View Full Version : Another example of fearmongering

ShadowMyGeekSpace
November 10th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Today an acquaintance gave me this link:

'http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1163023202/Modern_binary_explosives'

Now, I don't know what they're using specifically, but it's impossible for me to believe that they used a single drop and achieved the end result the video shows, especially considering the limited enviornmental pressure around the reaction.

A thing that popped into my head, was that the radio could have been used to signal a sniper with explosive ammunition to achieve the effect, or that there was actually more than they show... perhaps explosives in the watermellon or something.

I pose these questions:

1) Is it actually possible that I am wrong and there is a binary explosive that is that volatile, amazingly without a cap?

2) Assuming it is not, why do people insist on instilling fear into sheeple?

mil&co
November 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I think the video is a fraud.

First of all, no conventional explosive can vaporise a melon in such small quantity's. Even the new "super powerfull" (say HNIW, azo-clathrates etc.) explosives are not capable of doing so.

Secondly, who says the melon was vaporised? The only thing I see on the video is a melon getting knocked from a pole. I don't see vapor, not even one small piece of the melon.

Third, why use a pen? It only increases the distance between the explosive and the melon. Or is there something else in the pen?;)

2) Assuming it is not, why do people insist on instilling fear into sheeple?
To gain power?

Edit: Could the explosive shown in the video be armstrongs mixture?

Bert
November 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM
The first comment is the most telling:I seriously expected "Vote Republican" to pop up at the end of this video.

The VOD's quoted are straight off of another site advertising (standard, non flame sensitive) binaries for de-mining operations.

I'd be very interested in finding out where this video came from- It's posted several other places as well.

BTW, did you notice the 1.1 labels on the bottles and box? The whole point of commercial binaries is that the components ARE NOT category 1 for simplicity in shipping and storage.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
November 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Would it not be possible to identify the possible mixture by the VOD they mention? It'd certainly rule out suspects. As I'm an amateur I don't have the experiance or knowledge to really comment further, because all I have is questions.

BlackFalcoN
November 10th, 2006, 08:27 AM
The explosive used looks a lot like 'Kinepak' (kinestick) which is just the commercial name for an ANNM mixture with a red dye in it to indicate a mixed binary charge.
( Although kinepak would require a blasting cap to detonate it)

In a split second the melon is vapourized

or just blown off it's sockle in the video :rolleyes:

This explosive, although rare, can be found todays world black market

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kinepak available in the US to every civilian with a permit for use in mining and agriculture ?

hereno
November 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Undoughtedly bullshit.

My guess:

Someone reinvented the acetone peroxide/nitrocellulose putty by mixing their AP with red nailpolish (its often NC based, note how they say it must "set" before being used), then played on the current terrorism hysteria with a rather effective prank on the ignorant fools with their new "binary explosive" by detonating a pen filled with AP on a mellon and adding in information on a real binary, kinepak.

Its possible what they created wasnt even an explosive, but the AP/nailpolish fits the description, well except for the exagerated claims of power.

Either Kids playing a prank or its the arabs at it again, using a different form of terrorism "Just how safe is it to fly?" :rolleyes:

Anyway, bert found the proof with the vod figures, which look to be for kinepak 'http://oditechnologies.com/products/binary_explosives.html'

Chris The Great
November 10th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Look at the guys hands, it's obviously some kid who dresses up in his h-core camo for the video. I've got a $5 two way radio which looks exactly the same too. Obviously it's a fake.

sparkchaser
November 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in the $5 radio theory, the U.S. military uses motorolas that look just like that for routine tasks, unofficially of course (they're less finnicky than field radios and don't require comsec).

But if you look at the brown paper surface about 3/4 through the video there is a stamp that looks like a postage proof stamp on a package. Can anybody read it? I can see "BELST....." but that's about it.

I also am having trouble recognizing the uniform. It almost looks U.S., but we no longer use the old field jacket (we graduated to Gore Tex), and I can't get a good look at the camo pattern. "Vapourized" is definetely U.K.. Can anybody get a better look at the camo pattern?

nbk2000
November 10th, 2006, 06:54 PM
In the picture labeled Fake1.jpg, if you look carefully at the gap on the right hand side where the melon sits on the pole, you'll see a white wire.

