View Full Version : Arts and recipes from CRC handbook 33rd ed.

DMSOnMyVeins
September 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Here's a few things that may be useful that I haven't seen around this site:

Acid proof cement
A handy acid resisting cement can be made by mixing sodium silicate and asbestos powder (Where are you going to find asbestos? NBK) to the consistency of a thin paste. If allowed to dry for 24 hours, the resulting cement will resist the strongest acids.

Litharge cement for joining metal to glass
Litharge (PbO) .......260g
Glycerin solution......100mL (2 parts glycerin, 1 part water)
Place the litharge in a mortar, add the diluted glycerin slowly while grinding. Heat will be evolved and the mixture will begin to set. While still soft pour it into place and work it into position as in the case of putty. Allow to stand for a day when it will be thoroughly hard.

Cleaning solution for glass

(AKA 'Chromerge'. The addition of chloride or halogens to chromic acid cleaning solutions can generate the highly toxic and volatile carcinogen, chromyl chloride. Contact with more than trace amounts of organics can result in explosions. Should be used only as a last resort or when absolute sterility is required, such as PCR work. NBK)

35cc saturated sodium dichromate
1L conc. sulfuric acid poured into the dichromate sol.

another cleaning sol.
Trisodium phosphate......2oz.
sodium oleate...............1oz
Distilled water...............1 pint

Heating baths
For temperatures up to:
100°C................Steam
100-250°C..........crisco or nujol
200-300°C..........o-tolyl phosphate
above 250°C.......woods metal

Woods metal is prepared by heating together:
Bismuth...........50 parts by weight
lead................25 parts
tin..................12.5 parts
cadmium..........12.5 parts

Hydrogen sulfide
H2S may be prepared by heating together 3 parts by weight sulfur and 1 part paraffin wax. Generation of H2S ceases as soon as heat is removed. (But it continues to stink...forever...even when cold. A foul, penetrating stink that'll permeate everything near it. NBK)

nbk2000
September 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM
There's more to know about things than just simple formulas, as the above additions show.

This is what kills a lot of newbies when they first start making explosives.

Oh sure, they know how to make something. But making something dangerous (whether they know it or not) and being able to use it without losing life or limb is another story altogether.

Hirudinea
September 26th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Hydrogen sulfide
H2S may be prepared by heating together 3 parts by weight sulfur and 1 part paraffin wax. Generation of H2S ceases as soon as heat is removed. (But it continues to stink...forever...even when cold. A foul, penetrating stink that'll permeate everything near it. NBK)

Could melted paraffin wax and sulphur be mixed togther to form a "stink candle" or would the heat from the paraffin itself cause the release all the HS2 during mixing? (Just thinking of Christmas gifts for people I don't particulary like.)

nbk2000
September 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM
If you warm the wax to soften it, or dissolve it in a solvent, and knead the sulfur in, it won't stink.

It's only after it's heated to boiling, that it starts the reaction.

Once it has been reacted, the cooled down mix STINKS forever.

At this point, you could granulate it and sprinkle it about.

Or, you can put the unreacted mix somewhere where it'll get the necessary heat to react, like on top of a car muffler, in the drip pan underneath an electric stove element, hot water heater, etc.

I'm pretty sure you could make a stink candle out of it, but the first time they light it would be the last time too. :D

megalomania
September 27th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Demented bastards! A stink candle indeed… From my observation of women types who light candles with profligate ease, after it has been lit it is set aside and forgotten. I propose then to cap the top portion of the candle with virgin wax that burns clean and healthy. Only after that wax burns away is the wax-o-stinky revealed.

Why am I reminded of the movie Foxfire when I think about candles…?

c.Tech
September 28th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Would a candle wax and sulfur mix added to a KNO3/sugar smoke bomb generate enough H2S to cause death from exposure?

DMSOnMyVeins
September 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Would a candle wax and sulfur mix added to a KNO3/sugar smoke bomb generate enough H2S to cause death from exposure?

Candle wax won't work

You need parafin wax

Hirudinea
September 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
If you warm the wax to soften it, or dissolve it in a solvent, and knead the sulfur in, it won't stink.

It's only after it's heated to boiling, that it starts the reaction.

And the flame from the wick won't destory the HS2?

Once it has been reacted, the cooled down mix STINKS forever.

And I assume its impossible to remove as well, right?

At this point, you could granulate it and sprinkle it about.

Or, you can put the unreacted mix somewhere where it'll get the necessary heat to react, like on top of a car muffler, in the drip pan underneath an electric stove element, hot water heater, etc.

I wonder how hard it would be to put into a tube of "new" Arctic Silver Thermal goop?

Demented bastards! A stink candle indeed…

Hey there are lots of uses for it, put it in emergency ligthing kits, break into newly constructed condos with a dozen stink candles and tin pie plates (don't want to burn the place down, that ruins the joke), light a few in your favourite Roman Catholic/Orthodox Church to reserve yourself that ringside seat in hell, see lots of things.

