View Full Version : Dreams

c.Tech
November 26th, 2006, 12:21 PM
We all love dreams, find them interesting, weird, happy, and horrible.

What has been a distinct dream that you remember? It could be crazy, whacked, blissful, pointless, strange or the best type of dream SEX ;).

I don’t have many that stick in my mind for over a week but once I did have a dream that started as a horrible kidnapping turning into something much better.

From what I remember it goes something like this.
----
I was trapped, being held captive somewhere, possibly in a cell. I used different techniques to get out (I think lock piking was one of them) and finally broke free.

When I got outside I realised the forest was much like the one on ‘kissing girls’ although luckily I wasn’t getting raped when held captive.

I then realised I was next to 3 other guys who broke out at the same time as me (they were obviously prisoners too)

Suddenly I got the urge to go back, they came back with me and in the house we broke free from there were 4 chicks :D, one for each of us and I knew one of them, the others were her friend.

You can tell what happened from there, it turned into the best type of dream.
----
Now I would love to hear of your dreams and/or nightmares if its not too much trouble.

fiknet
November 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
The problem with dreams is that I have had many vivid ones but I often forget them within moments of waking up, I might consider a dream log but they really don't serve much of an important purpose other then simple amusement.

One enjoyable dream that I remember is that it was a real nice night and I was outside my house and I could fly, then I began flying around my neighborhood and had a pretty good feeling.

Sometimes when I dream I can reach a semi-lucid state, mainly in nightmares where I know it's a dream and I desperately try to wake from it before pain is inflicted.

L012DofWAR
November 26th, 2006, 03:48 PM
The most memorable dream that I've had was a disturbing one, and I've had it multiple times. In it, I start off flying through a black sky. Below me is a city made of dark brown sand. All of the cars, people, roads and buildings are all made of the same color sand, yet I can see distinct features such as people's faces, lines in the road and stop lights. Each time, there is a voice that gives me a "tour" of the city and introduces me to different people. Each time it's different, and hard to remember very many details of the tour. Sort of creepy though...:eek:

On a separate note, I heard that dreams are cause by small amounts of DMT being released into the brain, since all animals release small amounts. That would also explain why filknet and many others forget their dreams soon after waking up. Some say that DMT is also released when the human body is near death, and why humans see things they claim to be "crossing over," when really, they are just tripping and about to die. 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grcqs9cDuN8' Here's where I heard about that for the first time, but I have read about the dreams in a few other places.

Alexires
November 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hmmm, dreams eh?

My favorite one would have to be the one where I am floating. Kind of running around, but levitating about 5 inches of the ground.

The dream that has stuck in my mind for years was this

I was in a dark old house, with other orphans. The keepers always told us that the landscape outside was scotched, and that to venture out would be certain death.

So we hid within the house. We were also told that there were rats in the walls, and that if we weren't in bed or something like that by a certain time, we would be eaten alive.

I developed a burning desire to know what the outside looked like. One evening, I found a hole in the wall of an abandoned section that a rat had chewed through, and before me was the most beautiful landscape I had ever seen. Flowers so thick it was impossible to see the ground, against the backdrop of the setting sun.

*smile* I remember that dream still, and wish I could have it again.

Noticable things about it are, the whole dream was in black and white until i looked outside. Only the outside was in colour, and until that moment i forgot what it was like to see colour, so you can imagine the shock.

This dream has happened to me countless times. If I had to guess, I would say at least 20 times through my life.

Seeing that outside landscape was bittersweet, as it was so beautiful, but I knew I was going to die when I was caught.

Most incredible.

knowledgehungry
November 27th, 2006, 02:27 AM
The worst dreams I have ever had are, after a hard day's work dreaming all night that I am still working, and then upon waking from my dream realizing that I am late for work. By the end of the day you feel like you have worked 60 hours straight. Not fun.

Unfortunately I dream these sort of dreams rather often. I have even "sleep worked" on occassion. I work for UPS and have to load packages all night, one night I woke up to find myself trying to load my pillows under my bed.

