at least with the information I currently have, you want to have going on at the university," Perlman said. Bolton spoke as part of the E.N. Thompson Forum on World Issues at the Lied Center for Performing Arts on Friday afternoon.

Kelly Bartling, a spokeswoman for the Office of University Communications, said the distribution of the explosives and Bolton's visit were only a coincidence, but the ambassador's security officers were notified of the situation.
Bartling said she didn't believe the situation actually affected Bolton's security during the visit.

After the chemistry class ended Friday, some students turned a number of the devices in to University Police, which is now investigating the incident. Alison Sandoval, a sophomore secondary education major and a student in Belot's class, said Belot was "acting like his normal self" in class Friday.

"Personally, the first day I met him the impression I got was, 'This guy is crazy,' " Sandoval said. "He's just a very high-strung guy . . . just all over the place." She said Belot kept getting off topic during his lecture on solutions and talked about some explosives that his student assistant made during the summer. The assistant obtained the necessary supplies using Belot's name, she said. Sandoval said Belot said that he had detonated one of the devices already, and that the explosive produced a small mushroom cloud, "like mini H-bombs."

Belot sent a student to his office to retrieve a paper bag that contained the explosives, she said.
When the student came back with the bag, Sandoval noticed a corrosive liquid was leaking from one of the corners of the bag. "I saw that, and I was like, '… are you serious?'" she said.

Belot dismissed class early, Sandoval said, and she left too quickly to see if any students took the devices with them. Oestmann said eight of the explosives have been recovered so far and are now in the possession of the Lincoln Fire Department. Oestmann wouldn't quantify how many of the devices could still be in the possession of students. But in an e-mail sent to students in Belot's class, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Juan Franco said he believed students took nine of the devices. Bartling said the explosives are cylinders three to four inches long and one inch in diameter. Some of them are painted silver and red.

"The materials are volatile and dangerous, and they could cause severe bodily injury," Bartling said. "And with any sort of homemade explosive like that, you just don't know when it might explode."
Oestmann said the explosives are powerful enough to destroy a hand or an arm.
And because they are homemade and were kept on campus, Oestmann and Bartling said the devices were completely illegal. Neither would comment on whether Belot would face prosecution.

Belot could not be reached for comment, and chemistry department Chairman Patrick Dussault was out of town Monday.
Bartling said UNL administrators and the police are still trying to figure out what exactly happened during the class, and she wouldn't speculate on Belot's behavior or motivation for giving the explosives to students. Administrators also are looking into whether the chemistry department has more explosives on hand, she said.
Perlman said to his knowledge, this situation has not happened before at UNL.

"I don't think one has to do much to alert people that this is not the kind of behavior that is expected of the university," he said, adding that he didn't yet know the full facts of the situation.
Franco and Perlman both said they were proud of the students who already returned some of the explosives, and they asked the remainder to follow suit.

Students who turn the devices over to the university will not be subject to disciplinary action, Franco said.
Oestmann said he was confident the rest of the explosives would be turned over to police sometime today.
"It's just not a safe situation," Bartling said. "Nobody will get in trouble or anything, we just need to have it back."

Anyone who has information about the missing devices should contact University Police at (402) 472-3555.

megalomania
September 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
If a university chemistry professor can't be trusted with explosives, who exactly can we trust? Why fedgov of course... I don't know what to make of this one. One must digest the fedgov newspeak propaganda and read between the lines. Since fedgov is in the habit of calling anything a DANGEROUS EXPLOSIVE DEVICE!!!!! even if it is just a plastic water bottle with a little extra air pressure, they can't be trusted. Fedgov is like the boy who cried wolf, when the real thing is about no one can tell. This is how fedgov likes it of course. They want all the sheeple to believe every possible weapon is always the most dangerous device of godless terrorism imaginable, and children will be slaughtered by the billions unless fedgov saves the day.