In the picture labeled Fake2.jpg, you'll see the sparks from the explosion are directed down and to the right, from about where a hole in the melon would be expected to be at for that white wire to be attached to a hidden firework.

And the hands shown in the video are entirely too smooth to be anything other than a young teenage male.

I bet the 'explosive' is nothing more than baking flour and red nail polish. :rolleyes:

cyclosarin
November 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM
At least they aren't trying to pass it off as red mercury. :)

Jacks Complete
November 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Don't. Some poor sod in the UK just spent 15 months inside while they tried desperately to send him away forever because he was suspected of being a terrorist and wanted to get some red mercury. Apparently the fact he never tried to get any of this mythical substance doesn't matter. Or the fact that he wasn't a suspect until he mentioned red mercury...

Oh, and the video is shite. It would have to be an anti-matter melon to do that much damage with such a tiny drop of matter. I bet it didn't even burn. Besides, you can see the smoke trail from the firework mounted on the pole that actually does the damage.

And finally, if that stuff did go bang that hard, the kid lighting it would have been using a long, long ignitor, as a flashover would have fragged him if it was real.

Curiously effective "freak out" music...

corrosive
November 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
After foolishly posting a thread not knowning there was one in effect already about this subject and this video, and this super binary explosive

Now after a requested thread delete, I've been watching the video every now and then to in terms "research" it.

I do believe this video is fake, by the hands, "smartly" written words and phrases during process of video, "scary" music, and ofcourse audio to the actual detonation itself is deleted so you cannot decipher the explosion easily, be it a brisk sound or a boom.

Now, my question is what are all the sparks, huge amount of smoke from such a small amount of matter, huge energy release from again, small amount of matter, and what is that wire that was unslacked after the explosion?

We all know that when a solid deflagrates, gunpowder for instances, the amount of solid in weight is turned into almost the same amount of weight in smoke, not sure if there is a formula for this, but how can such emense amounts of smoke come out of such a small amount of solid.

The energy release from this is just impossible from such a small amount of matter, like mentioned earlier, it would have to be anti-matter to have such a destructive effect on the watermelon. Obviously from this conlusive thought alone, we all know it wasn't the "binary" that did the damage, but a second, hidden firework or salute, judging by the effects, ae. sparks, smoke.
^
This leads to the wire that was unslacked after the explosion, there was most likely a salute hidden behind the fence post, and then it was set off via. electric box through wire that is following the fence line.

The whole organization of the explosion is very simple, light the fuse which is just a cannon fuse with nail polish on it, then wait a theoretical amount of seconds that the fuse would give you before the explosion, then the trip the wires and booyakasha you have your effect.

How they made this video "almost believable"

- Mysterious modern binary explosive , for the un-wise.
- "Scary" or effective music for the background, for enhancement on the doubtful.
- Procedure is shown and is written phrase by phrase to make-seem like it is actual, set time 30 mins ect ect., to make heat sensitive.
- Ingredients with background boxes containing a sticker with 1.1 meaning hazard or flameable.
- To "increase" safety by sticking rubber to the open mass.
- Have an example of conceilment and show its effectiveness.
- Mentioned above, wear "Hardcore Camo" and use a radio in effect to call out a danger zone for explosives to his "other" brethren.
- And finally, have a huge charge in sync with the lighting of the fuse to show its energy release for the climatic effect, then reshown in slow-motion.

Desmikes
November 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
We are looking at about (0.25cm)^3 worth of volume, at 1g/cc and given the lightest 18g/M product even at 2000K+ that's a sphere of gas with radius of 6.2 cm at 1ATM. In the video we are seeing a little more smoke than that .

Given the amount of sparks during an explosion it is safe to assume that the composition had powdered metals (thinking flash powder from a firework). Which would also imply that getting a good VOD is gonna be a bitch. And of course, as others pointed out, the sparks do not originate from the location of the "binary".

Why does it even matter that its a binary. If you can bring random powders, liquid, and black powder fuses somewhere, you can also bring things that do not require mixing. And ANY binary that is made of non-explosive components will fall short of high end molecular compounds.