Alexires
November 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
*shudder* fuck that. Sleep time is MY time. The day that starts happening, I'm going to take a long holiday (rest of my life).

Really though, that is absolute bullshit. Anything you can do about it? (The work, not the dreams)

c.Tech
November 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM
The most frustrating thing that happens in my dreams (usually makes me wake up because its so frustrating) is when people piss me off so much (usually friends I don’t know why) I try to hit them, but when I try to throw a punch I realise my hits are so week it doesn’t even hurt them, then they usually start laughing which pisses me off even more.

I think this is because of the lack of physical capability that I have when sleeping caries over to my dreams and as I’m unable to swing strong punches whilst sleeping it doesn’t feel like I’m punching in my dream.

Has anybody else experienced this?

fiknet
November 28th, 2006, 01:26 AM
The worst dreams I have ever had are, after a hard day's work dreaming all night that I am still working, and then upon waking from my dream realizing that I am late for work. By the end of the day you feel like you have worked 60 hours straight. Not fun.

I myself have experienced a few of these mainly after a stressful day and I agree they are awful. Normally I will wake up around 3 am and still be thinking in this "Dream Logic" state where I'm awake, tired as hell and trying get back to sleep while still trying to package fast food under my pillow or do school homework in my head.

nbk2000
November 28th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I've had those 'Work while Sleeping' dreams, and completely agree that they suck. :(

I also sometimes have dreams of being back in prison. THAT SUCKS!

Then there's my favorite dream of being gang-raped by my harem of supermodels (I wish I actually had such dreams! :p).

I had one dream recently where I dreamed that I was killing feral cats and, when I was about to butt-stroke a wounded one with my rifle, my bitch aunt grabbed the rifle and was about to hit me with it when I kicked her in the guts. :)

That's when I woke up on the floor with my hip hurting from when I kicked out in my sleep and threw myself out of bed in the process. :D

Cobalt.45
November 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I think this is because of the lack of physical capability that I have when sleeping caries over to my dreams and as I’m unable to swing strong punches whilst sleeping it doesn’t feel like I’m punching in my dream.
I've read that during sleep, a hormone is released that causes a kind of paralysis.

Keeps people from undue activity while sleeping that could get them hurt.

I used to partially awake and couldn't move, I think this might have been the cause.

knowledgehungry
November 28th, 2006, 11:55 PM
There isn't much you can do to stop the dreams from happening. Dreams are the subconcious' way of dealing with stress and problems, so if your work day has been stressful it often will carry over into the dreamworld. Since UPS is a high stress job I just have to deal with it, although the dreams have grown less as I grow more used to the job. That is one of many reasons why I am not planning on being working there by this time next year.

Alexires
November 29th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Fucking Ace knowledgehungry.

As I said, I'd get rid off a job like that as soon as I could. For instance, I loath being at my current job, and its a waste of my life to spend 40 hours a week doing something I hate doing. So soon, I will being into retail (I hope).

Chris The Great
December 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM
The most frustrating thing that happens in my dreams (usually makes me wake up because its so frustrating) is when people piss me off so much (usually friends I don’t know why) I try to hit them, but when I try to throw a punch I realise my hits are so week it doesn’t even hurt them, then they usually start laughing which pisses me off even more.

I connected solidly, I think. I was more concerned because I hit the wall hard enough to take the skin off a few of my knuckles. It was not a fun way to wake up!

He hit me in the back, and I turned around and slugged him... aka the wall. And I slugged him pretty hard, unfortunately.

Jacks Complete
December 4th, 2006, 10:41 AM
It's not a hormone, it is a part of the brain that inhibits movement. The idea is that it reduces almost any movement right down, if not totally suppressed, to prevent you hurting yourself or others. Doesn't always quite work, of course, and sleepwalkers have some serious issues.

I'm trying to unlearn lucid dreaming. It's a nightmare to always be awake. I'm getting there.

