View Full Version : This can't be for real

Gerbil
December 23rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
This guy must literally live under a rock, although his ideas about gun control are just about as intelligent as one:

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.11.6.21654.1217.html

Perhaps the most common justification is that of "self-defense." Rather than relying on our highly trained police force, these people believe in some sort of vigilante justice, not unlike cowboys and robbers in the old west. Books such as More Guns, Less Crime argue for this.

Suppose a person breaks into your house at night and attacks you with a knife. Now, according to the right-wing point of view, you would be justified in shooting him with the gun you keep hidden under your pillow.

However, it is impossible to truly understand the circumstances leading up to this person's breaking into your house. Perhaps he is a minority. Maybe he was made fun of in school for being a homosexual. He is probably poor. Knowing these facts, how can you, an upper middle class exploiter, be justified in ending this man's life? The answer is: you can't.

In fact this man is homeless and was merely looking for some food to feed his starving family. By killing him in so-called self-defense you are no better than a common murderer.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
December 23rd, 2006, 11:12 PM
Noone can be that moronic.... if it is for real, I'm sure the person had a horrible childhood, being beaten repeatedly in the school yard by people he didn't stand up to.

PS: Who the hell calls self defense murder? ugh.

knowledgehungry
December 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM
What worries me more than anti-gun laws is that Americans are stupid enough to fall for them.

cyclosarin
December 24th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Since when has capital punishment been justified for a break in with a knife?

Wouldn't it be better for all concerned to just taser them or spray them with tear gas till they drop the knife and call the police?

ragman7
December 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Don't believe me? Imagine the typical day of the white male hunter:

The hunter gets up early, before daybreak. While shaving, he cuts his face. He tastes the blood and it is good. His desire for the prey has become sexual.

Later that morning, the hunter enters the forest with his phallic firearm, and stalks the great horned beast. He sees one innocently drinking water from a stream, and raises his phallus-gun to his shoulder. Pulling the trigger he releases his sperm-bullet into the innocent mammal. But rather than life, his sperm-bullet spreads death. The deer grunts in surprise, and falls to the ground, dead.

haha, It's gotta be a joke!

Cobalt.45
December 24th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I believe that much of this sort of spew is a kind of "reverse psychology".;)

A semi-clever way of making people see a particular point of view by stating something so outrageously skewed, that the first impulse is to defend the very action that's being called into question.

Which is the intention all along.

This was probably endorsed by the NRA.:D

nbk2000
December 24th, 2006, 01:24 PM

A woman gets in a parking lot elevator, and a man, naked except for a condom on his erect cock and a ski-mask, jumps in with her just as the doors are closing.

Which is more likely?

A) She's about to get RAPED. :)

OR

B) He's just come back from a Masked Streakers ball and put the condom on to keep his johnson warm on the walk back to his car. :p

With some things, it's pretty fucking obvious to anyone who didn't take the short bus to school that nothing good will come from certain actions.

Anyone who breaks into your house at night and with a knife isn't there because they're the Butcher Knife Fairy. They may be coming to slip you one, but it won't be under your pillow. ;)

And, if I was a burglar, given the option of being shot in the head, or carved and skewered by a foot long piece of razored steel and left to die with my entrails around my ankles, I'd rather take the bullet, thank you very much. :)

Gerbil
December 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
A semi-clever way of making people see a particular point of view by stating something so outrageously skewed, that the first impulse is to defend the very action that's being called into question.

That's what I was thinking, but he seems to be keeping up the act fairly consistently if you look at his other posts. Could be a troll, of course...

In other news, apparently it's legal for vets in the UK to own handguns, including .44 magnum :eek: . Talk about a loophole...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1451949/posts

knowledgehungry
December 24th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Wouldn't it be better for all concerned to just taser them or spray them with tear gas till they drop the knife and call the police?

Are you fucking retarded? Have you ever been sprayed or sprayed someone with tear gas? Guess what buddy, tear gas isn't knockout gas, someone can still kill you after being sprayed with tear gas. The same goes for being tasered I have seen videos of people high on PCP completely unaffected by several police tasers.

