View Full Version : Just purchased

TheBlasterMan
November 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Well this is my first post so dont chew me out if i did something wrong

I plan on making Flash Powder, I purchased Ammonium Perchlorate and Powdered Alumminum 625 mesh.

here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-Powder-1LB-625Mesh-Lowest-SHIPPING-buySAFE_W0QQitemZ150062193690QQihZ005QQcategoryZ25 67QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ammonium-Perchlorate-Superfine-Powder_W0QQitemZ270053054645QQihZ017QQcategoryZ104 233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I beleive this should work, im using 70 percent Ammounium Perchlorate and 30 percent Aluminum. What do u think about his? I chose Ammonium Perchlorate of Potassium because i was toled its safer, better to use, and i know for a fact its cheaper. What are your 2 cents?

beirut
November 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
That won't work. PKunlimited sells spherical atomized Al, which is useless in flash powder.

This is from the thread "Problem with flash powder" in Pyrotechnics.
xXexplosivesXx:
Many people believe it has to do with surface area, but in reality, a spherical particle has much more surface area than a flake relative to its mass, but a flake will burn much faster and light easier due to a spherical particle's tendancy to absorb the initial heat of reaction, requiring more energy input to burn.

Thread for reference: http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/pyrotechnics/5144-problem-flash-powder.html

Bert
November 27th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Time to feed the beast.

Failure to read and abide by the rules. First post starts a new thread on a previously (heavily!) discussed subject, in the wrong section to boot... Poor grammar and spelling, I/i, and k3wl sp33k use of "u" for "you".

deadman
November 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
TheBlasterMan:

Since you were "toled" that ammonium perchlorate is safer than potassium perchlorate, didn't you bother to ask if it would work in a pyrotechnic composition (not other explosive) using a ratio designed for a completely different oxidizer?

As for your "Powdered Alumminum" it would be much more effective for flash if you ball milled it with brass media for a few hours to distort the spherical shape of the aluminum.

For a castable rocket fuel, what you have is just fine (exluding binder and curing agent), but for flash I'd rethink your strategy.

Last question: How do you figure that $19 for a pound of ammonium perchlorate is cheaper than under $9 for potassium perchlorate?

TheBlasterMan
November 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Im going to catch hell for this but i cant purchase chemicals from suppliers. Im 17 years old so its harder for me to get them (must be 21). It would be nice to have a private supplier, can anyone help me out? If what im hearing is true im going to use potassium perchlorate.

Sorry for the spelling and grammer mistakes.

Cindor
November 28th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Don't you even look for prices ???

KClO4 is made by electrolisis (KCl + 4 H2O + Electricity > KClO4 + 4 H2 )

NH4ClO4 es made by neutralization (NH4OH + HClO4 > NH4ClO4 + H2O), so you fist have to get the Perchloric Acid from the Sodium/Barium salt and then react it with ammonium.

c.Tech
November 28th, 2006, 02:33 AM
It may be a little harder to get the electrodes for the reaction from chlorate to perchlorate, and if you want NH4ClO4 make sure your perchlorate contains no traces of chlorate or you will get the extremely unstable NH4ClO3. On the chlorate/perchlorate thread/s there is something about decomposing chlorates.

tmp
November 28th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Actually, ammonium perchlorate can be made by the metathesis method
with another perchlorate. The bitch is getting the shit to dry completely
without reaching its decomposition point(above 66C, IIRC). Drying under
vacuum works well for me but it's still time consuming.

TheBlasterMan, you violated several Forum rules and a member has pointed
this out. It'll be up to a moderator or administrator to determine what
happens now.

In the mean time read The Rules and UTFSE. NH4ClO4 is more expensive than
KClO4. $19 + shipping for a pound of NH4ClO4 is a ripoff IMHO !

TheBlasterMan
November 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I dont want to get into the manufactering process of producing chemicles, i am not experienced enough. Safety is on my mind, I want reliable resources. Ive decided to go to Potassium Perchlorate, and Aluminum Powder with mesh greater then 600. Anyone know any private suppliers? Once again, sorry for the inconvenience.

nbk2000
November 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Sure, why not...we'll just give up our precious reliable sources to a total n00b who has contribute exactly ZERO to us, just for the asking. :) :rolleyes:

Oh, and I just LOVE the sloppy grammar.

What a punter.