View Full Version : triangles

kanbayat
June 30th, 2002, 07:52 PM
I have been making triangles for over 25 yrs. first saw them in mexico in 1969..they are still sold there(live 60 miles from mexico).I first used plaster of paris sulpher and aluminum powder(paint grade)..these required a first fire(matchheads) and were quite powerful..plaster was used as an oxidizer in ww2.. at times when there were shortages. paper sacks are the best in my opinion as long as the strips of paper are damp when folding so as to grip the paper successfully. Has anyone else used the plaster Formula..1/3 of each..plaster,sulpher,aluminum by weight?..I used a homemade fuse..simply matcheads dislved in isopropyl and put streng init let dry then dip in nc laquer..waterproof..

JohnDoe
June 30th, 2002, 09:03 PM
I've never heard of that formula, but i have never made a triangle cracker, only seen pics of them on the internet. I was thinking of making some, but the only thing i have on hand is BP. i was wondering if it would even be worth trying to make some using bp. would the bp even make a suitable bang? are there any other suitable formulas that can be made from easily acquired materials?

Anthony
June 30th, 2002, 11:26 PM
It depends on the qualit of your BP... As long as it isn't green meal or anything, then it should work.

kanbayat
July 1st, 2002, 09:18 PM
you could start out with matchheads(they will work) but the report is tayher unsatifactory. I have used 4f pb in the past ..quite a loud bang...of course it won't compare to a good flash...they are fun to make and have instant gratifcation(no waiting around for glues and end plugs to dry.)..For a wild but unpredictable effect try rocket powder from either estes or bottle rockets...One effect I like is to make one with a shorter fuse useing etheir 3-4 f bp or flash. tape 2 toghether with scotch tape. rig it so the longer burning fuse will ignite the shorter. light the long fuse, throw in a 50 gallon can. the first explodes and throws the other straight up about 25 feet,then it explodes..lotsa fun.