View Full Version : Pyro Tube capping Tool

CosmikDebris
November 30th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Here’s a neat little capping tool I made up the other day.
The base is made from 6061, 2” AL round, drilled then bored to achieve a perpendicular
. Inside finish resulting in a square plug to tube fit.

The top piece, or arbor is 6061, 1-1/4”AL round turned to slight taper at the cap end, and machined to ½” to fit in a drill press.

The tool gives a little peace of mind when filling to 20 grams with your favorite flavor.

If anyone wants a drawing for this or other sizes, I will be happy to provide them.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97915062@N00/

stupid939
December 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I have made similar tools mainly used for capping 9/16" tubes. I can tell that you are getting your 1" tubes from cannonfuse, but I find that most of the rims on the paper caps are not very concentric. This makes it a little harder to get each one perfect, but your going to blow them up anyway.

I found that it is easier to do it by hand (instead of on the drill press) because you can hold the caps on the tool while pressing them into the tube. I got better results this way, because the caps do not crumple as easily.

Anyways, good work and keep experimenting to find the best results.

deadman
December 7th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Of course it is "easier" to do it by hand because you can feel how the plug should go in. But not everyone is using desensitized flash. It could be used to cap other, more sensetive explosives, or just for a fun way to practice his lathe skills and just because he can.

Anyways the usual kudos is in order, but also some sort of unneeded safety warning like- if you need to use a machine for pressing a cap on instead of using your hands shouldn't you use a blast shield?

By the way. If anyone is looking for a thick piece of plexiglass go to Macy's. Look for the flat tables with clothes and then a piece of thick plastic mini table placed on top for it. It looks like a small bench and is probably about 1.25 inches thick. About making it your own, use your imagination.

Cobalt.45
December 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
By the way. If anyone is looking for a thick piece of plexiglass go to Macy's. Look for the flat tables with clothes and then a piece of thick plastic mini table placed on top for it.
Then what? Haul ass out the door with it?:rolleyes:

Thick plastic, while not found everywhere, isn't made of unobtainium.

The same places that sell plate glass often has or will get any size/ thickness you want. Not to mention eBay...

Bert
December 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM
If you're intending to make a blast shield of clear plastic, it is best to use several thinner alternating layers of hard and flexible plastics rather than one thick piece of one type or the other. Be sure that flexible pieces are set deep enough into a strong frame material to prevent them flexing out of their grooves under impact.

Regarding the tube plugger, I used to use a wooden dowel with a reduced end made on a lathe, inserting the plugs by hand. I came to prefer using a setting type joint compound or Durham's water putty for end closures as they were more suitable for production situations- Also cheaper than buying the several different sizes of plugs one might need.

Cobalt.45
December 8th, 2006, 11:22 PM
When I require a good, pressure resistant plug without the weight (and waiting) of putty or plaster-type compounds, I use wooden plugs.

Using a plug cutter (available in any size) in a drill press, I can cut out 144, 3/8" plugs from one yard stick. The yard sticks are given away a couple times a year at Ace Hardware, or can be bought for not too much.

I also hit Home Depot up for paint stir sticks- they work well, also. If you get someone who you can deal with, they'll often hand you a fist full, gratis.

The plugs are easy to install. A little glue of your choice to match the application, insert the plug edge first, then seat with a dowel pressed in from the other end.

Takes longer to say it than to do it.

deadman
December 9th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Regarding the plastic: If you don't mind getting funny looks, I'd say walk out with it. It's not a product and even though it is technically shoplifting employees didn't seam to mind; although, I am sure a manager would say something. Also, I know thick plastic isn't very rare and that multiple sheets of a polycarbonate would be a much better choice, but for a quick "free" piece of plastic why not try Macy's? I'm not preaching it, just offering. The first thing the plastic reminded me of was the blast shield on Dan Williams rocket press.

So when you say alternating hard then soft, would it be acrylic/lexan/acrylic/lexan/acrylic?

Does Ace really give out yard sticks? Is wood a good endplug for many things? Or is it more of a salute only plug?

CosmikDebris
December 22nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hey guys

Thanks for all the replies.

The blast shield used is a strip of flexible plastic I secured from a walk-in freezer at work. (Forklift flaps)

The arbor piece is relieved for consist depth and has a slight taper to assure fast and accurate alignment.

nbk2000
December 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Freezer flaps are made of clear vinyl, and wouldn't stop a pellet from an air-gun, let alone shrapnel from an exploding firework. :rolleyes: