View Full Version : Need fish bomb help

Phattwoohie
September 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Hello there,

First let me say that Im new, and if this is the wrong forum, please forgive me. My grandfather has several large ponds in the woods on about 100 acres that he owns. That being said, I want to make a fish bomb for fun, and to put a mess of fish in the freezer before winter gets here.

I tried shocking the fish by using a hand held generator. I took two 25 foot pieces of wire and attached them to the generator and placed a lead weight on each of the wire ends. I then threw the wires out in the water about 5-6 feet apart, and started cranking the generator.

It worked pretty good for catfish, as they floated up in droves, but that was about it.

After consulting with a friend, I was informed that catfish are easier to electric shock, because they have skin and other fish are a bit harder to shock because of their scales. My generator wasnt putting out enough to shock the scaled fish, so I decided to try and make a small pipe bomb.

I searched the forums here, but mostly found people who want to make bombs out of high grade powders and stuff. Im just looking to make a crude bomb to fish with on our private land.

I was thinking of just using plastic PVC pipe about 6 inches long and 2 end caps. I would fill the pipe with Black powder, the same kind I buy for my black powder rifle at the local sporting goods store.

Then I would drill a hole through one of the endcaps, and use regular waterproof canon fuse that I can buy from Cabellas magazine.

I was gonna push the fuse down through the hole in the endcap and into the black powder. Then drip hot wax around the hole in the endcap/fuse to waterproof it. Tie a brick around the pipe and light fuse and throw out into the pond.

O.k. obviously I'm no expert in the least when it comes to this stuff, thats why I'm asking for your advice, and your expertise. I know there's got to be some flaws in my plan, and I'm hoping you will point them out to me.

Also if this is in the wrong forum, I ask any moderator to please move it, or close it, and I can post in the right one. Thank you all in advance.

+++++++++++

I've highlighted selected portions of this post for the amusement of the membership. ;) :D

Also, paragraph breaks are mandatory around here, as well as proper punctuation, such as using I'm, not Im, as a contraction for I am.

NBK

Ropik
September 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
The main flaw is that you will be killed while making that cute pipe bomb of yours. Usualy, it is better to drill into containers before putting something spark, heat, friction and static-electricity sensitive inside, you see?
Maybe I should hold my mouth shut, but I really dislike people killed and maimed by their own explosive creations - it puts our hobby into bad light.
Search this forum some more and you will find something... at least literature to read.

c.Tech
September 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
LOL thanks for that highlight nbk.

To think I was going to recommend APAN to him warning him on AP’s dangers, but I don’t think it would be a very good idea to tell him about a powerful and sensitive explosive if he may drill it. Anyone disagree? ;) Read last line.

I think whilst typing something that would be different to him actually making it. He may get second thoughts whilst in the process unless he wants to end up here (http://www.darwinawards.com/).

It would probably be better if people like him end up dead so they wont be a danger to anyone anymore nor will they breed another generation of stupid kids.

Chopper
September 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Now I hesitate to ask, however, what on earth is the danger involved in drilling PVC with a HSS(or carbon steel) drill?

Obviously, a different approach is required to satisfy all reasonable safety requirements. This not withstanding, given that graphite-coated BP will be used inside PVC pipe, there is no substantial risk present from static or heat build-up. To be perfectly frank, the greatest risk involved would be setting fire to the fuse whilst dripping wax onto the hole.

Clearly the better method would be to drill an end-cap, seal the fuse into it, before capping and filling the pipe.

Further more, the basic level of understanding of this individual, combined with his/her preparedness to state so AND to ask about something that they themselves recognise as being rather mickey-mouse would tend to indicate that, far from being stupid, this individual simply lacks some 'common' knowledge.

I know I really shouldn't throw rocks from inside my glass-house, but I'm personally worried more about simple sentence structure being screwed-up to a point of being unintelligible. This particular gem springs to mind. Particularly coming from somebody that uses english all day long every day....

c.Tech wrote:
"I think whilst typing something that would be different to him actually making it."

??????????

festergrump
September 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm curious. What does your grandfather think of this idea?

(If I were his grandfather he'd be swinging by his neck from my favorite tree in true Mississippi Windchime fashion. You see, it would have been me who painstakingly stocked the fucking ponds with fish caught elsewhere to ensure I had good times to come fishing them back out at my leisure when they matured... And here he comes along and blasts them into oblivion in an instant, wrecking not only my fun but making the fish nearly inedible, too! FOOL! )

That said and out of the way and regardless of what your grandpa thinks of your lame idea of fishing sport, whatever are you to do with the nearly ruined meat of your now destroyed fishies? Fillets are now out of the question. Providing you can still distinguish between the meat and the internal organs you'll have pretty much one option left to save anything in useable quantities, and while I will never help you out in your endevours to ruin your good ole grandpappy's fishing fun by spoonfeeding you, I will come off of an idea for you to save what could potentially be a total loss... This will be the only help you get from me on this topic.