Cobalt.45
December 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
It's not a hormone, it is a part of the brain that inhibits movement.
And the part of the brain that does this, does it with hormones.:rolleyes:

It's thought that melatonin has a function in it...

Jome skanish
December 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I keep a dream log next to my bed in an effort to start having lucid dreams...

This one entry:

I'm trespassing in a big house, it is filled with old trash, and I'm looking for things of worth.

I keep walkning through the house, seeing that it is actually an enormous labyrinth with dozens of rooms. Some of them has doors to the outside, but all of these doors seem to lead to different outsides..

After a while I'm told (or, rather mysteriously "know") that I've arrived at an anchorpoint of reality where I have the opportunity to see possible futures.

I see a big house on a slope facing a lake, and I remember clearly how much I want that happy, rich family-life to happen.

I could even draw the house so clear I see it, it's one of those one-and-a-half store (or, more likely 2,5) houses they build in slopes, with a triangular section facing the lake and a pyramidesqe layout of the bigger roof. A wood-deck veranda goes along the frontside, and the whole design is weirdly norse-futuristic. There also is five children and a blond woman whose face I never see, but she's there.

I wake up feeling an uncomfortable emptyness, the image of the house being everyhing my life isn't. Like my unconscious designed the dream to remind me that things currently suck.

Cobalt.45
December 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Would it be possible to dream of doing or committing something that would be against your "moral conscience"?

I read somewhere long ago, that this would be unlikely.

I have had a dream off and on for as long as I can remember, of finding and picking up coins that are laying on the ground.

Sometimes, there are just a few, more often, many. This may occur during a dream that has nothing to do with it. Weird.

Lance000
December 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
On a separate note, I heard that dreams are cause by small amounts of DMT being released into the brain, since all animals release small amounts. That would also explain why filknet and many others forget their dreams soon after waking up. Some say that DMT is also released when the human body is near death, and why humans see things they claim to be "crossing over," when really, they are just tripping and about to die. 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grcqs9cDuN8' Here's where I heard about that for the first time, but I have read about the dreams in a few other places.

Trust me, it's the complete opposite. Dreams are real, meatspace is just a waste of time. But we exist to dominate BOTH "locations", so don't go killing yourselves just yet...

Think I'm rambling? That's normal. But every time I've been arrested, I've seen it happen in my dreams way ahead of time, and almost exactly the way it happens. From an "observer" point of view. I am all around everyone, the police, myself, everyone. I am in the air too, above. But I tell you, there is some weird stuff out there that I can't explain yet.

But some things have happened in different ways than they were dreamt. I don't know for sure if it's because I have been 100% ON and watching every move I make, so as to not do anything that will cause the events to happen, but the net effect seems to become the same result as the outcome of my dreams, but through other ways.

I get these things in non-sleeping conditions too, like once I dropped my mom off at the "interstate" bus terminal, and SMACK i got this feeling that some man was going to threaten her on the bus. She had just gottened on the bus when I got it, but I told her to call me from her cellphone if she wanted anything, so the day passed and she called me after getting to her destination, and told me this drunk guy had been harassing her and other passengers, and she had talked back to him, prompting manhandling by the drunk, and some heavy bruises on her arm. I asked her why she hadn't called me, but she said "I grew up in the city, I can handle myself as well as you" yeah, right... she's weak and grew up in the nice old 60's.

We have a tradition for listening to our dreams and gut feelings up here, (I'm from scandinavia by the way...) but people don't pay attention to these things anymore. On Iceland the people can actually still say that they believe in their dreams, because everyone believes in it, and it's not populare to call people crazy because they have more information flowing to them from various sources. If you dream that your fishing boat goes down on iceland, then you don't fish for a couple of days. It's that simple. That's what I do too. Just steer clear of everything that can remotely get you in trouble. That's what I think dreams are really for.

knowledgehungry
January 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I just had the craziest dream last night.