The devices were 3 to 4 inch long cylinders, leaky cylinders. Call my a cynic, but, no, not even fedgov would sink that low, or would they? Yes they would. These cylinders would not possibly, maybe, perhaps, sorta be batteries would they? This would not be the first time batteries have been called bomb making materials by fedgov gestapo jack booted thugs out to taint the jury pool and secure additional funding. After all, cell phones are terrorist weapons, are they not?

This would have been a harmless incident except this class had too many narcs. Narc fed wannabe Alison Sandoval is already well on her way to being indoctrinated into the gestapo program. She will probably be circulating a petition to ban all those nasty chemicals from chemistry class. After all, what do chemicals have to do with chemistry? They are stinky, and like, totally yucky. Like yeah Kelly, like didn’t you know like journalists have to like quote you like word for like word. Maybe you hoped they would edit your teenglish use of a gratuitous "like" out? Another education major without an education :)

I found a picture of the guy on another news website. I thought for a second it may have been a promo for the new season of 24 since he looks just like Keifer Sutherland.
http://www.ketv.com/news/9827948/detail.html

I can tell you this, this may affect his chances for tenure!

nbk2000
September 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
The only thing I can think of that would fit the description they gave that would constitute such an extreme danger would be a small pipe bomb filled with unwashed NG.

But I don't think that's what they have. More likely, it's a small pressure bomb made from PVC pipe and filled with lye water or pool acid.

You'd think that by now every chemistry teacher in the country would know that teaching anything remotely dangerous to the products of the SSIF is dangerous to their continued freedom.

Me, if I was a chemistry teacher, I'd not be teaching anything more dangerous than sugar dissolving in water. If the students ask for anything more interesting, I'd tell 'em:

Tough luck.

Thanks to your parents, political leaders, and mass-media, this is all you've been deemed safe to know.

If you want to learn how to make drugs or explosives, go to the library and learn it on your own, and keeping your mouth shut, before one of the five snitchs that are statistically present in this class rat you out to the police for thought-crime, and before they remove the books for being 'too dangerous'.

Or, you can wait to get hired by the Military-Industrial complex, where they'll teach you everything you'll need to know to make weapons of mass-control for use against your fellow americans.

Now everyone stand up for your 2-minute hate!

Alexires
September 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Note how the "report" said that the devices were "powerful enough to destroy a hand or an arm"?

If pressure "bombs" are lethal, then the "explosive" that he was handing out couldn't be any more than a christmas cracker in a lunch bag stained with last weeks mayonaise from his sandwich.

Fear the corrosive mayonaise and the lethal christmas crackers!

And remember we are (and always have been) at war with Eurasia...

megalomania
September 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
A small pile of gunpowder ignited in the open could produce a mushroom cloud. Remember, he was preaching to his sheeple, and there is no better stylistic way to describe an explosion than to say it makes a mushroom cloud simply because that is the most common frame of reference for a general audience. This is the impression I got when reading his quoted words.

c.Tech
October 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
After all, cell phones are terrorist weapons, are they not?

Oh very much so, if you own more than one mobile it’s off to a cell for you. Evidence: http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/attachments/issues-opinions/806-liquid-explosives-terrorist-plot-uk-foiled-1-hour-ago-stupid.jpg?d=1155557423

If I hold my friends iPod whilst listing to my iRiver get arrested thrown into a jail for planning a terrorist attack to detonate 2 bombs killing approximately 100 people, no problem, I mean its fair isn’t it? Better to be save and sorry, we have to think of our freedom and most of all our children for generations to come. :rolleyes:

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Humor/Images/USSupremeCourt.jpg

Australia is coming soon fellow aussies.

atlas#11
October 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
"The materials are volatile and dangerous, and they could cause severe bodily injury," Bartling said. "And with any sort of homemade explosive like that, you just don't know when it might explode."

I laugh my ass off at this one. Volatile and dangerous? so is nail polish remover and gassoline you fucking pigs... And then it hits you, the people eat it up. Not only do they believe every word, they love it. "OOHH! Something new to be afraid of? OH NO! Beware college professors! They are terrorists in disguise! Don't let your children go to college, they will be trained as terrorists!"

