View Full Version : Robot sentinel

DyeVad
November 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
'http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg078_robot-sentinella'

Robot sentinella
Uploaded by Alice_in_Wonderland

The robots will go on sale by 2007 for $ 200,000 and will be deployed on the border between North and South Korea.

You make me laugh. I wonder if they'll make ones you can put on top of a car, plane, ect. and drive around with them shooting at people. Then you could hook the car up online with a satellite transmitter and have it controlled by some kid thinking he's playing a video game like in the movie Toys.

So to combat these you'd need like high distance electromagnet signature goggles and EMP computer guided rocket grenades. Is something like that in existence? If not I will be project manager on that team. I guess you could just get a sniper laser or high density rail gun to take them out, but you'd still need the goggles to see where they where first. Or I guess you could just get a cooled environmental chameleon suit since the gun seems to work off heat and movement.. maybe you could just dress as a tree (ha) since it says it can tell the difference between a human and tree.

megalomania
November 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I don’t think there is much left in the DMZ between the two countries. It probably just shoots anything that moves ED209 fashion…

"You are illegally parked on private property. You have 20 seconds to comply."

There is actually something called Roboguard that came out in 2000 that is an automatic gun toting robot that can even be controlled via the Internet. Yikes…

Jacks Complete
November 15th, 2006, 08:25 PM
A high powered laser or high density railgun? Why not just use a paintball gun to blind it, then stroll past? Or point a microwave oven at it.

It can easily tell the difference between a human and a tree. The tree was there two hours ago, in the same place, it's cold, and that's about it. Humans are warm and move. Of course, you could easily put a board between you and it to hide your heat, then just stroll up to it if there is no sensor fusion.

DeathBlade
November 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
From looking at the video, it seems that it uses thermal and video cameras, thermal to detect heat(people/animals) and the video to track motion, by comparing changes inbetween frames. Kind of like these guys that made a airsoft version.

'http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000427059760/#comments'

Core
November 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
If you want to block heat, use glass. Mythbusters did a show where they tried to fool an infrared camera and by placing a piece of glass in front of the camera lens it block all IR wavelengths it was designed to protect.

Deathblade: I ran across that too and also a paintball version
'http://codeninja.de/autosentry/'

Jacks Complete
November 24th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Anything will do that. It's not just glass, anything thicker than the wavelength of the radiation you want to block, and non-transparent, will block. The better it insulates the better, however, as it takes longer for the heat to transmit through it.

You can also do a neat trick with a bit of glass, and reflect the sun or cold sky at the target, so you seem very different temperatures rather suddenly. Anything with any machine logic would probably think that something going from 3000 degrees C to -50 C is a mistake if it was simply blinding the sensor but slowly.