View Full Version : Making Forensic Products

cracker
November 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
By using Material Safety Data Sheets I have been able to make Forensic Products that work.

I started by using Sirchie Fingerprint Labratories UV734 Invisible Writing Ink. By utilizing a solution of 1.2 parts Leucophor AP (the BSB isn't made anymore) to 98.8 parts distilled Water I have been able to produce a very effective invisible ink that produces a bright blue under UV light.

By taking the same Leucophor AP liquid (that I got sampled from Clariant Corporation) I was able to duplicate Sirchies UV7311 & UV 743E Invisible Metal Marking & Skin Marking Ink. This left an invisible mark for several days on my hand. Then came UV201 Fluorescent Invisible Detection Powder.

By utilizing a mix of 4 parts Green Crayola Powder paint, 64 parts Zinc Stearate & 32 parts Zinc Sulfide(Activated) I have been able to easily make a "theftpowder".

When dusted on a 20$ bill this is almost invisible yet produces a bright green glow on my hand after touching it. After scrubbing my hands underwater I noticed the underneath part of my fingernails still glowed under the blacklight.

This was from one contact, not mixing the powder.

I went on to duplicate UV201-UV207 Theft Powders (a blend of colors for special purpose detection).

Luminol had to be next, part# (Luminol16).

Using a mix of 5 parts 3-Aminophthalhydrazide (purchased from Post Apple Scientific Supply), 85 parts Sodium Carbonate & 10 parts Sodium Perborate Tetrahydrate I have been able to make a dry powder Luminol product that just needs distilled Water added before use.

Currently I've been working on BV100 Blueview Gunpowder Partical Test Kit, a test for gunshot residue.

I have had great success With SPR Spray (small partical reagent), Indestructible Fingerprint Powders, Invisible Crayons, etc.

There is no doubt there are many, many more products that could be copied. I would like to also say that Sirchie is the leading supply to Law Enforcement, so these products are what "they" use.

I would love to hear other recipes for forensic products. I am still very much in the learning stages with this. But I can tell you one thing, the more you use them the more uses they have!

cracker
November 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Aluminum Powder 2-4 micron
Diphenylamine (Wards Natural Science)
Boric Acid (Most Stores)
Cabosil M-5 (got mine as a sample from Cabot Corp.)
Charcoal Powder Airfloat (Skylighter Inc.)
Citric Acid (Most stores)
Ethyl Alcohol (most stores)
Glycerol (most stores)
Graphite (Wards Natural Science, Most Stores)
Hydrogen Peroxide (most Stores)
Iron Oxide Black (Firefox Enterprises)
Iron Oxide red (ceramic supply)
Isoprophyl Alcohol (any store)
Lamp Black (Post Apple Scientific Supply)
Leucophor AP (got mine sampled from Clariant)
Lycopodium Powder (Wards Natural Science)
Methyl Alcohol (Post Apple Scientific)
Niaproof 4 (got mine sampled from Niacet Corp.)
Ninhydrin (Wards Natural Science)
Petroleum Jelly (any store)
Phenolphthalein (Wards Natural Science)
Phosphoric Acid (Wards Natural Science)
Sodium Bicarbonate (anystore)
Sodium Carbonate-Anhydrous (Post Apple Scientific,stores)
Sodium Hydroxide (most stores)
Sodium Hypochlorite (any store)
Sodium Perborate Tetrahydrate (Post Apple Scientific)
Thymolphthalein (Wards Natural Science)
Titanium Dioxide (Post Apple Scientific,pottery supply)
Trichloroethylene (Post Apple Scientific)
Zinc Stearate (Post Apple Scientific)
Zinc Sulfide-Activated (Post Apple Scientific)
Invisible Pigments (Dayglo Corp. gives free samples of Phantom pigments and Optical Brighteners)

Wards Natural Science takes a business liscense, the rest are retail.

cracker
February 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
There are many Similarities between Forensic Science Products and Pyrotechnic Compositions.

I say this with hope in mind of inspiring a "second look" at the world of information offered here >http://www.sirchie.com/msds.asp

Take a look at this - http://www.sirchie.com/msds/105l.pdf

The Stearic Acid stabilizing this Fingerprint Composition reminded me of how close this is to Flash Powder.

This following week I will be using a 15lb Ball Mill purchased from FIREFOX ENTERPRISES to further reduce Forensic Powders. 3-Aminophthalic Hydrazide granules are actually quite stubborn:rolleyes:

Advancing my time and money into learning about these products has greatly increased my Knowledge in many areas.

I encourage anyone who wants to know more to exhaust the link I have provided and get back to the Forum.