View Full Version : Ball Milling with a Vibratory Tumbler

30yearstoolate!
October 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM
On the subject of ball milling many E&W members are using rotary rock tumblers for ball milling. I work at a tool store and they sell them quite inexpensively. But they also sell a "Vibratory Tumbler" for slightly more. I wanted to know if this would work better or faster than the average cheap rock tumbler. Here is a link.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ search by item number for 93252

Basically how this type of tumbler works is it shakes the contents of the drum and breaks up the material. Many ammunition reloaders use these type to polish their brass shells.

I would be interested to know if any members are currently using a similar tumbler and how well it works. I figured that other members could tell me if I should pay the $39.99 to purchase a vibritory tumbler or stick to the tried and true method and get a rotary tumbler that is on sale for $21.99.

Thanks in advance,
30years

[edited to fix the link]

Cobalt.45
October 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM
These "vibratory tumblers" have interested me, also.

The thing I wonder about is how to prevent the separation of the media from the mixture being milled, as well as separating the constituents of the mixture itself.

If you were to use media with a similar density as what you're milling, separation might not be too much of a problem. But the mechanical action would be compromised.

Any thoughts as to how to get around this?

nbk2000
October 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
The shape of the vibratory tumbler cause a circulation 'current' where the stuff goes down in the middle, and rises up on the perimeter (or vice-versa), so media segregation shouldn't be a problem.

30yearstoolate!
October 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
So would a vibritory tumbler be effective for ball milling? Or would the tried and true method work the best? Also should I use a different media with it or stick to brass balls? Just curious for some input.

c.Tech
October 25th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Also should I use a different media with it or stick to brass balls?
Could I say UTFSE to that?

CosmikDebris
October 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM
In the past I have used the vibration type tumblers in cleaning and polishing brass casings; usually you start with an empty bowl, add your brass and then cover the brass with corncob Or walnut media.

Fifty .45ACP cases take about 24 hrs to clean with walnut, don’t know if the bowl or motor will hold up to the heavy milling media needed.

Check the RCBS or Lyman websites.

Cobalt.45
October 26th, 2006, 07:17 AM
don’t know if the bowl or motor will hold up to the heavy milling media needed.

A six pound capacity tumbler is a six pound tumbler. Whether it six pounds of ammo brass/corncob or brass balls and KClO4, it cares not.

The tumbler mentioned by 30ytl! is made for continuous use.

The question is, has anyone tried using it in place of a ball mill?

Personally, I believe if it were a viable alternative, we'd have heard about it before now.

IMHO, unless you have an alternative use for a vibe tumbler, it's not worth the gamble.

30yearstoolate!
October 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the information, I'll stick to the regular tumbler.