View Full Version : Your experience with lead styphnate

Red Beret
October 29th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Just wondering if many of you have used lead styphnate?

If so, what is your opinion of it?

I am planning to make some LS/PETN caps to store for up to a couple of months. I was thinking of using an empty .22 shell of LS to fire a 2g charge of PETN. The LS will be extracted from rifle primers.

The reason I want to try this is; LS stores whereas AP and HMTD dont, and I require caps that I can make and then use a bit later. Plus I'm sick of AP, and want to try something new and a little more stable.

So, is it worth extracting from primers, and, how much would it take to reliably set off the PETN. The .22 shell will work but I'm wondering if less will do it? Also, did you have trouble loading the dry LS into cases? It looks "cast" in the primers.

To me, this appears to be an easy and safer way of making storable caps.

sparkchaser
October 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I once knew a falla who was of the kewl type that was making a pull string, single shot shotgun round that was basically like one of those party poppers you can get at a store. All he did to get the LS was lightly squeeze the base of .22 shells to open them up a bit and tapped it out. He then simply poured the product into the bottom of a film canister and lightly packed it around the string that was exiting through a hole in the center of the cannister's bottom. Stupid, yes, but also cheap and effective. I personnally would not like to be anywhere nearby someone who was doing it!