Fortunatly, it is possible to keep your intelligence a secret. Sure, do well in school, that will only help you. But if anyone asks you anything that you wouldn't have learned in school, play dumb. If your friends arn't demanding militant action against the government, then they're not your friends, share nothing with them.

NBK, your quote was misleading. Five statistically placed snitches? It's far more likely that all but five kids in there are snitches. The whole fucking country has turned against intelligence. The few students who are knowledgable of such things and are willing to learn dispite their peers fear of terrorism are constantly shunned by them.

You are an intelligence bearer frodo, to bear a shred of intelligence, is to be alone.

WrathofHan
October 4th, 2006, 04:12 AM
I completely agree that punishment for teaching something is a sin. As long as the teacher does not advocate violence, teaching should not call for punishment. Should martial arts instructors be punished for teaching someone to fight?

Fighting can be considered against the law, but the instructors do not advocate violence. Knowledge is a tool. You can use it for its intended purposes or not. A sharp object is meant to help doctors and chefs, but murderers can use them.

The same is with a piece of knowledge, one can use it to help or hurt others. Just because something can be used for evil does not mean it is only used for evil. Sorry for preaching to the choir.

megalomania
October 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Liberals and knee jerk soccer moms do not use reason during their crusades against evil weapons. The true path to getting your way is to be so stubborn and vociferous about your cause that you adopt an extremist attitude bordering on insane obsession.

If I truly wanted I could shout from the rooftops about how many children are slaughtered by “chef knives” every year. If I had money and supporters I could have commercials on TV, ads in magazines and newspapers, and bill boards crying out MY message. This advertising is what gets the sheeple to buy new jeans and a car they otherwise didn’t know they wanted. With popular support behind me, sooner or later a congressmen or senator will bend his rubber spine my way (or hold out his hand) and draft some legislation of MY choosing. All I have to do is make up lies, or twist ONE incident out of context.

There are millions of knives out there, maybe millions of sex offenders, rapists, and murderers. In sheeple bleatspeak a sex offender is a potential rapist, and a rapist is a potential murderer. It is not a stretch, then, when using propaganda to say they are all murders. Thus we have…

In your town, and in your child’s school a murderer is practicing his skills! Child rapists and would be murders have access to deadly weapons that surround us. They sell these weapons at your local stores! No permit or background check is required. Any man can simply pay cash for these weapons and kill your child within minutes! Any sex offender can have them! A man that knows your child has some in his home right now! Please send us money to rid the world of these terrible weapons of mass murder…

You don’t need to say what the object of your derision is, just use all the fear buzzwords to trick the people. Fear, propaganda, playing on the basic urge of mothers to protect their children, it may be a bit more advanced than psych 101, but it is a well known and practiced science. Whether tricking you out of your money, or for your vote, these psychological warfare tactics, mass propaganda, and advertising tricks work all too well.

The squeaky wheel gets its greasen’, or so the saying goes. Latch on to an issue, lie, cheat, and scream bloody murder until you get your way, and you usually will. You do not actually have to believe in your cause so strongly; there is the trick. All you have to do is act the part because when it comes time to compromise, and you are forced to give ground to the other side, you will end up with something approaching getting your way. A man who is central on an issue can be easily swayed by a man with extremist viewpoints; this is why adopting an extremist viewpoint works. Hitler did it, the Democrats do it, the environmentalists and animal rights people do it, the anti- gun and drug lobbyists do it, and so should you.

kurtz
October 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
http://www.unogateway.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/10/06/4525f6d2529e6

"According to UNL police, the explosives were described to be between 2 and 4 inches in length, housed in cardboard tubing that was red and silver in color. A green fuse was used as the ignition device."

From the hysteria, you'd think that it was plastic explosives and that he'd been quoting the Koran in class.