In the dream I was at a bar, but the bar had been closed to the public and instead it was filled with people from here. I forget which members. It was pretty cool just to sit at a bar and shoot the shit about E@W with people.

tiac03
January 29th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I miss nightmares. I havn't had a good ol' scare you awake dream since I was in gradeschool. Think it is from desensitizing myself to violence with movies and internet.

I have had the "Punching dreams" and the "trying to runaway from something but being pushed back by the wind" (or some other unseen force) dreams and the most aggrevating ones, the "have a gun to shoot things with but they don't fire" dreams.

One recurring Dream I used to have as a child was having to walk into a waist deep body of water inorder to trip a lever to empty the water (different levers every time though). Once the lever was tripped a whirlpool formed and I had to get out of the water before it pulled me under. Landscape was always desolate.

Last couple of dreams I remember were to do with being part of a team that is given orders and equipment (fun equipment at that) to carry out certain missions involving the A word. Always woke up before we took anyone out... damned phones... lol

Lewis
January 29th, 2007, 03:12 AM
It's fairly ironic because the dreams we are prematurely awoken from are the only ones we can remember!

Think how many grand finales we've had from dreams that had enough time to draw to their conclusion because of complete sleep, only to suffer amnesia from it!

c.Tech
January 29th, 2007, 05:17 AM
It's fairly ironic because the dreams we are prematurely awoken from are the only ones we can remember!

You can actually remember your other dreams if you write them down as soon as you wake, its one of the things you need to do to teach yourself lucid dreaming. This becomes a bitch when your trying to write them down whilst tired every morning.

I used to have reoccurring dreams or characteristics as a child, one of the things that was in a few of my dreams is the inability to call for help. I would get to a point where fear had overcome me and I couldn’t move then when I finally snapped out of it I yelled at the top of my lungs but nothing would come out, how much I feared for my life multiplied by 10 then I woke up because I was too scared.

I used to have falling dreams as well, one where I would be falling and falling and falling with nothingness around me just black, then I hit the bottom.

Another reoccurring dream I had was where I was trying to save a friend at school from some guy with a gun, it was only us 3 and I hid him then tried to get him to safety. When I finally got him out I got shot.

A reoccurring dream my father had was quite creepy, he was standing on a beach next to a short black man who he said looks Sri Lankan. They saw the water getting pulled out, looked at each other and said, "We better run."

2 weeks after the 2nd time he had the dream the Asian tsunami disaster happened.

anonymous411
January 30th, 2007, 04:31 AM
If you're having troubled sleep, you might want to take an extra B-complex vitamin and another 50mg of niacin (B3):

Ebben et al., investigated the effect of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) on dreams in a placebo-controlled, double-blinded study. The researchers examined if vitamin B6 increased dream vividness or the ability to recall dreams. A dozen college students participated in three treatment conditions (ingesting either 100mg B6, 250mg B6, or a placebo prior to bedtime) for a period of five consecutive days.

Findings showed a significant difference in dream-salience scores (measures included vividness, bizarreness, emotionality, and color) between the 250mg condition and placebo. Vitamin B6 might increase cortical arousal during periods of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the researchers suggested.
P. Chan et al. investigated the safety and efficacy of vitamin B complex capsules in a double-blinded, placebo-controlled study in elderly patients with severe nocturnal leg cramps. After three months of the study, 86 percent of the patients taking vitamin B had prominent remission of leg cramps, whereas the placebo group experienced no difference. The frequency, intensity and duration of nocturnal leg cramps were reduced. Vitamin B complex is a relatively safe and effective alternative, which clinicians should consider in the treatment for nocturnal leg cramps.

Other studies suggest that vitamin B12 may maintain the homeostasis of sleep and/or wake cycles, improve the sleep quality and increase alertness in a work environment.

cyclosarin
January 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I don't think I've ever had recurring dreams, mine seem to be based strongly on things I've recently experienced such as movies or events from the previous day.

I've tried recording dreams but I usually assume that I'll still remember it later on.