View Full Version : a car that drives itself

Sausagemit
October 1st, 2006, 04:06 PM
This is one of the sweetest things I have seen in a while. And this is not fake like the Cesium video. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehLs02jURk

GibbsFreeEnergy
October 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM
If I were on the team who created that car, I'd be insulted by the introduction. The narrator passes off this achievement casually as something that can be done by any idiot who has a car with "an automatic transmission and power steering." And of course it's obvious that the car can't make the same time with an extra person in it; what an illogical argument. If that car only lost one second and had the narrator in it, I'd venture to say it did a better job than he did.. aside from knocking the cone down. Other than that, it is pretty cool.

c.Tech
October 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
I just can’t wait until all this new technology comes out, I’m going to become the laziest guy in Australia. :D

Maybe this is the first step to driving under the influence (legally) to pass the time during a boring car ride. I sure hope so.

He called the result a victory for the human race over the silicone chip, although he would have been using all of his concentration to control the car, sooner or later his concentration would drop whilst the computer chip would not.

In the long run the computer is a better driver then him. :p

rayman
October 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
now that is very interesting,

loaded with say 500 lbs of some home brew explosives :eek:

Sausagemit
October 2nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
He called the result a victory for the human race over the silicone chip, although he would have been using all of his concentration to control the car, sooner or later his concentration would drop whilst the computer chip would not.

Thats exactly why VW created the system. So they would have a test driver that would never tire and get extremely consistant lap times. Something a human can not do.

There are things that humans can sense but they do not know, so they are making guestamated values in the form of imputs to the controls of a car. A computer equiped with sensors can know these values and instead of making guestamated imputs can make known imputs.

My guess is with a little bit of fine tuning and a little bit more instrumentation (lateral g meter, something to sense the weight shift, something to sense the load on each tire) this thing would best pretty much every human out there.

nbk2000
October 3rd, 2006, 02:46 AM
Ever see the scene from the movie Minority Report, whe Tome Cruise is trying to get somewhere (to prove his innocence for a murder he's being charged with) and the car that drives itself is re-routed by police override to take him to the police station?

It's all fine and well that the car drives itself, until the car takes you to the one place you don't want to be. ;)

I drive a car, not the other way around.

5_seven
October 4th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I think it's cool and all, but has the Terminator taught us nothing? Imagine it, hundreds of VW Golfs becoming self aware simultaneously. This is not a world I would want to live in.