View Full Version : Nonex

Bert
December 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
There was a fire with multiple injuries at a fireworks company in the Midwest last month. I've received information that the company was making cartridges for a low explosive rock blasting system, said to produce only Nitrogen, CO<sub>2</sub> and water vapor upon deflagration- I take it from that information that the powder may be related to the tetrazole based airbag inflator compositions?

It's claimed not possible to detonate these, and the cartridges are classed 1.4S or 1.4C (same as a gas generator cartridge or small arms ammunition) depending on which source I look at. On the face of it, that's insane. If it will blast rock in a borehole as effectively as black powder, it will certainly blow up a shipping container or other confined storage quite effectively. The company web sites repeatedly calls the stuff "non explosive". ATFE defines Macgyver bombs as explosive devices and they don't even burn. Claims are made that a construction company can just keep these in their trucks or on their jobsite with none of the storage and transport requirements for normal explosives. I'm going to have to ask my BATFE agent about that... Nice if it's true.

Here are links to a couple of divisions of the company offering these:
http://www.nonex.com/
http://www.nonex.co.za/2_1overview.htm
http://www.nonex.ie/

I'm interested in the chemistry of these devices, of course. I'd also be interested to know if any of you have seen or used this system.

Chopper
December 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I've never seen the devices personally Bert, though I can tell you that they were used in the rescue of the two miners that were trapped in Tasmania earlier this year. The last cartrige was reportedly fired just 45cm from the guys, with no ill-efect. A little fly-rock but nothing to worry about.

It's probably of no consequence, but I think you'll find that the company actually claims the cartiges release mainly the gases you mention, not exclusively.

I note that double-base powder is less than worthless for most fireworks, since the burn-rate climbs expoentially with increased pressure and starts at a rather low figure at atmospheric pressure. Unlike BP, that has a much flatter curve, that's higher at the origin - rendering it usefull for fireworks.

Given that the classification 1.4 whichever-it-is mandates that the product must not explode when ignited in it's original packaged form, it sounds reasonable enough that yet-another formulation may be seen to exhibit a similar burn-rate vs pressure relationship to DB powder.

I looked these things up after the guys were freed from the mine in Beaconsfield, but was never able to come up with much more than the material you mention.

One thing of interest that I did note however, was that the system apears to perform it's work by breaking the rock in tension, rather compression as is the case with HEs. Rather than pulverising the rock with the outward-radiating shockwaves, the system is reported to work by tearing the rocks apart by the gases that are forced into the ever-expanding cracks.

nbk2000
December 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Question is, since it's classified as a non-explosive, can anyone buy it?

I tried calling them several times, but always got a fucking machine, and RTPB'd it (hang up).

Sounds like something that'd have a lot of potential for criminal (mis)use. :)

Low noise fracturing of reinforced concrete...:D

nbk2000
December 14th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Well I got a call back from the idiots! :mad:

I didn't leave a message when I got their recording, but they called me back (the danger of 800 #'s) and asked to speak to whoever called them (they didn't have a name).

When asked what the call was in regards to, they said they manufacture dynamite. :rolleyes:

That's real discrete, given how they're calling back what could have been a wrong number, and with no name to ask for.

What if someone had dialed their number by mistake from work, calling for some other company, and these guys call back asking to speak to whoever called about dynamite.

If the boss or the office toady got that call, or the parent or spouse, guess what could happen?

Felixuxo
November 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi Guys . This is my first post. Based in the UK. A dear friend of mine owns a company called PBC "Nonex" systems here is the link :-

http://www.nonex.co.uk .

He has no connection with the company that you refer to and there are a lot of issues as to who owns the name “Nonex”
The articles that you refer to are very low explosives which deflagrate are placed in haz cat 1.4s and are not controlled due to there design .The MSDS would show basic pyrotechnic compositions and materials These would have little to no interest in the terrorist community where High order detonation is required for maximum effect these are made purely for the break up of rock and do the job very well this is because they are gas generators and work best with a great deal of tamping I hope that has been of use to you