From my observation of women types who light candles with profligate ease, after it has been lit it is set aside and forgotten. I propose then to cap the top portion of the candle with virgin wax that burns clean and healthy. Only after that wax burns away is the wax-o-stinky revealed.

I can just imagine it, a blind date a candlelight dinner, the doorbell rings, the man enters, the flame hits the stinky wax and the vomiting ensues, and you call us demented bastards! :D

By the way as I assume the candles would be a yellowish colour wouldn't they look like beeswax candles? Those things are expensive, I might have a new product for E-Bay (one sale only!)

nbk2000
September 29th, 2006, 02:38 AM
The mixture turns black after it's started reacting.

Vaseline works as well as wax, so you could make a paste-like mix as well if you wanted to.

The stench is impossible to remove from the reacted mix itself, but anywhere that's been stenched by the mix will air out in a day or two, depending on temperature and how long it's been exposed.

I would assume the flame from a candle wick would ignite any generated H2S, thus destroying it, but that'd also create sulfur smoke, which also stinks pretty badly.

Hydrogen sulfide is as toxic as Hydrogen Cyanide, but I don't think you could create enough H2S using this mix to kill someone before the stench drove them out.

megalomania
September 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I would now propose is there any compound you could burn in a candle that would be highly toxic, and yet odorless, colorless, and tasteless? Tampering with OTC medicines is one thing, but imagine a craft store recall of all those scented candles. Mass panic of the soccer moms ensue, and we have one more item on the terror watchlist to cow the sheeple.

c.Tech
September 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
IIRC only 25% of people can smell cyanide, more females than males. Apparently it smells like bitter almonds.

If someone was to mix sodium cyanide in one half of a candle and a strong acid in another (perhaps sulfuric) when the candle melts the 2 chemicals would mix in molten wax, releasing hydrogen cyanide vapour which would kill 25% of the people exposed because they wouldn’t smell a thing.

EDIT: Just another thought, use already scented candles.

but I don't think you could create enough H2S using this mix to kill someone before the stench drove them out.

What if a mixture of Vaseline and sulfur was added to a pyrotechnic mix set off in a room, or a fast acting smoke bomb. The room would immediately fill with thick smoke and give the victim quite a dose.

Hirudinea
October 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
The mixture turns black after it's started reacting.

But just when the mixture is heated to the proper reaction tempture right?

Vaseline works as well as wax, so you could make a paste-like mix as well if you wanted to.

That would be easier to make a stenching material.

If someone was to mix sodium cyanide in one half of a candle and a strong acid in another (perhaps sulfuric) when the candle melts the 2 chemicals would mix in molten wax, releasing hydrogen cyanide vapour which would kill 25% of the people exposed because they wouldn’t smell a thing.

If you labeled the candles "Almond" or "Bitter Almond" "Aroma Therapy Candles" 100% of the people exposed would be killed because the smell would be exactly what they were expecting!

Hell once the caught the scent of almond from the candle they might start inhaling more deeply, it is after all "Theraputic"!

c.Tech
October 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
If you labeled the candles "Almond" or "Bitter Almond" "Aroma Therapy Candles" 100% of the people exposed would be killed because the smell would be exactly what they were expecting!

But how many people would buy an "Almond" or "Bitter Almond" scented candle? It would be have more of an effect to put them into all scented or all candles in general, only 25% of people can smell it so that still leaves a large success rate.

nbk2000
October 3rd, 2006, 02:21 AM

That is correct.

Hirudinea
October 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM

That is correct.

Thanks.

But how many people would buy an "Almond" or "Bitter Almond" scented candle? It would be have more of an effect to put them into all scented or all candles in general, only 25% of people can smell it so that still leaves a large success rate.

Well I'm sure some people would buy Almond scented candles, but I see your point, not everybody would, but puting the poison in scented candles would probably be the best idea, as the scent would mask the smell of the poison, even people who could smell it would probably just think "Hmmmm, thats odd, oh well, must just be the candle. Why am I turning blue?"

DMSOnMyVeins
October 4th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Along the lines of the parafin/sulfur H2S generator:
Heating a mixture of Se and parafin wax generates H2Se. From what I remember this stuff is a nightmare, 1ppm is humanly intolerable! :eek:

Acid proof cement
A handy acid resisting cement can be made by mixing sodium silicate and asbestos powder (Where are you going to find asbestos? NBK) to the consistency of a thin paste. If allowed to dry for 24 hours, the resulting cement will resist the strongest acids.

White asbestos
Chrysotile, CAS No. 12001-29-5, is obtained from serpentine rocks. Chrysotile is the type most often used industrially in the United States. There is some evidence that this form of asbestos is not as harmful when inhaled. There is also evidence that this type of asbestos is harmful, although not perhaps as harmful as other forms.

Natural Chrysotile is easy to purchase from various mineral specimen outlets.
I'm not aware as to whether it would work or not.

Meawoppl
November 30th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Did you guys know that there is reported uses for H2S for inducing of suspended animation? Apparently, small concentrations slow metaolic functions down significantly. Check this out, it is very cool:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/308/5721/518