View Full Version : the minimum amout

Iņaki
November 24th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Could anyone tell me how much is the minimun amount of ap (in grames or the simil in volume) to make it pass from the deflagration phase to detonation one?

------------------
"Nowadays this kind of knowledgment implicates power, but careful īcause power makes people ambitious, and the ambition is whatīll make that stable explosive to blow up at an unthinkable moment...!" - me

SafetyLast
November 24th, 2001, 06:17 PM
That varies on several factors.
when you have a substantial ammount of it in a pile a full detonation does not occur, only what is in the center will detonate due to it being confined by the rest of the AP deflagration occurs on the outer portion.
Primary Explosives are not suited for this kind of use as it is not a very efficient use for them.
I would say an ounce minimum, but then again i'm not sure as I haven't used it unconfined, It is a lot more powerful when properly pressed into a container.

This one time I had ~2 grams of it on the bottom of a small plastic cup (shot-glass sized) I lit a dried pine needle and dropped it into the cup, there was a loud report and the cup was blown into about a dozen small pieces and a couple large ones that were scattered in a 6' radius on my porch. Not a very smart thing to do, but luckily I was not injured.

hey look your signature is longer than your post :)

[This message has been edited by SafetyLast (edited 11-24-2001).]

ALENGOSVIG1
November 24th, 2001, 06:41 PM
I lit 100 grams spread out into a large 1 cm tall pile on a table. when ignited it detonated.

------------------
How much power will you lose if you do not know what they already know?

Explosives Archive (http://surf.to/alexplo)

Madog555
November 24th, 2001, 07:37 PM
if AP is wet you can't realy detonate it, even if confined it will just burst the container, not blow it apart.

------------------
"True freedome is not without anarchy"

PYRO500
November 24th, 2001, 07:50 PM
I once took a spoon full of TCAP and put it loosely in a pile on a bbq grill cover, then I made a trail of ap goint to it, guess what, that grill has a big dent in it

------------------
visit my web page at:
[URL=http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/]

Iņaki
November 25th, 2001, 05:00 AM
thanks guys, i tried to say ap without confinement but i forgot to mention in my post. I put half a gram or so and it deflagrate very fast. I doubt if the shock wave produced by the external ap could confine the internal ap when youīve got more grams. thanks again

------------------
"Nowadays this kind of knowledgment implicates power, but careful īcause power makes people ambitious, and the ambition is whatīll make that stable explosive to blow up at an unthinkable moment...!" - me

mark
November 26th, 2001, 08:08 PM
I once rolled a post it into a loose sort of cone. I threw in enough ap to cover a dime into the little cone and lit it. Bang! The crack scared the hell out of me.