View Full Version : A little introduction

I play with matches
November 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Greetings fellow science enthusiasts!

I am new to the forum, so I figured I might introduce myself.

I'm a 22 year old student working on my Forensic science master, having recently completed a Physics degree in london (woot UCL top 3 reasearch uni in the world of physics :p) and have decided I want to be like Horatio Caine, Jack Bauer and Jonas from the unit all put into one.

Yes thats right, I am going to become the super cop, with a specialization in fireams, explosives and terrorism. I already have an unhealthy obsession with firearms and can rattle on for hours about things like 9mm Vs .45ACP or what country makes the best rifles (that would be Germany, the fatherland thank you very much) but although I am an avid explosives enthusiast (made a flaming tennis-ball mortar and a great 600 chain exploding firecracker, now THAT was cool :D) I know precious little about explosives. Being from a physics backround I can deal with the blast mechanics and stuff, but I just dont have the skills in the chemistry department (my dad was a chemist so he kinda put me off it at an early age, wouldnt wanna be like my dad now would I?) and it seems this is place to go.

I've taken a quick (but by no means thorough) look at the links, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good introductory text books or links (or evene better, links to pdfs of textbooks :p) at about A-level (first year of uni in the states) with some basic explanation of the chemistry, making, detection and that kinda stuff.

Oh yea, I do have one thing I found, an explosives guide by the FBI (which was a little complicated for me TBH)and was wondering if you guys were interested I could post a link/upload it if you want.

megalomania
November 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Welcome to The Forum, matches. Didn’t they make you take any chem at uni? I know they made me take physics :( I was about to ask you, while reading your thread, if you could recommend any forensics textbooks on crime scene investigations of homicides and trace evidence…

I wonder what kind of textbooks you were asking about exactly? I will assume chemistry for the time being. I think we had a thread about that recently somewhere around here. If I had to make one recommendation, it is what my research adviser recommended to me, March's Advanced Organic Chemistry. OK, so maybe that is not exactly introductory, but I think a physicist could handle it. Get thee over to ebooksclub.org, sign up, and download the book. They have tons of chem books.

Go ahead and upload that FBI guide if you will.

nbk2000
November 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM
A library request, no matter how well phrased, is still a library request.

Cobalt.45
November 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
So, does this mean that "I play with matches" got burned?

nbk2000
November 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Only if he doesn't contribute in a hurry. ;)