View Full Version : HNO3 with graham condenser

GTOzoom
November 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
In one of my dreams, I purchased a graham condenser ('http://www.unitednuclear.com/other.htm)', and some NaNO3. I was looking into how to make white fuming nitric acid, but their really isnt any clear instructions. I am still looking for a source for sulphuric acid, but that shouldn't be a problem(I'll probably end up using a car battery.)

I was wondering if using this method would work and any possible ways to improve upon it:

Set up a boiling flask with a tube attached to the top which goes to the condenser. Run water through it, and boil the mix of H2SO4 and NaNO3. I beleive that 'pure' nitric acid should come out of the other end of the condenser and then I can just refine it with urea and boil it until it becomes white fuming. It just sounds a little to easy thats all. :cool:

I am an amateur chemist and I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking any details.

I will post pictures once the expiriment is set up.

wymanthescienceman
November 16th, 2006, 01:51 AM
What kind of connection are you going to use for the top of the condensor to the boiling flask? It obviously can't be rubber, and since it isn't a ground glass joint, you'll have a hard time finding something to use that isn't eaten by hot HNO3 vapor.

The only thing I would recommend is teflon, as it is one of the few things that isn't affected by HNO3. If you can't get a hold of that I guess chemical resistant PVC tubing could work, if you can get the right size to fit that thing.

You'll also probably need a distillation adapter that has a thermomoter port so you can read vapor temperature. But my guess is, unless you can find suitable materials, it won't work with that condensor. You should probably get a one piece retort or a all glass jointed distillation rig for nitric.

I was lucky enough to have come across a one piece distillation rig with ground glass joints and a thermometer port that is also ground glass:

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=845&d=1163653308

It is rather self contained using only 2 or 3 joints. Just hook up two flasks, water cooling, and a vacuum adapter (For HNO3), and off you go. Problem is I don't have a double ended 24/40 vacuum adapter yet, or a vacuum pump for that matter, so I can't do pure HNO3 anytime soon.

You could try the method used in the thread "HNO3 the easy way", although it takes a long time and it runs the risk of excess NOx vapors if done improperly. I've tried it with limited success, but it evolved too much NOx (Even at 60c) and took way too long that I gave up and decided to just do it the right way next time. So now I'm saving up for a vacuum pump or aspirator and an adaptor, then I'll be in business.