When it comes to protecting me or my family I won't take the chance of my family getting hurt so some strung out junkie can live a few more months before OD'ing in an alley or getting shot by the cops.

On the issue of the validity of the article I personally belive that people are this stupid, I.E. Cyclosarin.

megalomania
December 25th, 2006, 05:25 AM
What if your taser or teargas misses the target and just pisses him off? What might have been a robbery just turned into a robbery homicide... You don't always need to fire a gun for it to work against a criminal.

Hmm, it would be nice to know the exact situation and psychological makeup of every would be criminal, but that just is pure fantasy. If some stranger carrying a knife is rifling through my cupboards he is getting shot. If he wants food let him go to a church, soup kitchen, or steal from the damn wal mart.

sparkchaser
December 25th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Guess what buddy, tear gas isn't knockout gas, someone can still kill you after being sprayed with tear gas. The same goes for being tasered I have seen videos of people high on PCP completely unaffected by several police tasers.

I agree.

During training for Embassy Security, we are subjected to numerous different types of irritants, and expected to perform our duties as if nothing happened.

The worst one by far was the pepper spray.

The type used was government issue (too strong to buy as a civilian, it is worse than bear spray) crowd control canisters. Training goes as as follows;

You place your side-handle baton on the ground. Half a canister of high octane capsicum oleo spray is hosed onto your forehead/eye/mouth area. You wait for about 20 seconds to make sure it's burning good and hot, and your adrenaline is pumping hard. On the command of the instructor you pick up your baton and start attacking a tackling dummy. I am not talking of a random kamikazi attack! You walk to the dummy and take commands from the instructor as to what type of swing you will use, and where you are to hit the dummy. You stand there hitting the dummy until you have it right, and only then are you allowed to dunk your face into a bucket of cold water. (Cold water is a very temporary relief, the burning is still there for about 12 hours, and the spray stays under your fingernails for weeks. Woe be to the nailbiter!)

People are very able to keep going after being hit by tear gas or what have you. The stuff they used at school was 4+ times higher concentration pepper spray than anything you are (legally) able to buy in a store. And as for CS gas? That shit's a complete joke! There has to be a thick fog of it in the room before it is anywhere near debilitating.

I'd much rather put a shotgun round to their chest than run the risk of being run through, throatcut, or shot. Not for sadistic pleasure, but because that's one of the few ways that a man will drop right then and there with no muss or fuss. Self preservation is high on my list of imperatives.

tmp
December 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM
That idiot is quoting the same psych horseshit that my aunt does. She's a
child psychologist and hates guns. She, like others of her ilk, are fond of
misquoting Freud on the subject of guns - that somehow guns are only
wanted by irrational people. What Freud talked about was the irrational fear
guns. That should sound familiar given the hysteria about home chemistry.
If my aunt had her way, I'd be in psych ward, wearing a straightjacket and
pumped full of sedatives/tranquilizers.

NBK's quote about rapists brought back a memory and a laugh that I got
while watching the movie 'Dirty Harry': :D :D :D
Callahan: Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot
the bastard. That's my policy.

Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?

Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and
a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

The Mayor: He's got a point.

Hirudinea
December 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Tasers and 'gas' aren't completly effective in stoping a man, and since its your house, your entitled to determine what form of defence you want to use. As for Captial Punishment, hardly, when a man puts his head in a lions mouth and the lion bites it off, thats suicide, not murder.

Ropik
December 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
CS sprays are funny toys. Good for enraging, bad for stopping.
Freud said that "People with irrational fear of weapons are usually emotionally and sexually immature", among other things :).
Otherwise, I think that being actually confronted with somebody armed with a butcher's knife would change author's view considerably - if he would live long enough to enjoy it, that is.

nbk2000
December 26th, 2006, 02:12 AM
The bleaters who got guns banned would, after being confronted by a knife-weilding criminal, not have a sudden realization that guns are good for self-defense, but rather, that knives need to be banned too!

Hence, the nonsense in the UK. :p