Fish patties: Chop whatever useable portions of meat into uniformly small chunks, mix with egg whites to help hold them together, mash very tightly into hamburger sized patties, dip back into the eggwhites very carefully for an external coating, pat down with breadcrumb/cornflour/ favorite seasoning mix, and either panfry, deep fry, or bake until golden brown (I prefer deepfrying in a wire mesh basket. They'll float when finished cooking). Must cook to completion before freezing or the patties will eventually spoil in the freezer. They can be thawed and reheated only once prior to consumption. Viola.

Enjoy them before your grandpa kicks your ass into your next incarnation...

NBK, you are sadistic for letting this one through-- but thanks for the laugh. :) Always appreciated!

c.Tech
September 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
c.Tech wrote:
"I think whilst typing something that would be different to him actually making it."

??????????

Sorry I didn’t properly structure that line correctly, what it was meant to mean was... typing the two bolded sentences in that order and actually carrying it out are two different things, he could have realised what he was doing when he was about to drill the hole or drilled the hole on the end cap before fitting it.

nbk2000
September 30th, 2006, 11:03 PM
PVC can create static charges by rubbing against other objects, so there's that possible (though unlikely) source of ignition.

Another is the frictional heat generated by a drill going through the end cap, or the crushing and grinding of grains of BP by the drill bit against each other.

It's just an all around BAD idea to drill into a pipe bomb, regardless of what it is made out of, or what is in it. :rolleyes:

But it is good that he asked anyways. :)

atlas#11
October 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
I'm with NBK, and everyone else with intelligence on this one. Powertools + explosives = full days work for coroner + rotting entrails stinking up grandpa's property (or fish bait, if it were my grandson).

If your serioulsy interested in the science of energetic compounds, then you are in the right place, but your going to have a hard time learning if you get banned. I suggest you read the rules of the forum, post inside the water cooler (where new commers are required to make their first post anyways), and learn as much as you can before making stupid mistakes like drilling into a couple pounds of explosives.

If all you want to do is blow up some fishes, then I still advise you to learn something about what your doing. It's not that I give a shit about your well being, it's that your death would just be another statistic for the piggies to bitch about till they get more funding for their war on intelligence. You came to us for help, we will give it to you, you owe it to us to not get killed.

CaiTheGreat
October 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that maybe in typing his proposed idea this guy incorrectly ordered the steps of his plan. Perhaps he meant to drill and fully finish all work on the exterior of his device before adding black powder. Maybe not though.

Cobalt.45
October 3rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
My question would be, "What the fuck's wrong with eating/ putting up catfish?"

More meat, less bone, and if you know how to do it, very simple skinning.

Not to mention, delicious.

And, did you ever consider a hook and line? Or even a net? Or is that, too, way too hard?

Around sporting men, fishing with explosives is considered poor form. Reserved for mouth breathing white trash. Do right by your dear ol' Grand Daddy, why doncha?

Not to mention the fish...

atlas#11
October 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
This forum isn't about sport or fishing, its about explosives and weapons. The only way to incorporate explosives with fishing is by fishing with explosives. If he wants to fish with explosives thats his perogative, all I care about is him doing it right. I don't give a shit about sport or the fishes either, aslong as he doesn't get killed in the process.

festergrump
October 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
This forum isn't about sport or fishing...
It is not about making "pipe-bombs", either, or anything containing the word BOMB in it... yet four times within the first post (including the title) I managed to read that word.

It is assumed when you come here that you know putting a material that expels gas rapidly when burned inside a confined space what the outcome will generally be. Coming here and needing to ask how to devise such a contraption or in what sequence to put it together in is asking for trouble, since we don't generally cater to fools who cannot even grasp this principle to the point where they can get such a device to function as expected, and do so safely.

Sure, some may say, "Well, at least he asked..." but I say who cares if he did or didn't. There's absolutely no reason to come here where the discussions are so much further advanced than this level and ask such a question outside the Water Cooler when there are so many other places all over the internet who'll be glad to have his discussion there because it fits in with their level of study or focus. Evil NBK did it to provide a good hearty gut-chuckle, and that it did.

If his dear ole grandad was all for this idea of his, could HE not help the boy with something similar to what he's planning on using? More than likely he could do much better than confined BP and some visco. All I'm saying is, no, this Forum isn't about fishing or sport, but it definitely isn't about spoonfeeding lamers or helping them go and do something stupid, either.

In defense of my earlier post, I gave him the general idea of what to do when he ruined most of his fish and nothing more. For all we know there are no ponds or any fish to be frozen, but instead a whole slew of young eyes waiting to gasp in awe at his new found abilities to unleash a loud report...

Someone call Totse. Another one escaped...

mil&co
October 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Actually, fishing with explosives is contra-productive. The purpose of fishing is to keep the fish and eat it (in this case).

But when using explosives, there won't be much pleasure in eating your kill.
Water caries the blast-wave much better than air, which allows you to kill fish in a large radius, but because of the strong blast-wave their bodies will turn into blubber (thus making them useless for culinary purpose).

If you just want to kill some fish, go ahead, make some AN-dynamite + SA cap and have fun. But for real fishing you'll need a line and a hook.

atlas#11
October 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Actualy the theory behind fishing with explosives is that a small shockwave will rupture the swimbladders on the target fish and cause them to float to the surface. This doesn't always work but more often than not. Try using less explosives, more isn't always better.

Fester, I wasn't trying to spoon feed anyone. I was merly stating that he should read the rules before posting in here. I never even stated that he had any brains, all I was saying is that I would rather see him learn something before he blows himself up drilling into a pipe bomb. Statistics are capable of getting laws passed, and I'm getting tired of having chemicals banned.

nbk2000
October 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Floating a line of det-cord on the surface and setting it off will stun fish without pulverizing them.

But where does the young fisherman get det-cord?

Why, he makes his own, of course! :D

atlas#11
October 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I've done dets on the surface, its strangely louder than usual, like a floating black cat firecracker sounds much louder than one just tossed on the ground. I think it's because the ground absorbs alot of the noise, where water being non-compressable would reverberate the sound better. Just my theory any ways.

Something to account for when fishing with something illegal, on your own property it probably isn't that big of a deal, but on a lake in a state park or something it may be wise to submerge the charge.

Hirudinea
October 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Couldn't you just submerge a weighted hose with holes in it and pump a fish posion (carbon dioxide gas for instance, suffocate the little buggers) through the hose and wait for the fish to float the surface?

viol8r
October 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
When I was a younger man, I had an older friend that fished everywhere. He used an electric welder at the end of his pier to get fish.

He knew of my lovely firecrackers. I believe they were 1-1/4" by 4, 5, 6 inches long.

He used some to great success but some were not water proofed properly and were duds.

I didn't have a proper way to waterproof at the time so that method of fishing stopped. Now I would cover them with Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

I have used Shimizu's recipe of:

64 Potassium Perchlorate
23 Aluminum
13 Sulfur

He never spoke of the fish tasting or being in a different shape after he gave them a cracking.

wmdguru
October 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Fishing with explosives is like using concrete for engine oil. It just doesn't make sense. You are going to drop a pipe bomb... into the water to cause an explosion which will blow up the fish.. can someone "break off the logic for me here?"

I admit I am ingorant in many things to include the hydrodynamics involved with an explosion underwater... well is it is aerodynamics where the gasses are from where the explosion occurs.. anyways... I would guess that trying to use explosives to blow up fish makes as much sense as a lawyer fighting for justice.

Where I have been fishing I would usually prefer to use a net. As in a fish net and use a net to gather my fish. It will be dolphin safe in a pond or lake as there are no dolphins in there.

The only practical application for using explosives to aid fishing is if you are looking to blow a beaver dam. Any thing else is nothing more than fruitless.

I would advocate using explosives when hunting though... make an improvised claymore mine... but I don't think the game warden would agree with these methods and even if you live in Arkansas I am sure you would be slapped with a hefty fine if caught.

You fish on private land? Well go out when it isn't hunting season even on you own land and see if a game warden shows up without a warrant to see what is going on. He can seize everything you own before you know which lawyer to call.

DaveO
October 11th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I fish for Carp with my bangers and it is a fine sport. Not seen in the public as a sporting event, but all the same rewarding in its own right.

Gerbil
October 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Not seen in the public as a sporting event, but all the same rewarding in its own right.

Even though there is 0% skill involved? Hmmm...I was always led to believe that the point of fishing was food/sport. If you want to create mass-death for no apparent reason, IMO you should join the Marines and head to Iraq ;) .

Hypothetically speaking, though, to clear a lake of fish, one way could be to use a poison such as a lot of chlorine, although it wouldn't be a particularly nice death (or edible :rolleyes: ). But bear in mind that you'd be destroying the whole ecological structure as well.

The OP's idea reminds me of the hunting 'skills' of lazy upper-class Romans, ie. getting a band of slaves to round the animal into a net and leisurely stabbing it to death with a pre-sharpened spear. What's the point?

BeerWolf
October 18th, 2006, 01:36 AM
For your amusement, here are Rednecks fishing in Afganistan with an RPG:

http://op-for.com/2006/10/best_video_ever.html

c.Tech
October 18th, 2006, 05:32 AM
1 fish lol, just goes to show you where your tax money is going.